Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 10:51 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,708,956 times

Advertisements

I tried to keep my youngest cat (probably like 2 and half now?) inside as long as possible, but he just cannot be kept inside. He's an indoor and outdoor cat now, but most of the day he spends on the patio or in the front yard with another neighborhood cat. The other cat is too fat to do damage and the other just hangs out on the couch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 11:42 AM

38 posts, read 71,045 times
Meow!!!!

Old 10-24-2012, 12:08 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,784,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I park outside in the same spot and have never had a cat pee or lay on my car. Actually I love the two area cats because I always see dead birds! I have my car relieved on by birds but don’t jump on the internet to complain I get out a BB gun!
As if I could actually shoot the cats. As much I loathe them, I can't do that.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:09 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,352,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
As if I could actually shoot the cats. As much I loathe them, I can't do that.
Lol. I have an indoor cat and would never shoot one! I hate birds and try to shoot them!

Old 10-24-2012, 02:45 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Yep, attitudes do change. You used to see everybody's pets running loose, both cats and dogs. Now it's mostly cats because their owners won't keep them inside.
Or, more likely, they're strays and they don't have owners.

Our local solution is to trap and neuter/spay them, and if at all possible adopt them out, but not every person that is willing to do to the effort to trap, spay/neuter can also adopt every cat they come across. So some still end up on the streets. it doesn't get rid of all the cats, but it is helping to keep the population down. And they help with the mice.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:57 AM

3,823 posts, read 14,673,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americasman View Post
Why is it that people with cats just let them have the run of the neighborhood? And then if you have any kinds of plants or flowers they will make their way to YOUR house and use it as their personal litter box, not their owners house. Doesnt anyone own an indoor cat anymore? It seems like this is a common occurance in almost every neighborhood. We always deal with it in our neighborhood and I go to my mom's and the same darn thing with her neighbors from down the street. I know there are leash laws for dogs but is there anything that can be done about cats just short of taking the BB gun to them.
We have two INDOOR cats. Yeah...they poop...but in a litter box. However, our neighbor has an OUTDOOR cat that poops in my back/front yard. When I see it I get the scooper out and deposit it in his back yard...maybe that's why is grass grows so high...

Old 11-08-2012, 05:38 PM

409 posts, read 1,034,928 times
Once upon a time I had a problem with mice. All kinds of traps I tried wouldn't work and those pill you put out only makes them die in between the walls and the stench lasts for weeks. I got adopted by some cats that just showed up so I started feeding them. No more mice...They are all outdoor cats but mainly stay in my yard. They seem to know my schedule and always there to greet me. Kitties are cool...

Old 11-09-2012, 09:07 PM

70 posts, read 186,517 times
I agree, Sonny Chiba57. Kitties are cool. I have 4 cats that live in the house, but I have a secure backyard with high walls so I let them out for about 1-2 hours every day. They enjoy being outside a little. Obviously, I don't have any mice here. The cats are good company for me.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:18 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,452,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Cathy 4017 stated:

"No, but any cat owner that has outdoor cats that are not contained within the yard is irresponsible. Their cats will go next door and around the neighborhood to do their business."

I have a 6ft fence around my backyard and my inherited cat leaps over it, a fence cannot keep a cat in or out of a yard, I wish it could.
Cats are nature loving prowlers. They are not meant to be inside permanently. They would not have natural hunter abilities, sharp teeth and nails if they were meant to be inside creatures. People are ignorant about cats. I found a cat when I lived in Houston and had him for 25 years. He had a pet door and came and went as he pleased. I lived close to the Bayou and that was his playground. He loved my garden and really loved being outside just basking in the sunshine. At night he loved to go to the Bayou and prowl around. He was a great animal!

Cats are very different from each other. Some are smart some dumb. Some are crazy and some are sweet. But IMO most cats are cool Meow

However when you run across a neurotic cat...you can bet it was kept by a cat ignorant human.

Last edited by TVC15; 11-12-2012 at 01:40 AM..

Old 11-12-2012, 07:49 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,438,666 times
That's not entirely true. Many cats, even "outside cats" can live wonderful happy lives inside. The cat owner just doesn't have the consideration for his neighbors, nor wants to put forth the effort to keep it indoors.
Next you're going to tell me that because dogs have claws and teeth their supposed to be outside wandering the neighborhood too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio