Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:52 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,841,916 times

Advertisements

I think an *authentic* deli could do VERY well - that's one of the things I DO miss from my days of traveling to the NE US! Might note that ah'm 4th-generation SA native, so it ain't a "yankee wishin' fer comfort food" type thing!

One thing Texas also has is a pretty significant gun culture...in a very (IMO) good way. Many of the folks you'll see about routinely carry, and as a result many others have learned to be a bit more circumspect in some of their antics...<G> Now, if hubby is into such, have him drop myself or MajorMadMax a line - both of us are pretty "plugged in" to that scene around here. Also - from personal experience with my own kids, I found that having them involved in shooting sports both taught them gun safety - and a LOT about self-discipline and control. Many of the local 4H clubs in this area have some pretty significant shooting programs - so that's a possible option for the kids if it's of interest, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 07:35 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,996,643 times
I think a good Italian deli would be great, but keep in mind there is no shortage of restaurants in SA so the competition is heavy no matter what genre of food you're offering!

Overall, as a "transplant" myself, the one thing I love about Texans in general is how polite they are. That characteristic seems to be more prevalent in the rural areas (unfortunately, due in most part with the urban areas being swamped by a large influx of transplants), but I don't think you'll find a nicer group of people anywhere than true Texans.

That said, one thing that irritates me more than anything is people who move here and then try to change how things are. Usually they are from either that huge state along the west coast or from up in your neck of the woods (the northeast). Yes, those are more liberal areas as compared to the mainly conservative attitudes down here in the Lone Star State; but I knew what things were like before moving here and felt the better tactic was to embrace and adopt the Texas mindset.

I'm not saying that will be the case with you, but just something to consider. Texas and San Antonio are wonderful places to live, and the general attitude is one of a "live and let live" mentality. And as TRN stated, it is a "gun-friendly" state but if anything, that makes most people tend to be even more polite.

My recommendation is to work to fit in, and folks will not only appreciate it but will accept you more easily. The worst approach that I've seen are the vocal, opinionated types that show up here and immediately and loudly criticize everything they don't agree with. Those few usually don't have the same positive experience that most of us have here...

Cheers! M2

Old 03-22-2012, 09:45 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,342,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I think a good Italian deli would be great, but keep in mind there is no shortage of restaurants in SA so the competition is heavy no matter what genre of food you're offering!

Overall, as a "transplant" myself, the one thing I love about Texans in general is how polite they are. That characteristic seems to be more prevalent in the rural areas (unfortunately, due in most part with the urban areas being swamped by a large influx of transplants), but I don't think you'll find a nicer group of people anywhere than true Texans.

That said, one thing that irritates me more than anything is people who move here and then try to change how things are. Usually they are from either that huge state along the west coast or from up in your neck of the woods (the northeast). Yes, those are more liberal areas as compared to the mainly conservative attitudes down here in the Lone Star State; but I knew what things were like before moving here and felt the better tactic was to embrace and adopt the Texas mindset.

I'm not saying that will be the case with you, but just something to consider. Texas and San Antonio are wonderful places to live, and the general attitude is one of a "live and let live" mentality. And as TRN stated, it is a "gun-friendly" state but if anything, that makes most people tend to be even more polite.

My recommendation is to work to fit in, and folks will not only appreciate it but will accept you more easily. The worst approach that I've seen are the vocal, opinionated types that show up here and immediately and loudly criticize everything they don't agree with. Those few usually don't have the same positive experience that most of us have here...

Cheers! M2

You are so right about this Majormadmax. As a native Texan, it irritates the heck out of me when folks from other places move here and bash our way of life. It's well known how proud Texan's are of our state and our way of life and we just don't take kindly to folks who come here and find everything wrong with our beloved state. There are lots of transplants here that do not appreciate the Texas culture mainly because they do not take the time to understand it. Texas, overall, is a conservative state whose natives are a God fearing, family loving, gun toting, kicked back and relaxed bunch of friendly folks who enjoys beer and bbq with the neighbors. Most Texans would give the shirt off of their backs to help a neighbor and would protect a neighbors family and property just like they would thier own. So my advise to newbies of our fine state, don't judge until you've really "lived" the Texas way. You'd be surprised at how comfortable it is. I absolutely love the transplants who move here and instead of bash everything Texas, they ask questions to learn why things are different and they listen with an open mind. Native Texans like to do the same thing with transplants. We really want to know what it's like to live in other places. We may not always agree on everything but we always find things that we have in common and embrace them.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:31 PM

26 posts, read 65,413 times
You guys are fantastic! I have no issue with guns and an all for my children handling and learning about them ~ my cousin is a gun safety instructor in SA. As for judgmental that's not us at all, which is one of the reasons we want to leave this area ~ we love all kinds of people as long as the heart is good and who wouldn't love a true beer and BBQ??? We are laid back people so getting along up here we've always felt there was a better place for us, we have no intentions on changing anything~why move if you're going to judge and try to change things? I feel we're moving to embrace the differences and enjoy them. Again I love all of your responses I already feel welcome and were not even there yet!!

Old 03-30-2012, 07:27 AM

Thank you again for all the input ~ my family and I are anxiously awaiting for July to finally arrive! Knowing that we are taking a path that will provide a better life for our kids, with better people and way of life is very exciting ~ I can't wait to call San Antonio home

Old 03-30-2012, 08:20 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,625,069 times
i used to live in NJ, near the tri-state area. it was ok, but i dont think it would be ideal for a family.

you should fit right in in SA, but the weather might be something you are nt used too

Old 04-02-2012, 09:50 PM

29 posts, read 90,502 times
I would not worry about the heat. I was born & raised in NJ and to be quite honest, summers are about the same. Now my wife who is from Westchester County, NY, has a different opinion since summers up there are nowhere near as brutal as NJ! She was shocked the first time we went down to visit my family in NJ - after only an hour car ride, the temp goes up 10 degrees and the humidity goes up dramatically.

True on the gun culture, I carry a Glock 23 myself.

We ended up moving to Dallas after a few years in San Antonio but either city is an improvement over NJ in almost all respects.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:57 PM

I'm looking forward to the move, I'm not concerned with the heat ~ we often get into the 90's here as for the guns I'm all for it, I already have arrangements made for my kids to get into gun safety course. I think we will be much happier in SA away from the misery of NJ. Please keep the input coming, I'll be sure to update after we arrive and should we decide to open a deli I will certainly post about it on here --// thank you everyone

Old 04-28-2012, 08:07 PM

166 posts, read 571,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvier38 View Post
I'm looking forward to the move, I'm not concerned with the heat ~ we often get into the 90's here as for the guns I'm all for it, I already have arrangements made for my kids to get into gun safety course. I think we will be much happier in SA away from the misery of NJ. Please keep the input coming, I'll be sure to update after we arrive and should we decide to open a deli I will certainly post about it on here --// thank you everyone

Need Knish's and great Cannoli's!!!

Old 04-28-2012, 08:17 PM

Lol I think we can do that, and my husband makes amazing italian food and in our previous deli we had amazing sandwiches and hot meals ~ we don't do pizza but will be on the search for a descent pizza any input on that lol??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio