Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

San Antonio couple considering move to Everett, Washington; looking for details on pacific northwest weather, rain amount, length of summer, cost of living, real estate prices

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:25 AM

470 posts, read 1,952,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
K folks, sorry to revive an old thread, but otherhalf is totally loving it up there and has been asked to consider taking a position there.
Traitor.
There's no place like SA. There's no place like SA.There's no place like SA.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 09:28 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,555,245 times
ROFLOL!!!! Too funny LC!!!! (Love the subliminal messages, too!!)

Old 12-12-2007, 10:33 AM

314 posts, read 2,539,836 times
Quote:
K folks, sorry to revive an old thread, but otherhalf is totally loving it up there and has been asked to consider taking a position there. Specific questions:

1 - If you have school age children who attended public school there and/or here ~ any advice? I've read on the WA forums and really can't figure it out. Can I expect that schools will be similar in academics, better one place or the other? I'm figuring that the schools up there would be more liberal?

2 - Knowing how traffic is here compared to there - would commuting from someplace like Redmond to Everett be too crazy to even consider? Otherhalf's job would be in Everett, so any ideas on areas that would be not too insane of a commute (he drives from Sea World to Kelly here)?
1 - Since we homeschool, I really can't help you with this one. But "Eastside Schools" seam to be pretty good from what I've read. Redmond is considered "Eastside". Some of them made the Gold metal list.

2 - Redmond to Everett would'nt be too crazy. Google maps says 30 to 45 minutes. I would say an hour or more in rush hour traffic. Redmond is a very nice area.

I did the opposite of your other half. I transfered to Kelly from Everett. I'd consider going back there some day, but right now, I'm loving it here!!

Old 12-12-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquajox View Post
2 - Redmond to Everett would'nt be too crazy. Google maps says 30 to 45 minutes. I would say an hour or more in rush hour traffic. Redmond is a very nice area.

I did the opposite of your other half. I transfered to Kelly from Everett. I'd consider going back there some day, but right now, I'm loving it here!!
Giggle! That's the same map I pulled up!! Just wondering tho, in inclement weather if it gets too nuts. He was staying at a hotel in Lynnwood before Thanksgiving, but when he went back he moved to a hotel closer to work, just in case. When you worked at Everett, did you live close by? Which of the surrounding cities would be a commute similar to the Sea World to Kelly drive? Hearing alot about Mill Creek, like it's a good place to try.

And man! Rental homes are relatively cheap out there it seems (compared to buying a place). We're thinking rent for a year or so till we figure out where we want to stay or if we want to stay.

Funny about the switcharoo! Had we known, we coulda just switched houses!!

Old 12-12-2007, 12:11 PM

314 posts, read 2,539,836 times
Quote:
Giggle! That's the same map I pulled up!! Just wondering tho, in inclement weather if it gets too nuts. He was staying at a hotel in Lynnwood before Thanksgiving, but when he went back he moved to a hotel closer to work, just in case. When you worked at Everett, did you live close by? Which of the surrounding cities would be a commute similar to the Sea World to Kelly drive? Hearing alot about Mill Creek, like it's a good place to try.

And man! Rental homes are relatively cheap out there it seems (compared to buying a place). We're thinking rent for a year or so till we figure out where we want to stay or if we want to stay.

Funny about the switcharoo! Had we known, we coulda just switched houses!!
Yeah, we shoulda just switched houses!! Then my wife wouldn't be complaining about our tiny yard!!

We lived in Lynnwood close to the Mall, and it took 15 to 20 minutes to get to and from work. The same as it takes me now from Westcreek to Kelly. We loved living in Lynnwood, but many people on the other forums disagree. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods within' a 2 mile radius of the Alderwood Mall.

Mill creek is very nice, but traffic in and out of Mill creek is horrible. If you like Mill Creek and Redmond, I would suggest Edmonds. The commute would be 20 to 35 minutes, and Edmonds is very nice. I'm not sure how the schools are, but Edmonds is as nice as Redmond and Mill Creek, but closer to work. The closer to the water, the nicer Edmonds gets.

Well, gotta get back to work, but look into Edmonds, Mukilteo, and Silver Lake. Even Lynnwood if your feeling lucky!!

Old 12-12-2007, 01:02 PM

Fabulous!! Lynnwood is definitely on the radar then!! Otherhalf really seems to like it, so as long as the commute will be do-able when there's ice/snow, it sounds good! And since there's a Trader Joe's there, I'll be happy!!

And funny about your wife and the yard! I'd be happy to give her some/all of ours. We have a big lot (about 1/2 acre) and it's just too darned much work. Only one that seems to enjoy it is our Great Dane. Kids never play in it. I'd be thrilled to be in a townhome with only a courtyard and a nice community playground!!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:21 PM

28 posts, read 133,774 times
If your workplace is in Everett, I would recommend living N of Everett. Mt Vernon and Bellingham are very scenic towns. Medium size with a lot to offers. Real Estate pricing is attractive as well. Commuting from the North end of Everett is much more easier vs. from N Seattle (ie Edmonds, Millscreek)

Old 12-13-2007, 08:22 AM

732 posts, read 3,553,234 times
Mt. Vernon and Bellingham are a pretty far drive from Everett....and traffic north of Everett (in that general area) is really, really bad. Plus, those are pretty small communities. We lived in Anacortes (just near Mt. Vernon) and were pretty unhappy there. It was beautiful, but the weather really got to us - oh and all the power outages in winter - imagine having no heat for 12 hours in the middle of winter with a wee baby in the house.....

I've been holding back on putting my 2 cents in this discussion because I don't want to discourage you from your excitement about a possible move but here goes......

In my experiences people either love the rain (the endless rain) or hate it. Do you know which camp your in???? If not, you may find yourself moving again in a year or two.... I would encourage you to make the move a temporary thing...to see how you like it....If you love it (and many people do) great! If not, you haven't left yourself without options.

When we first arrived in that area we absolutely loved it and couldn't imagine a better place to be in the world...but over time....the lack of sunshine and constant drizzle (did I mention Anacortes gets an average of 60 days LESS rain per year than Seattle area?) slowly took it's toll on us.

Just please be realistic about the fact that you might, possibly, hate the weather. If you've grown up with it...it's probably not as difficult. But if you're used to sunshine, it may be a tough adjustment.

Sorry if i've taken any wind out of your sails but just thought I'd share my experience with you. Keep your options open, if you can.....

Old 12-13-2007, 10:40 AM

797 posts, read 2,992,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackm3 View Post
If your workplace is in Everett, I would recommend living N of Everett. Mt Vernon and Bellingham are very scenic towns. Medium size with a lot to offers. Real Estate pricing is attractive as well. Commuting from the North end of Everett is much more easier vs. from N Seattle (ie Edmonds, Millscreek)
I highly doubt you will find it a good commute from the north. Especially since WADOT launched a huge construction project stretching from Marysville to South Everett earlier this year.

There is another Boeing employee looking to move from S TX to Everett asking similar questions in the Seattle forum. You can read my 2 cents about schools and commuting there if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midorigreen View Post
In my experiences people either love the rain (the endless rain) or hate it. Do you know which camp your in???? If not, you may find yourself moving again in a year or two.... I would encourage you to make the move a temporary thing...to see how you like it....If you love it (and many people do) great! If not, you haven't left yourself without options.

When we first arrived in that area we absolutely loved it and couldn't imagine a better place to be in the world...but over time....the lack of sunshine and constant drizzle (did I mention Anacortes gets an average of 60 days LESS rain per year than Seattle area?) slowly took it's toll on us.

Just please be realistic....
Midorigreen is right, the weather is no joke, it is the furthest thing from SA weather so beware! Drizzle drizzle drizzle and more drizzle, consider yesterdays (57degrees, dark overcast and showers) SA weather for 3months straight, than drop the temps another 20+ degrees (45-35temps) for another 3 months, warm it back up 20+ degrees (55-60temps) for another 2months and you've got September to April in the great PNW.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:36 PM

Thanx midori and noplace! (and blackm3!) We are really considering the Lynnwood area the most. Otherhalf heard that it is considered more "city" and less suburban? Anyway, that's what we'd be looking for if we do it.

And I do know that the weather is a very real consideration, not taking it lightly. I have been loving the dreary, drizzly weather. Hooooooowever, since I've lived in the Southwest my whole life (grew up in Phx, lived in Huntington Beach for years, and now here) I understand that this has only been a few days and that the continual day after day, week after week, year after year could well get to me. We're planning on keeping our house here and renting up there for at least a year. That way, if we love it, great. If not, we can come back.

And funny nplWA that you noticed that post in the WA forum! Two of our closest family friends who are also Boeing employees are also moving up there (altho their plans are definite) and our best couple friends (also Boeing employees) moved up there about 6 months ago. Weird.

Thanx so much for all your input!!! I really do appreciate it!

edit ~ just started reading the thread you linked, nplWA. Great thread, thanx!!!

Last edited by jules07; 12-13-2007 at 02:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio