Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 01:15 AM

20 posts, read 35,223 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We are driving from Portland to San Antonio with a young child and large dog in tow. This will be in late May/early June. We are trying to balance getting there as quickly as possible while stopping along the way to keep child and dog from driving us insane. Any suggestions on the best route? Also, any special camp grounds or hotels long the way that we should look out for?

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 05:58 AM

340 posts, read 586,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi3000 View Post
Hello!

We are driving from Portland to San Antonio with a young child and large dog in tow. This will be in late May/early June. We are trying to balance getting there as quickly as possible while stopping along the way to keep child and dog from driving us insane. Any suggestions on the best route? Also, any special camp grounds or hotels long the way that we should look out for?

Thanks in advance!
Take the 5 down to LA then the 10 to SA.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:58 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,981,665 times
The quickest route (which is still 2070 miles and 32 hours of driving) is IH-84E through Idaho, Utah, New Mexico into Texas.

Going through LA adds over 350 miles to the journey.

Given the time of year you'll be traveling, weather shouldn't be a factor.

If you don't have one, I'd recommend a GPS. Not only does it give you the quickest route and an idea of how far you have to go, it will also tell you where restaurants, hotels, gas stations, etc. are. Very helpful when in unfamiliar areas, at night, etc.

Good luck! M2

Old 03-20-2013, 09:23 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,940,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi3000 View Post
Hello!

Thanks in advance!
I've used to drive to jobs across the country. I would consider Portland, Salt lake, Denver, Kansas, OKC, Dallas, SA.

Stay away from California traffic and the Desert SW heat. Dont rely on GPS. Google map routes and motels. Call the motels in the area and ask about road construction and..even if you are not staying there, they are very helpful and live in the area.

If you choose a motel, go online ad check comments. pay attention to comment of sourounding area and staff. Ive stayed at nice chain motels in very bad areas of town...I had to move to a small motel but in a nicer area.

ask the residents in that area where are the places to avoid using CD or craigslist.

Good luck and have a nice trip.

ps. google maps has traffic option. shows where there is ongoing construction.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:34 AM

20 posts, read 35,223 times
Thanks for the well wishes and speedy replies, everyone! You are awesome!

I think we are going to skip going down I-5 through LA this time, but we will probably do so on the way back so we can stop off at Disneyland.

I'm curious about the differences between going on IH-84E through Idaho, Utah, New Mexico, Texas versus through Salt Lake, Denver, Kansas, OKC, Dallas, SA. According to google maps, IH-84E is the shortest distance, but it seems that it may not necessarily be the fastest? Is this true? Also, what are the reasons that you, majormadmax would recommend IH-84 and you, Chimuelojones, would recommend the other route?

Thanks!

Last edited by Mimi3000; 03-20-2013 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: spelling errors!

Old 03-20-2013, 12:42 PM

69 posts, read 95,791 times
You should take the 101/PCH from San Francisco to LA (or vice versa). Driving along the California coast is absolutely beautiful. You could even continue down on the 5 through San Diego (also nice) and take the 8 out to Arizona and then pick up the 10.

Of course, this is if you have the time for the scenic drive.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:45 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,222,739 times
AAA has a great road trip planner on their website. You can alter routes, see points of interests as well as find lodging etc. We road tripped from Reno, NV to Austin and used the planner. It was great!

Old 03-20-2013, 03:06 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,981,665 times
It's been years since I drove it but I used to live up in Idaho and I remember it being a pretty nice drive. The more you get towards the center of the country, the less so which is why I would choose the route I suggested.

And, as you stated, I would avoid California at all possible costs.

By the way, GoogleMaps allows you to alter the route by simply dragging the line. I will would recommend having a GPS, I travel a lot and they can be invaluable when needing gas, food or simply knowing how far you have until you reach your destination!

Cheers! M2

Old 03-21-2013, 09:12 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,198 times
I personally would take I-84 to Ogden, then I-80 to Cheyenne, then I-25 south through Colorado and then take US-87. Then just follow US-87 to SA. Part of that route is I-27, and the rest is so rural that you'll make as good of time on it as you would if it were all Interstate. You could short-circuit it a little bit east of San Angelo by taking US-83 south to Junction and picking-up I-10 there.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:24 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
I don't recommend taking I-35 between Dallas and SA right now. There is a long stretch of highway construction between Dallas and Waco that was a real nuisance when I drove north on it last week and that I'm sure won't be finished by the time you make your trip.

When I drove to San Antonio from Oklahoma this week, I used this route to avoid it.

I-35W S through Fort Worth
Take exit 57B to merge onto I-820 W
Take exit 429A toward US-377 S/Granbury
Follow US-377 S into Stephenville
Take US-281 S to San Antonio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio