Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 10:27 AM

483 posts, read 1,563,459 times

Advertisements

^^^ You forgot Leon Valley, it may be the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 02:38 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,013,217 times
Quote:
^^^ You forgot Leon Valley, it may be the worst.
Yeah shame on me.. it is the worst...

Old 12-28-2007, 06:20 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone View Post
so basically. were the rich live is cool. and everywere else sucks?? is that the general opinion on this site....kinda the vibe im getting.
No... it just depends on your preference. Some people prefer old architecture and some prefer new. Old nice neighborhoods are limited to the areas that have been mentioned. Unfortunately they are out of most peoples price range including mine. Some people would not want to live in an old home and prefer new homes.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:25 PM

83 posts, read 299,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
No... it just depends on your preference. Some people prefer old architecture and some prefer new. Old nice neighborhoods are limited to the areas that have been mentioned. Unfortunately they are out of most peoples price range including mine. Some people would not want to live in an old home and prefer new homes.

thats a much better way of putting it. i can agree with that.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:02 AM

546 posts, read 3,105,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
So true, my mother-in-law thinks our early 1950's house in Terrell Hills (well, Bel Meade, close enough) is just plain weird, and can't understand why we didn't buy a new house...which to us is just plain weird! To each his own I suppose.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:23 AM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
So true, my mother-in-law thinks our early 1950's house in Terrell Hills (well, Bel Meade, close enough) is just plain weird, and can't understand why we didn't buy a new house...which to us is just plain weird! To each his own I suppose.
I have always lived in an older home and when I looked at new homes and the price of new homes I was very disappointed in what you get for your bang. The newly built homes lacked character (all cookie cutter) and were made with the cheapest materials you can find. I felt like I would be throwing my hard earned money away. At least when you buy an older home you know it was built by real craftman and quality products. The problem is that it would cost a small fortune to build a house of quality in this day and age. Only a few have that luxury. Again, it boils down to personal preference too. I know alot of people that cannot comprehend why anyone would want to spend their hard earned money on an older home. I like 50's and older homes because of the quality of craftmanship and materials used plus the old world charm and architectural interest. If I had my preference I would build a modern home but I don't have a million dollars yet.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:59 PM

925 posts, read 1,228,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saspursfan1 View Post
Does anyone else also think that Alamo Heights is totally over rated? Every time it rains it floods so badly you can't even drive down N New Braunfels - the worst drainage in all of San Antonio and this is supposed to be the most affluent area of SA. Also Alamo Heights runs right into the trashiest part of Austin Hwy where you can commonly see old broken down pay-by-the-hour motels, low income apartments and arguably the seediest WalMart in all of SA. Are all the snooty Alamo Heights residents in denial or what? What's so great about Alamo Heights (besides the school district)?
Firstly, that WalMart and most of everything you depict is outside of Alamo Heights and in the city of San Antonio. Alamo Heights and Terrell Hills can not control what has been built there over the years or what people move to that area. Second, most of those motels are being torn down for a new luxury apartment complex.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:49 PM

12 posts, read 62,261 times
I think it helps to establish exactly where Alamo Heights, Terrell Hills and Terell Heights ARE . ( I thought that I lived in Alamo Heights and was proven wrong by my husband who purchased this house years before when I was living in New England.)The general area, however, is one that I really enjoy for the sense of "Neighborhood". There are many young families and seniors. At dusk, you can see the people coming out with their strollers, dogs and toddlers on bikes to walk through the neighborhood. When you introduce yourself to a new neighbor, they don't look at you like you are on crack. All of my neighbors on all sides of our home have lived there for over a decade, with the exception of one, who just passed away, she had lived here for a lot longer than any of us. At Halloween we walked up and down the streets trick or treating, amazed at the amount of neighbors who participated, saying "see you next year, dears" and looking forward to it as much as we do.
In the mornings I drive my kid to school. I would love for her to ride her bike, but with the behemoth "Eisenhauer" slicing thru the neighborhood and the guitar in tow, I can't let myself risk it. Not this year. Did I mention that my kiddo gets free guitar lessons? and has poetry club after school? She didn't even have those options at her former private school.
Our house has aged markedly, but doubled in value, and we love the lot we are on, so pipedream about renovating it enough to live more comfortably in with a tween, then selling it when she's off to college, and cashing in and downsizing again.
I Live in "the bubble" and I'm more than content to. Life is simpler here in this tight knit network, and if I don't have to stray too far from home, the better. There are 3 HEB's within less than a half of a mile from the house, which saves a huge amount of time.. especially when one of them offers free valet parking on those nights where you are all made up and need to run in to get a bottle of wine for the hostess but don't want to get ruined by the rain. I could go on and on. I really do like it here. While i'm in my 30's and have a kid in the best school system, who really thrives in it, and I'm comfortable and feel relatively safe, what's to begrudge??? we pay a pretty penny for it. Maybe some have mistaken snootiness for blanching at the price that it costs to live in old homes and get treated like we're rich?? house rich with scant pockets, and a decent hood. So be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio