Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 03:00 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,064,286 times

Advertisements

SAN ANTONIO — Police are on the hunt for a man who attacked a female jogger on the Northwest Side late Friday night.
According to police, a woman said she was running around 10 p.m. in the Leon Creek Greenway Park near Babcock Road and Spring Rain Drive when a man wearing a ski mask attacked her.
Police said the woman was able to fight the man off and call police.
The man was described as having a tattoo of a spider on his neck.
The woman escaped with minor injuries.
Police said the suspect has not yet been located.
The attack occurred just a few miles from O.P. Schnabel Park, also part of the Leon Creek Greenway, where 24-year-old Lauren Bump was slain on New Year's Eve. A suspect has been charged and is in custody.

Jogger attacked on the Northwest Side - San Antonio Express-News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 09:51 AM

191 posts, read 447,831 times
I by no way condone this act, but when are people going to start looking out for themselves? 10pm? Plus, the Oxbow area is not the safest place to be out past dark. As a female myself, I do not go to the trails alone. It sucks that we have to be so vigilant, but these are the days and times we live in!

Old 01-19-2014, 10:00 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,996,643 times
The SAPD Information Alert...

Quote:
ast night (Friday) at about 10 p.m. a female was jogging in the area of Leon Creek Park & Ox Bow Park (general area of Babcock & Spring Rain) when she was attacked by a male suspect wearing a ski mask with a tattoo of a spider on his neck. The female was able to fight off the suspect and call police. The female received minor injuries and at this time the suspect has not been located. Police presence has been stepped up in the area.

WALKING/JOGGING CRIME PREVENTION TIPS:

• Be aware of your surroundings and know where you are at all times
• Don’t be distracted by your phones, tablets, etc.
• Don’t wear ear buds in both ears while walking or jogging to music
• Avoid walking or running alone
• Avoid isolated or deserted areas
• Be aware of the potential hazards that exist of walking or jogging when it’s dark
• Bright/reflective clothing or mini lights are recommended if it’s early morning or dusk.
• If you are walking and anything makes you feel uncomfortable, TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS, keep your phone handy and prepare to take action.
• Report suspicious or criminal activity to police right away.

PLEASE SHARE THESE SAFETY TIPS WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS!

Old 01-19-2014, 10:29 AM

1,099 posts, read 2,074,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
SAN ANTONIO — Police are on the hunt for a man who attacked a female jogger on the Northwest Side late Friday night.
According to police, a woman said she was running around 10 p.m.
seriously? she may want to either find a better time to jog or bring a man with her or a group of people if you are going to jog that late at night

Old 01-19-2014, 10:52 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,411,473 times
Blame the Victim?

I find it in disbelief that one has to gear her life for fear of others.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:38 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,412,885 times
Okay, I too, as a female that walks these trails three times a week, have to freaking wonder why....WHY....any female would be out there at 10PM, by herself? We all need to be responsible for our own safety, starting with the very simple question, "should I go to a park after hours to jog by myself?" ! Holy cow, why would anyone think that was a wise idea??

The Greenway is open from sunrise to sunset. Anyone that goes before or after those times by themselves is on their own.

Very sad, but I hope she learned a lesson.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:46 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,442,886 times
Love the victim blaming! I bet you all think that women that go to bars and have too much to drink deserve to get raped. No one is responsible for the crime committed against them.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:10 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,412,885 times
You're extremely naive to think people--male and female--don't put themselves into dangerous situations that they could CLEARLY avoid.

Does that make what the offenders do somehow right? No, so you can lose the whole "victim is at fault" accusation. It's ridiculous and without merit.

Life in the big city comes with risks that everyone needs to weigh. Ask women in Dallas if they go jogging by themselves at White Rock Lake at 10PM. Or Hershey Park Trails in Houston.

Not unless they're naive or stupid....or armed.

And again, haven't seen ONE policeman at Cathedral Rock Park, or the Greenway off of it, since the murder of the girl New Year's Eve.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:26 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,411,473 times
Or me a male after sundown?

Wouldn't.

I used to walk Breckenridge after sunrise to watch the homeless population come alive. It was sometimes unsettling.

The next and larger question is with both the murder at Christmas and the hit and run of the 9 year old last week, both were victims of illegal aliens.

Is the fact we are a sanctuary city a magnet for these criminals?

What is the human cost of such a decision?

I know that if the little girl, run down by the fleeing culprit, was my granddaughter, I would be on doorstep of those who wish to turn a blind eye.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:40 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,442,886 times
So mom2 you do blame rape victim then? Because they are clearly putting themselves out there right? Women absolutely jog the Katy trail in Dallas after dark, especially in the summer. It's sickening that anyone would think this woman deserved to be attacked, which is what you are implying, just because she was jogging after dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio