Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,824 times

Advertisements

Am trying to get to an area of between Austin and San Antonio or Hill Country with the least amount of drug problem. Teens in our area say it is everywhere they go here.

Can you recommend a particular school? Thnx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 09:40 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,633 times
Drugs are pretty much available in every area and in some cases having more dispensable income equates to more drug abuse or more expensive drug use. You best bet is good parenting, paying lots of attention to your children, having lots of open communication, and their selection of friends. It is impossible to pick their friends for them and in the end teens will do as they wish no matter what.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:42 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,205,935 times
Hate to say it, but I think drugs are everywhere. You just have to teach your kids that drugs are bad and as a parent I suggest watching who they hang out with. and do LOTS of praying.

Good luck in your search. If you find a drug free school please post up.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:29 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,010,703 times
I am pretty much in aggreance here.. instead of asking what or where a drug free school is.. You would have to deal with your kids not to get into all of that stuff. Thats like asking where a sex free part of town is.. its not happening. Drugs are everywhere.. Its sad to say but the truth. We now have to deal with the kids and hope and pray they do not get into them.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:22 PM

378 posts, read 1,441,941 times
Just talk to them and try to det a good influence. People say it doesn't work but trust me
I went to memeorial which has a big drug problem and I came out free of drugs. Some times kids will do drugs to be cool and fit in and I'm not going to lie I did do all that stuff but My mother talked to me and I saw how it broke her heart that I was doing all this stupid stuff and while it was cool and it felt good I couldn't stand how she felt so I quit and you know what it turns out I didn't need that stuff to be cool. the point is that taking to your kids helps and I''m proof so try it cause no matter what you can't escape drugs as posted earlier it's like sex and you know what that's a big past time for teens here to so talk about that too.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
I believe a popular approach at keeping kids drug free around here is to schedule their lives so full of activities that they won't have time to do drugs. It's easy to identify the practitioners of this philosophy. They're the ones driving SUVs and minivans that have back windows plastered with stickers trumpeting their kids' extracurricular activities.

I'm not entirely sold on this approach, as I like to leave time in the day for my kids to do their homework.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:02 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,448,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Holley View Post
Am trying to get to an area of between Austin and San Antonio or Hill Country with the least amount of drug problem. Teens in our area say it is everywhere they go here.

Can you recommend a particular school? Thnx
I was SHOCKED to hear recently that San Marcos does NOT seem to be the place that would be what you are looking for. Seems from a recent report in the paper that they have a bigger than expected number of Meth lab type of issues.

How sad...such a beautiful area.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:34 PM

355 posts, read 1,374,829 times
The only drugs I remember in high school were marijuana and prescription pills and I went to Fox Tech.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:12 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
I would say Timberwilde Elementary, but upon further thought, most of the kids there are on Ritalin. Drugs are such a very prevalent part of society, even in grade school, that you have to educate your child at home regarding the dangers.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:16 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I was SHOCKED to hear recently that San Marcos does NOT seem to be the place that would be what you are looking for. Seems from a recent report in the paper that they have a bigger than expected number of Meth lab type of issues.

How sad...such a beautiful area.
I think that's because of Party Central University, or Texas State, or whatever they are calling it these days. Also because meth is cheap and so addicting. That drug is devastating countless communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio