Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 08:08 PM
SA5

60 posts, read 136,097 times

Advertisements

As a long time resident transplanted from NY (30 years), I have always loved the people of Texas. Two anecdotes - We have taken many family driving trips around the country and we always know when we're back home in Texas. The first time we stop to get gas invariably another motorist will start up a conversation about where we've been or where we're going. Almost never happens anywhere else. Also, while we have roadside assistance available to us, we've 100% of the time not needed it in Texas. Someone has always stopped to offer assistance, help change a tire or give us a bit of fuel (one time when one of the family challenged the low fuel light). Just a week ago my daughters car wouldn't start and she called for help, before they even got her information someone came up to her to offer a jump start. I have dozens of stories like that and almost all of them took place in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 09:04 PM

545 posts, read 1,061,948 times
Texas has been flooded with immigrants for hundreds of years. This idea that "new transplants" have ruined things is laughable. Enjoy your culture, natural resources, and get over the notion that newcomers have ruined it.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:18 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,013,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanValdez View Post
Texas has been flooded with immigrants for hundreds of years. This idea that "new transplants" have ruined things is laughable. Enjoy your culture, natural resources, and get over the notion that newcomers have ruined it.
Dont agree with you on this.. yes.. we have had immigrants from the South for years.. what has changed is the immigrants from the west and the east.. Meaning the east coast and the west coast. Remember back in the day they all went to the west coast to get jobs.. and the east coast to immigrate.. now they are all coming here to the South to find the jobs they cant find in California and New York.. the attitudes that come with those people are totally different then the people we have here now.. think about that...

Old 08-26-2012, 04:27 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
Please, every corner of the country is saying the same thing. Things change because of time not location although some locations change slower than others.

New people coming in will change the culture through adding in new additions but I doubt this is why we now have rude or distracted drivers.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:18 AM

326 posts, read 681,999 times
I completely agree with Merovee! I've really enjoyed reading everyone's responses to my initial post but very honestly- you could go to another State's forum and there is no shortage of posts listed of a "local" to that State telling you how, "everyone is coming here." Where ever "here" may be ... Apparently everyone is leaving CA to go to_________ and everyone left NJ and NY to go to________. It's sort of comical but every place has the feeling they're being invaded.

This is so tricky! My husband and I have really been kicking around ideas of WHERE to move for our boys to grow up and it's just difficult to decide.

Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio