Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 08:32 AM

161 posts, read 227,196 times

Advertisements

Abilene is completely different from SA. We lived there 15 years ago and I really enjoyed it. Much of a "western" feel, at least at that time. A place where people step aside, tip their hats, and actually say, "Excuse me" or "Pardon me". When I say that around here, I get stared at, with no reply back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 09:05 AM

254 posts, read 548,327 times
Most of these people will move out of your way "tomorrow"

Old 09-02-2013, 09:57 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
I hope people don't think this is a "racial" thing. It's not. In Abilene the demographics are exactly the same as South Texas.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:03 AM

161 posts, read 227,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I hope people don't think this is a "racial" thing. It's not. In Abilene the demographics are exactly the same as South Texas.
You're joking, right? You must be.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:14 AM

838 posts, read 1,211,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollygagger428 View Post
You're joking, right? You must be.
I agree with this statement no matter which point LG is trying to make. Abilene and San Antonio are radically different demographically AND it very likely is a racial thing if you're paying attention.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:22 AM

785 posts, read 954,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
I agree with this statement no matter which point LG is trying to make. Abilene and San Antonio are radically different demographically AND it very likely is a racial thing if you're paying attention.
I didn't mean for it to come off racial, but I have seen comments on other boards that Mexicans living here have been 'disrespectful' to them in terms of personal space, not walking out of the way, etc but I have experienced the same thing with whites here. Again I felt it was more of a southern Texas thing based on what I was experiencing as well as the 'slower pace' living here.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:45 AM

135 posts, read 191,618 times
It seems to be getting worse since the "cultural" started getting bigger with there cultural presence.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:51 AM

135 posts, read 191,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaste View Post
I didn't mean for it to come off racial, but I have seen comments on other boards that Mexicans living here have been 'disrespectful' to them in terms of personal space, not walking out of the way, etc but I have experienced the same thing with whites here. Again I felt it was more of a southern Texas thing based on what I was experiencing as well as the 'slower pace' living here.
Lol it is a racial thing! Tell it like it is these people just get in your way and give no 2 sense about it. Then when you tell them something they suddenly forget English which wasn't a problem when they were filling out documents for there magic lonestar. Am I bitter hell yeah, and it's only getting worse! San Antonio was not this bad 10 years ago. Maybe it's just everyone and the way of being respectful has gone the way of the dinosaurs.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:53 AM

785 posts, read 954,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spursrock View Post
Lol it is a racial thing! Tell it like it is these people just get in your way and give no 2 sense about it. Then when you tell them something they suddenly forget English which wasn't a problem when they were filling out documents for there magic lonestar. Am I bitter hell yeah, and it's only getting worse! San Antonio was not this bad 10 years ago. Maybe it's just everyone and the way of being respectful has gone the way of the dinosaurs.
I'm not from here so I wouldn't know. I've only lived here for two years. I was just stating my observation.

Really annoying. I thought I was becoming a misanthrope lol but I'm only in my late 20s. I'm too young for that.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:17 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
I dont know, I find that anymore people are just so into themselves that they forget common courtesy. I dont know that it is a "Texas thing" or "San Antonio thing" as much as it is just a "people thing". Lately people seem to only care about themselves and dont take others into account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio