Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 12:41 PM

108 posts, read 241,743 times

Advertisements

With the popularity of Storage Wars is it worth the trouble ?. I am interested in trying this out but what are the cleaning and sales tax fees that I am responsible for (also seller permits) ? Is there a site you can recommend to find out when these auctions take place?, some that I found require a registration and a monthly payment. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 01:08 PM

8,399 posts, read 23,021,001 times
I would be very wary of any "reality" TV show concepts being anywhere near actual reality...

Nor would I want to spend good money bidding on things people abandon at storage units.

Given the popularity of that show, it is very doubtful that there are any opportunities left in that field.

You're better off finding something that hasn't got anything to do with abandoned storage unit auctions, pawn shops, picking, finding gold in Alaska, etc. and concentrating on opportunities that haven't been exploited to death on the television!

But I will give you a free tip. If you're looking for a lucrative environment, head south of SA towards where all the oil fracking is going on. There's a ton of money to be made there, yet for some reasons folks in this area really haven't caught on to it yet.

Quote:
(In 2010), the Eagle Ford shale generated 6,800 full-time jobs and paid $311 million in salaries and benefits, according to a study completed in February by the University of Texas at San Antonio's Center for Community and Business Research.

When spinoff jobs are included — from wholesalers to waiters - the study found the development in the shale play supported 12,600 jobs and paid $512 million in salaries.

Because development is just beginning, the UTSA study estimates that by 2020, 5,000 new wells will be drilled, and the Eagle Ford will support almost 68,000 full-time jobs, account for almost $21.5 billion in total annual economic output, and add almost $1.2 billion to Texas' revenues.

Good luck! M2

Last edited by majormadmax; 03-05-2012 at 01:17 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 04:50 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,863,097 times
I actually did it a number of years back. It's dirty and often nasty work. They show some very neat, orderly and clean units compared to the reality. Try opening a chest freezer that'd been put in the unit several years back....full of food. Or bidding on a unit FULL of neatly labeled boxes - and find out that that's what HAD been in 'em - what's left was literally trash. Obviously, they figured they'd paid for the unit for "x" amount of time, and guess it was easier to leave it there than taking 'em to a dump.
I'd HATE to get even close to any of 'em right now, because everyone and their dogs are gonna be out to "make a killing"....it's a LOT more work that it would appear.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:55 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,303,773 times
I thought they post the auctions in the paper in the classifieds or in the thrifty nickel?

I would never wanna sift thru other peoples "things" though -- I got enough junk of my own.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:48 PM

38 posts, read 71,122 times
this one property owner once told me that he goes into the unit first to get his share to offset what the renter had owed him. then again this was out of state

Old 03-05-2012, 07:15 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,863,097 times
It's more heavily regulated nowadays. Supposedly, they're not allowed to enter the units until the day of sale, and must leave the original owners' lock on it until opened for auction. Either way, while it CAN be interesting, I'm sure that as folks see all the "easy money", they'll be running out to try their luck - which will drive up the prices to the point that no one will make money, other than the rental places and auctioneers.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:40 PM

314 posts, read 833,596 times
I have stuff at an Uncle Bob's and I talked to the manager and she said ever since the show started they went from 10-20 people to over 50 per auction.

Anyway give them a call, I think she said they do them the 3rd Thursday of each month. They just start at one and go to each one until they do them all.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:00 PM

108 posts, read 241,743 times
Thanks for the advice I'm willing to start low and let others drive themselves to paying more than they want. I am skeptical because of the trash left behind but just to say Hey I tried it and cross it off my bucket list.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:37 PM

53 posts, read 160,472 times
It's a fun experience. Worth driving out of town to check out an auction in a smaller city. Big dogs tend to advertise and attract more people than small mom-and-pop facilities.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:25 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,189,497 times
I know someone that does this and has for years. She says that the prices on the units have skyrocketed lately. She has found some interesting things, and some valuables, but says it's typically more trouble that it's worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio