Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 09:34 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times

Advertisements

I actually hear less Spanish in San Antonio than I did when I lived in Boston. Then again, I lived in a much lower SES area than I do now. Most people spoke their native language amongst family and friends, and English for communication otherwise. Before moving here, I NEVER thought about whether or not I would hear Spanish.

Just the other day, my daughter and I were in Ross. While waiting in their infernal/eternal line, we counted 5 different languages (that we could actually discern).

The NISD counts at least 65 home languages (self-reported upon school registration) among its students. So Spanish is not likely to be the only LOTE you hear in SA. In any given year, my classroom has about 4-5 LOTE spoken at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 11:17 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,620,661 times
When I ride my bicycle around the neighborhood, I hear lively Spanish music coming
from the radio on the roof tops in the N.E. part of town where workers are remodeling.
Their conversation among themselves is very animated and although I don’t understand
all the words, it is very pleasant to the ear.

They always greet me with a smile and a cheerful hello.
At times the accordion and horns from a Spanish polka sounds German in some
respects. Unique sounds that I enjoy whether German or Spanish.

Last edited by ranchodrive; 05-28-2017 at 11:28 AM..

Old 05-28-2017, 12:09 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,538,629 times
It is true, as an English only speaker, even if you stay strictly on the South Side of SA you will be just fine.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:18 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default South Texas,

When asked during an interview, the legendary songwriter-composer Willie Nelson was suddenly queried if Mexican music had any influence on his music, the musician answered , " Definitely yes".
"The Villareal's lived in three houses across the street from us where I was raised by my instrument playing grandparents in Abbot Texas ( raises a hand motioning from left to the right) when I was a little kid and Mexican music always flowed out of the houses."

I cannot comprehend Mexican speech occasionally also Rancho , however, due to the rapidity of their speech. Once I tell them that they are talking to rapidly for me to be able to understand them , they slow down and I understand every word. I never knew that speech could be uttered so fast. It all blurs together , it is astonishing. Spanish is spoken with the tip of the tongue and lips, moreso than English so these folks can really get wound up sometimes.
English is more of a guttural type language, Germanic. Produced more from the back of the mouth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
When I ride my bicycle around the neighborhood, I hear lively Spanish music coming
from the radio on the roof tops in the N.E. part of town where workers are remodeling.
Their conversation among themselves is very animated and although I don’t understand
all the words, it is very pleasant to the ear.

They always greet me with a smile and a cheerful hello.
At times the accordion and horns from a Spanish polka sounds German in some
respects. Unique sounds that I enjoy whether German or Spanish.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post

I cannot comprehend Mexican speech occasionally also Rancho , however, due to the rapidity of their speech. Once I tell them that they are talking to rapidly for me to be able to understand them , they slow down and I understand every word. I never knew that speech could be uttered so fast. It all blurs together , it is astonishing. Spanish is spoken with the tip of the tongue and lips, moreso than English so these folks can really get wound up sometimes.
English is more of a guttural type language, Germanic. Produced more from the back of the mouth.
Depends.
When I have to conduct an interview (in English) for the TV news camera.
In certain parts of the city, for example, the East side.
At times, I ask politely if they can slow down so that the camera can pick
up what they are trying to convey to me. Also some of the words or
expressions used are foreign to my ears. But I’m sure that my speech is
just as foreign to them as well.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:47 AM

814 posts, read 676,702 times
idioms, is that what they are called ? some expressions are difficult for non-Eng speakers

I won't put up with that

We are down with that

Old 06-04-2017, 05:39 PM

482 posts, read 399,178 times
I lived in San Antonio for five years. This is my comprehensive review of the experience.

San Antonio Likes:
- Pretty city. Attractive, flavorful architecture downtown. The northern outskirts of the city abut the southern end of Texas Hill Country.
- Very culturally unique, a strong Tejano influence.
- Breakfast Tacos!
- Day-trip distance from Austin.
- Day-trip distance from Fredricksburg, Texas and other charming areas throughout Texas Hill Country.
- SeaWorld. It's a wonder of an amusement park. I can't praise it enough.
- Only about 4 hours from some very nice beaches.
- Some decent barbecue and soul food.
- Government Canyon nature preserve.

San Antonio Dislikes:
- Horrible driving city. Absolutely horrible. The worst city for driving I've ever lived in. It gets an F.

There's no grid. They over-use those old-school Texas frontage roads that allow merging vehicles to virtually stop the flow of traffic on major highways and cause needless accidents. Lanes on major highways randomly shift or disappear altogether without warning. And the city always seems to construct one too few many roads to go in and out of new developments. Or put in one too few traffic signals.

There are way too many areas in town where there's only one road to take a person from point A to point B, causes traffic to be worse than it is in some cities two or three times larger. The entire city is like one big cul de sac exit. Plus it's impossible to drive downtown without getting lost, unless a person is either very familiar with the area or uses GPS. Highway splits without giving drivers warning about whether they should go above or below the overpass. Causes needless missed exits and random circling around.

- Excessive sprawl, some of the worst I've ever seen. A new development will get built 6 - 10 miles from the next closest developed area, and no infill projects will be constructed for 3 to 10 years.

- Culture of bad customer service. It's not rudeness so much as a general lack of consideration for other people. Multiple prominent local businesses and services don't care a bit about customer satisfaction, and they get away with it because of the monopolies they have on the market, plus because of the general lack of expectations from their customer base since many lifelong San Antonio residents don't know what good customer service looks like.

- Excessive military population. Don't get me wrong, I'm a patriot and I strongly support our service members and their families. But having several large military bases plus the headquarters of a Fortune 500 company that focuses on services for military personnel has made San Antonio a one-trick pony economically. The city is complacent in terms of attracting or building large scale, private sector businesses that provide ample employment opportunities for civilian residents. There are relatively few viable career paths for residents who are not either in the military, or have some type of military connection (former service member, spouse, etc.) they can leverage to get in the door with a government contractor or that particular Fortune 500 company I referenced above.

Additionally it's undesirable that the local middle-class is made up almost exclusively of military personnel. Again I love military service members and their families, but they are not traditionally known as the most independent or forward thinking bunch -- and that community's relative complacency does nothing to galvanize the city to make major improvements.

- Grossly inadequate park system. The number of parks is small relative to the population, and the parks that exist are limited in available amenities and size.

- Largest percentage of grossly obese residents I've seen anywhere. Frighteningly low percentage of health-conscious residents. Virtually non-exist health-conscious subgroup of residents.

- Overall non-progressive mentality of most residents. I felt like I lacked adequate mental stimulation when I lived there.

Overall:
- I hesitated to write this post because I didn't want to come across as a San Antonio hater or a troll. But without any malice I can truly say that living in San Antonio was more maddening and frustrating than were my experiences living in any other major city. It was clearly a bad fit for me, but I understand how it could be a phenomenal fit for many others. I also know for a fact there are many other major cities I would dislike much more; I just happen to not have ever lived in those places.

Overall I think the best thing about living in San Antonio was that it introduced me to Texas in general. I fell in love with the state overall and still live here, but in another part of it. And I very much value that Texas has so many major cities that combine to provide enough variety of lifestyles for almost anyone to feel like they have a place here, and can take part in or contribute to the economic, cultural, and population explosion occurring right now in our beautiful blessed state.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:33 PM

^^^^^^
On the whole I agree with everything about San Antonio
with one exception in order of dislikes as far as traffic.

#1. Dallas.

#2. San Antonio.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:55 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
I would like to see some statistics on the percentage of the middle class who are military. I lived in San Antonio for nearly 30 years and never got the impression that the middle class was almost exclusively military.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:03 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post

Overall I think the best thing about living in San Antonio was that it introduced me to Texas in general. I fell in love with the state overall and still live here, but in another part of it. And I very much value that Texas has so many major cities that combine to provide enough variety of lifestyles for almost anyone to feel like they have a place here, and can take part in or contribute to the economic, cultural, and population explosion occurring right now in our beautiful blessed state.
heh. I agree with just about all that you posted but my outcome was different. Despite my dislikes, I decided to stay in SA and like it, and vastly prefer it over any other city in the state, even Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio