Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 06:45 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: orphaned

1604 is badly in need of getting an upgrade. You can't build 1000s of houses and expect the existing street system to support the increased load of traffic. Anyone who drives 1604 heading East from the far west side can understand.... 2 lanes don't cut it!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-07-2012 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - post referred to has been removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 06:53 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times

The project would already be under construction but we have a few wacks screaming it will encourage development that already exist. So in the name of Golden Cheeked warbols let's all sit in traffic.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-07-2012 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - post comment referred to has been removed

Old 03-08-2012, 07:29 AM

487 posts, read 992,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satodfw View Post
San Antonio is about 50 years behind the rest of Texas so don't keep your fingers crossed on the freeway thing.
Hmm...I would like some data to back that up. I lived in Dallas and have been to many places around Texas and don't think San Antonio is much different.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:32 AM

487 posts, read 992,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
If the City Council would examine the glacial pace of construction - that might do some good.

On Prue Road today - we have the typical four guys just standing around.

For example, they have had the lamp post bases there for quite a bit. Install them now - while other work is going on elsewhere. But no - they will wait and then take a week to do that.

The inability to multitask is stunning. Most projects if appropriate resources and planning were instaniated would take 1/3 the time, IMHO.

Look at the DeZavala disaster where the road was ripped up and untouched for months.
Have you ever heard of Boston's Big Dig? It took them like 10 more years and $10B more than originally planned to build some tunnels underneath downtown Boston.

I lived in Dallas and it took "forever" to build 121 from Airport to Frisco.

There are many examples everywhere of construction delays, not just San Antonio.

Traveling around the country may benefit some people who think San Antonio is "50 years" behind. There's problems everywhere.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:02 AM

161 posts, read 330,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
Have you ever heard of Boston's Big Dig? It took them like 10 more years and $10B more than originally planned to build some tunnels underneath downtown Boston.

I lived in Dallas and it took "forever" to build 121 from Airport to Frisco.

There are many examples everywhere of construction delays, not just San Antonio.

Traveling around the country may benefit some people who think San Antonio is "50 years" behind. There's problems everywhere.
I think it's more of the lack of progress from petty projects that the initial poster was referring to.

You talk about the big dig in Boston and 121, which had hundreds of workers and was a massive project. Not the same as Prue/DeZavala.

The Prue Rd and DeZavala Rd fiascoes are a mess for several reasons. It shouldn't take 3 years to widen a road for a mile stretch. It isn't that big of a project. But it is pretty frustrating driving by and watching the construction workers getting payed to sit on their rears. Our tax dollars at work!!

Old 03-08-2012, 12:18 PM

69 posts, read 95,969 times
Part of the problem is that contractors allocate resources among multiple jobs. More jobs = more money, but the problem is they spread themselves too thin and the projects take longer to complete. If the city or state wants to expedite things, the solution is rather simple - offer a bonus if it is finished early. The closer the project moves towards the expected completion, the bonus goes down. After expected completion, penalties begin to accrue. I've seen it work well on road projects in other areas - contractors really ensure the resources are dedicated when there is a pot of gold at the end.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:58 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,586 times
When I lived in DC, there was a massive bridge building project (effectively replacing the 8-lane Woodrow Wilson bridge with two new spans @ six lanes each) and the ginormous I-495/95 interchange re-work. One of the tools used to expedite both projects was time bonuses. Essentially, the contractor company was paid extra $$ for each day ahead of schedule (upon completion). However, there were penalties for delays, too. And the fines were pretty steep, if I remember correctly.

I wonder if TX has similar contract rules...anyone know?

--Dim

Old 03-08-2012, 01:02 PM

161 posts, read 330,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hschulz3 View Post
Part of the problem is that contractors allocate resources among multiple jobs. More jobs = more money, but the problem is they spread themselves too thin and the projects take longer to complete. If the city or state wants to expedite things, the solution is rather simple - offer a bonus if it is finished early. The closer the project moves towards the expected completion, the bonus goes down. After expected completion, penalties begin to accrue. I've seen it work well on road projects in other areas - contractors really ensure the resources are dedicated when there is a pot of gold at the end.
This. I think this is a great idea.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:02 PM

501 posts, read 949,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
Hmm...I would like some data to back that up. I lived in Dallas and have been to many places around Texas and don't think San Antonio is much different.
It's best you ignore posters who post inciteful things. There's a term for them I believe.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:11 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post

The project would already be under construction but we have a few wacks screaming it will encourage development that already exist. So in the name of Golden Cheeked warbols let's all sit in traffic.
Warblers. Golden Cheeked Warblers.

The Environmental Impact study has already been ordered, or the first one was completed and we're waiting on the 2nd one, or something like that. Until then, enjoy your traffic by 151.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio