Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 11:52 AM

14 posts, read 101,280 times

Advertisements

Hello again! City Data and the folks on the San Antonio threads have been such a great resource for me and my family, in regards to our upcoming move to your city. We have signed a lease on a home in Canyon Crossing (78252). I currently have AT&T internet service, but find here in my area of Jacksonville, find that interference with the WiFi signals seem to drag down our speeds and performance. I would like to switch away from them, but wanted some advice as to who has the best, fastest internet speed and WiFi signals in my new area. Any advice? As always, cost is a factor, but not the most important one! Thanks for any input you folks can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 11:58 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
I live a mile or two from there and I use Time Warner. I've been pretty happy with them. They seem to go up $5 a year, but I have very few outages and the speed is good. They'll provide the wireless router if you need it. We've got lots of devices using the wifi and have been happy with the speed on all of them.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:43 PM

332 posts, read 529,673 times
my line of work is now requiring me to have a bigger upstream than ATT offers.

its been almost a decade since scum warner inhabited my home. what im most curious about is, when your promo price is up, will they resub you to a new promo, or you only get one and thats it?

ATT is *very* good about putting me back on promos when mine expires. i havent paid more than 25 a month (with taxes) since i signed up with them a long time ago (almost a decade) and i get their 6 down / 756k up package. uverse isnt an option if its not in your area now, as they have pretty much finished rolling out uverse for SA.

is scum warner this good? do they have a bigger upstream package that allows for something around 3-6 megs up?

Old 10-10-2012, 02:21 PM

TWC hasn't offered me any new deals. I pay $57/month including taxes and that's for their 20 down/ 2 up package. They have two options that are faster than that but I don't want to upgrade. I have thought about calling to ask if there's any kind of deal they can offer me, $57/month seems like a lot for internet. My daughter goes to online school though so we have to have reliable internet service and so far they've been extremely reliable.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:14 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,822,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessQQmorePEWPEW View Post
my line of work is now requiring me to have a bigger upstream than ATT offers.

its been almost a decade since scum warner inhabited my home. what im most curious about is, when your promo price is up, will they resub you to a new promo, or you only get one and thats it?

ATT is *very* good about putting me back on promos when mine expires. i havent paid more than 25 a month (with taxes) since i signed up with them a long time ago (almost a decade) and i get their 6 down / 756k up package. uverse isnt an option if its not in your area now, as they have pretty much finished rolling out uverse for SA.

is scum warner this good? do they have a bigger upstream package that allows for something around 3-6 megs up?
Cause AT&T is so much more concerned about the little guy, right?

They're all crap when it comes to customer service, but TWC still offers some of the best speeds, both up and down, in this city. I'm on wideband with Time Warner and getting at least 50mbps down and 7mbps up. I test daily and it's rare that I'm not pulling those numbers routinely.

BN

EDIT: All being said, if DL speed is what you're wanting, look to see if Grande is available in your hood. They currently have the fastest DL speeds of any major carriers in San Antonio... Around 110-120 mbps. Until we can entice Google to install gigabit in the city, that's about the best one can do.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:13 PM

We don't have Grande out this way, as far as I know. I had Grande when I lvived at 281/Bitters, and they were very fast. My bill was a different amount every month though and I'd call to ask them and they'd say, "Hang on, let me give you your real total," and then I'd question it and they'd say, "No, this is actually your real total" and come out with a totally different number. They also made me purchase a modem and then demanded it back when I moved, even though I had bought it and had the receipt. I had a lot more outages with them than I have with TWC, mostly at night.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:21 AM

2 posts, read 43,826 times
I subscribe to U-Verse. $47 a month for 17mbps. SPeed is consistent and they never go down. Faster speeds are avalable.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:57 AM

14 posts, read 101,280 times
I dont do any gaming or anything, but do stream Netflix and other streaming services to my SmartTV. I usually have my TV, BluRay, Mobile phone and PC using the WiFi signal. If AT&T was consistent, I would not hesitate to keep them, but it always seems likes I have a sketchy signal and my speeds always lag (which causes my streams to TV to lag, have ppor picture quality, or spurts of buffering while watching). I called Verizon and they dont offer internet services in that area. I also called Time Warner, but the CS rep I spoke with was so unbelievably pushy (literally said she was going to process my order 4 times in the conversation, even after each time I told her I just wanted to inquire about rates and specials, and had no intention of entering into an agreement on this call). I told her she was not answering my questions, was being too pushy and that I was getting annoyed by her lack of listening skills. I ended up having to tell her to have a nice day and hung up after her 5th attempt to "close the deal", when she still hadnt even answered my intial questions about the service and price, I left that phone call with a very poor impression of TW!

Old 10-11-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaninja View Post
I dont do any gaming or anything, but do stream Netflix and other streaming services to my SmartTV. I usually have my TV, BluRay, Mobile phone and PC using the WiFi signal. If AT&T was consistent, I would not hesitate to keep them, but it always seems likes I have a sketchy signal and my speeds always lag (which causes my streams to TV to lag, have ppor picture quality, or spurts of buffering while watching). I called Verizon and they dont offer internet services in that area. I also called Time Warner, but the CS rep I spoke with was so unbelievably pushy (literally said she was going to process my order 4 times in the conversation, even after each time I told her I just wanted to inquire about rates and specials, and had no intention of entering into an agreement on this call). I told her she was not answering my questions, was being too pushy and that I was getting annoyed by her lack of listening skills. I ended up having to tell her to have a nice day and hung up after her 5th attempt to "close the deal", when she still hadnt even answered my intial questions about the service and price, I left that phone call with a very poor impression of TW!
I stream netflix to the PS3, and two of our computers and our mobile phones are all on the wifi without a problem.

We get those lags in Netflix sometimes though, that's not caused by wifi problems or, as far as I've been able to tell, internet speed. My bluray has a wired connection to my router and I've checked the speed tests when Netflix seems to be pausing to buffer a lot. I think those are growing pains for Netflix...they've got more customers than their servers can really handle sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio