Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 07:45 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post

*well, not really. But in my experience, coming to SA from very subtropical Houston, home of the flying roaches, well--I've had 5 scorpions in my house, one in my bed, and one that I stepped on.

They're just wretched creatures.
My wife got stung on her hand by one on the outside of her front door. She was in a lot of pain, I can't imagine how painful and inconvenient being stung on a foot would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 10:17 AM

78 posts, read 92,372 times
Aaaah! I forgot about scorpions.

I'm a native Houstonian living in New England and contemplating a move to SA. I had assumed the roaches would be the worst problem.

We are thinking to move just north of downtown--hope the bugs aren't too bad there...

Old 05-20-2014, 12:47 PM

214 posts, read 325,496 times
Thank you so much, everyone!!! I'm terrified of roaches but I hadn't even considered that you guys would get SCORPIONS! I'm in Upstate NY right now, trying to get away from the harsh winters. I have honestly never even seen a roach or a scorpion that wasn't in a pet store or a zoo. I really, really don't think I could handle seeing them in my house :/

Old 05-20-2014, 01:01 PM

100 posts, read 207,020 times
I think that most everyplace has their own kind of bugs that are annoying/scary/ugly/nuisances. It shouldn't keep you from moving somewhere - really, bugs can be controlled by pest control companies if they're a problem. You're also not hearing from the thousands of people who have never seen a scorpion or a roach in their house!

Old 05-20-2014, 01:03 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,938 times
The scorpions aren't bad. About like a wasp sting. Harmless, but can be painful. Some people may have allergies to the local scorpion stings that would present the only real urgent concern. They are creepy little buggers though.

Here is some info on the local variety.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:50 PM

62 posts, read 105,294 times
Honestly, if you want to live in a place warm enough that you don't have to deal with cold winters, then you're going to have to deal with bugs. No lie, the roaches here are huge - I don't know if they're the same as palmetto bugs in the southeastern states, but they pretty much look the same. They totally freak me out. But they won't hurt you - they are just gross. I would guess almost anywhere warm has them.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:05 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
We've had many bug threads here before. The bottom line on SA scorpions is that you're unlikely to get them in your house unless there's construction nearby and the ground has been dug up. If their habitat gets disturbed, the scorpions go roaming in search of a new one. Otherwise, they don't venture out much.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:21 PM

214 posts, read 325,496 times
Honestly, I'm way more afraid of the roaches then the scorpions. Sure, every place has bugs, but we definitely do not have large bugs in our houses here. We have lady bugs LOL. Hardly terrifying or gross! I'm trying to find a balance between bugs and a more mild climate. I'm starting to look into Virginia. Sounds like they get some roaches, but probably nothing like you guys see. They seem to get a tiny bit of snow in the winters, which I could live with if it keeps bugs that are the size of small birds out of my house hehehe Thank you all for your help!!

Old 05-20-2014, 06:37 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,023,874 times
I found a scorpion in my kitchen sink this morning.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:46 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,401,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
My wife got stung on her hand by one on the outside of her front door. She was in a lot of pain, I can't imagine how painful and inconvenient being stung on a foot would be.
Okay, I have to disclose--I did not get stung. I stepped on it in the kitchen with my bare foot--right about where my arch is--and do you know that little &%*$# survived that?! It was VERY unhappy and parading back and forth in quite a stunned angry stupor looking for its aggressor, but I had backed up by that time and turned the light on to see what it was so I was across the room. Oh man, it was so mad. Hubby came over and did the ol' shoe THWACK! and he was in Scorpion hell. LOL.

As for the bed one, my husband was stung on his back after I brushed it off me in my sleep. We do bed checks now, every summer. All beds get checked every single night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio