Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

San Antonio couple considering move to Everett, Washington; looking for details on pacific northwest weather, rain amount, length of summer, cost of living, real estate prices

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 03:15 PM

17 posts, read 111,764 times

Advertisements

jules07
I live in the south sound area, not up by Everett. Puyallup is supposed to have good schools.
Please take a careful look at the schools issue. WA (like other states) has the statewide standardized test. Tests reading, math, science etc. If your child doesnot pass one portion of the test (say reading), they have to take 2 reading classes next year. If they don't pass two portions, then of course they have to take 2 classes of each portion that they failed. My son was denied orchestra this year (2 previous years on the french horn) because he failed the math wasl by 5 points. I was even told by one teacher 2 years ago that she could not teach spelling to my then 3rd grader because she had to teach the wasl.
Class size is also an issue, due to the increasing development. My 4th grader had 34 children in his class last year.
Teachers strike every other year or so. School was out in Marysville for over 6 weeks due to a strike last year.
Lots of people around here homeschool or private school.
Sorry, I am kind of passionate about this because I am so effected by it.
Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 10:21 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,780,427 times

!!!!!~~~~~~~~~OFFICIAL BULLETIN~~~~~~~~~~!!!!!

THE JULES/OTHERHALF FAMILY OF SAN ANTONIO, TAYAXUSS, IS OFFICIALLY BARRED FROM SEEKING A HOME ANYWHERE OUTSIDE OF BEXAR COUNTY TEXAS.

AN OFFICIAL RESTRAINING ORDER, SIGNED BY JUDGE ONO YOUDONT CAN BE FOUND ON FILE IN THE BEXAR COUNTY COURTHOUSE.

FURTHER, IT HAS BEEN ORDERED BY THE HONORABLE JUDGE ONO YOUDONT OF BEXAR COUNTY, THAT ANYONE ASSISTING THE JULES/OTHERHALF FAMILY IN RELOCATION, TRANSFERRING, JUMPING SHIP, SKIPPING TOWN, BAILING OUT OR OTHERWISE MOVING OUTSIDE BEXAR COUNTY SHALL BE HUNTED DOWN, CAPTURED AND TURNED OVER TO OFFICER BARRY COLDWEATHER.

SIGNED,
S A FORUM PRESIDENT AND RULER-IN-CHIEF

Old 12-14-2007, 10:58 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,069,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
We're planning on keeping our house here and renting up there for at least a year. That way, if we love it, great. If not, we can come back.!
Well, PGR, looks like one court order they may be violating. And sounds like soon. Keep trying to enforce!!

*but if we had the flexibility to move for a year, just a year , and come back, hecks yeah, we'd vaporize in an instant!

Old 12-14-2007, 11:56 AM

470 posts, read 1,954,363 times
At the next M&G, you guys keep Jules distracted while I place a tracking beacon on her vehicle. I'll try to rig it to the main ECU using microguides... and put a 100-mile engine stop on the secondary circuits. I'll also rig it to activate on all airport GPS points in case she tries to make a run for it via air.

Paka, make sure you put some WASUX potion in her drink. Not the kids, just her.

We should send bulletins to Bexar County Sherrif and SAPD. I'm working on this over the weekend.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:12 PM

337 posts, read 1,433,126 times
Default Lived There, Done That!

Hey Jules! Shoot! I just joined the forum and now you're trying to get away? What's up with that?

Well...gotta say....hubby and I moved here 3 yrs. ago from Olympia. He worked in Olympia and my job took me all over WA. I spent a lot of time in the Everett area. Most of what has been posted here already I would heartily agree with. As per the schools....that's right. The teachers up there, especially Marysville, do not get their contracts renewed each year automatically, and are often ON STRIKE before a new school year begins. This means the kids start late, and end late! I had two special needs kids in the schools up there (Olympia) and we were very happy.

A word about the weather......."PERMAGRAY"! 'Nuf said.

Cost of groceries....higher than here, but also, more stores to pick from. I loved Albertson's and Top Grocery.

Also, must say.....you will get access to the most wonderful seafood than we ever get here! When the Copper River Salmon hits the stores.....GET IT! It's pricey, but well worth it!

My husband recently had a chance to take a postion in the Everett area, and we considered it, so I guess we decided that we could do it again. The scenery is gorgeous....loved the mountains, all the green trees, the fresh air.

We did find it hard to break through that PNW ...um..what should I call it....tight-knit community. The PNW is crowded and there are people everywhere, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily throwing out the welcome mat either. If you already have friends or family there you are wayyy ahead of the game. Otherwise, it can be hard to break the ice. One thing we really love about San A is how outwardly friendly the people are here.

An excellent idea about RENTING a place....that's what we did. We rented a place in what we thought was the best school district for our kids, knowing we could move easily to another district if the first one didn't work out.

Well, that's about it for MY take on the PNW. Hope things work out well for you and your family, although it looks like from previous posts that you may have some trouble getting out of town! :-)
Best Wishes! Cindy

Old 12-14-2007, 02:22 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,069,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinocowboy View Post
At the next M&G, you guys keep Jules distracted while I place a tracking beacon on her vehicle. I'll try to rig it to the main ECU using microguides... and put a 100-mile engine stop on the secondary circuits. I'll also rig it to activate on all airport GPS points in case she tries to make a run for it via air.

Paka, make sure you put some WASUX potion in her drink. Not the kids, just her.

We should send bulletins to Bexar County Sherrif and SAPD. I'm working on this over the weekend.
Um, you're scaring us.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:02 PM

732 posts, read 3,555,068 times
Recovingkrispykreme....Thank you!!!
So it wasn't just our family that had a hard time meeting people???!!!!

I was hesitant to talk about the lukewarm welcome we receive in the PNW because I attributed it to being in smaller community....but maybe it's elsewhere....

As a SAHM, new to the area, it was SO hard to make friends. Seriously, I couldn't give myself away - to anyone! Even for a cup of coffee or a playdate for the kids.....

If you do go...make sure you join a group of some sort (although that didn't really work in my case - they still had their cliques). I'm sure you can find something to your tastes in the Seattle area...

Permagray sums it up best.....what more can I say????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio