Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 09:02 AM

112 posts, read 180,933 times

Advertisements

I also posted in the Austin forum and I'll post here as well that I'll be traveling around Texas for two weeks. 3 of those nights will be in San Antonio. We're have a tight budget for eating so we're looking for the best cheap eats the locals love. Our favorites are American, Italian, Mexican, Indian, Thai, and vegetarian. We don't want to go too heavy on the bbq or meats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 12:27 PM

206 posts, read 464,435 times
If you like Tex-Mex, if you hit Chacho's during the day, prices are great. Especially lunch specials.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:58 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
For American, I recommend Candy's on S. Flores. They have some of the best burgers, fries, and onion rings I've ever tasted. For Thai, I like Bangkok 54 on Nacogdoches near 410. For Tex-Mex, I tend to go to the hole-in-the-wall places. My favorite for tacos is Caracheo's on MacArthur Way or whatever that street is called now. For something fast, I prefer Las Palapas over Taco Cabana.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:39 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
I second the Chacho's for cheap and really decent Tex Mex. I prefer it to Taco Cabana and it's amazing how much food you get for the money. Makes me a little suspicious in fact but doesn't stop me from going.

It is in no way healthy food. I love their salsa, there's an avocado one and a cilantro one, both are good, their gorditas are really yummy (I like the fact that they use dark leafy lettuce instead of iceberg) and at $2 or $3, one fills me up. We can go to Chacho's and spend about $30 for our family of five (which includes two young men) and still have leftovers the next day.

I don't recommend going inside though. I won't do anything but drive thru. I am unable to handle the sensory overload (loud people, music, crowded), especially at night. Nothing like ordering a bunch of food, receiving it, getting all your salsa at the salsa bar and then walking around with a party of five unable to find ANY place to sit, while your food gets cold.

For Indian there is a good place in Stone Oak but I don't know if it will be convenient to whereever you are staying. It's India Taj Palace at 20323 Huebner Rd. Service was a little "weird" when we've been, not rude but not really friendly, but whatever, food is good.

Dangit, now I want samosas.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:43 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Are you talking about the Chaco's on Perrin Beitel? That's not the safest place to be at night. They're supposed to have the best margarita in town.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:59 PM

584 posts, read 1,192,520 times
OK if you have a smart phone I recommend downloading the app Happy Hours. It will tell you all the places around you that currently have happy hour going on and most of the places have food specials/apps that are also on discount. We have some great restaurants that have happy hour daily 4 - 7 pm. If you are wanting a full meal it may not work out but if you want to try different places with an appetizer and a drink go for it.

Wild Fish (seafood)
Piatti's (Italian)
Zinc (only m-f)
Drews
Luce (Italian)
Cover 3 - opens June 28
Lupe Tortilla (only m-f)
Kona Grill (only m-f)
Mortons (not Saturday)
Landrys
Leon Springs Grill
Perry's (only m-f)

A lot of these places have their HH menus on their websites. Drews has their pizzas which I like. Landry's has fish tacos.

tons more places around town.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:01 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Are you talking about the Chaco's on Perrin Beitel? That's not the safest place to be at night. They're supposed to have the best margarita in town.
But there is the one on Bandera and the one on I10 and Callaghan.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:02 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
^^ Yeah, I never go anywhere but the Callaghan one.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:17 PM

112 posts, read 180,933 times
mmmm thank you for all of the delicious recommendations.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:14 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,091,862 times
3 days in SA but no bbq? I would eat Mexican all three days! If you do want to go local, I suggest trying some of the 100s of tiny independant corner places inside of loop 410, if you find somplace with menu items painted on the outside of the building, you are on the right track, even better is no English on the signage at all. Also great for your budget, most will be less expensive than any restaurant mentioned in this thread so far
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio