Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:07 AM

351 posts, read 1,585,298 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My sister is a long time member. I do not even ask her about her religious life anymore since we believe such different things about how a person should worship.

Reading this post now I understand HOW she became brainwashed.

She was lacking a direction and this person gave it to her, even though he is just another charlatan.

Hope she leaves this church.

crazedchef
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 08:42 AM

26 posts, read 144,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbenites View Post
God does not take kindly to people who judge either. If you worked for him are you possibly the one who went to the media to begin with? I think all you people who are judging this man are cruel and callaus and you should be ashamed of yourselves!

SanAntoQT is absolutely correct. You are judging the people on this board who have an opinion, usually well informed opinions, as "cruel and callous" when you yourself state in your first sentence that "God does not take kindly to people who judge..." Take your own advice.

And what's with your second sentence? You ask if someone on this board worked for him and went to the media. Is that an accusation that someone who may have seen the shady business reported in the news article should not have gone to the media? Should not have allowed their conscience to guide them toward doing the right thing? Your question is inherently immoral and it is you who should be ashamed for asking.

I don't know who you are but allow me to tell you this. I was raised catholic and I still attend a catholic church. Mainly because it is what I feel comfortable with. But I have been to non-denominational churches (Harvest and Family Praise to name a couple) and for the most part I like them. I like the atmosphere, I love the music, and I like the preaching. But I can spot a sheister a mile away and I didn't attend Family Praise much longer. That was several years ago and look what's become of Pastor Rick recently.

And just because I say I grew up Catholic and still attend a catholic church, don't think that I think catholic church's are much better. I recently left a newly built church and recently (within the past five years) founded congregation because I am no longer comfortable with the priest. It appears to me that he is more interested in building a monument to himself than using the money given by the congregation to fund service projects and follow the works of the saint for which the church is named after. Not all priests live humble lifestyles.

My message to you is that it is ok to defend your pastor if you know without a doubt that he/she is not guilty of that which he/she has been accused. But can you really say without a doubt that the accusation is unfounded? Can you really, in your heart, not want to question your leadership about what is being leveled against them? Or refrain from judging other people's opinion for what they/we see as typical from mega-churches? EN's pastor is after all just a man. And men (and women) can be greedy, especially when you have a large congregation and you see all the money coming in.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:50 AM

470 posts, read 1,952,871 times
FWIW, Family Praise has re-branded themselves and are now Epicenter.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:30 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
It's too bad Eagle's Nest is moving. I don't go there often but it was always nice to visit on Saturdays because it was in a nice central location (north central). Now I'll probably never visit again. I wonder if they are going to keep the same number of members after they move?

Old 02-18-2008, 07:35 PM

141 posts, read 508,604 times
Default living in glass houses....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbenites View Post
God does not take kindly to people who judge either. If you worked for him are you possibly the one who went to the media to begin with? I think all you people who are judging this man are cruel and callaus and you should be ashamed of yourselves!
this "man of God" was found out, caught, busted or whatever phrase you want to apply to what happened to him. if someone with intimate knowledge of wrongdoing were to sit idly by while it went down, does that not make them as bad as the perpetrator? if the board member who has a firsthand knowledge of the man's M.O., what is wrong with that person possibly being the one to tell of the wrong doing? (i'm not saying that they are, i'm just putting forth a scenario) it is one's moral obligation to report anything of malicious or harmful nature in anything, let alone in A CHURCH!! a place of holiness and sacred trust that should never be broken! defend a man who has been caught in a bad situation, when all it does is hurt those that follow and trust? that is some warped sense of loyalty and faith. with the Lord's infinite capacity for forgiveness he will be saved, but to those he hurt, he will be another circus tent charlatan and trickster selling snake oil.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:39 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,457,187 times
All I have to add is 1 Timothy 3:2-3:5.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:08 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,746,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It's too bad Eagle's Nest is moving. I don't go there often but it was always nice to visit on Saturdays because it was in a nice central location (north central). Now I'll probably never visit again. I wonder if they are going to keep the same number of members after they move?
Not that I would ever in my life endorse going to this church...but the new location is just a couple miles up 281...and will be in a much nicer facility. I expect their attendance to grow - unfortunately.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:24 AM

235 posts, read 424,310 times
seems all of these folks fall into the same category as the infamous 'peter popoff'. what a piece of work THIS guy is. most guys hang deer horns on their wall...this guy hangs crutches and canes. why, he's healed more folks than carter and his pills....what a shame that most people are blinded by a false sense of faith. the only thing missing from most of these guys portfolios is a country to go to, where they can hide and control people. ya know, sometimes a person can smile TOO MUCH, which really puts my radar WAY up. it's like being set up for the big sucker punch. look out, jim jones...your competition is still around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio