Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 09:27 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wonderland View Post
They have added a Cowtown Boot store and are remodeling downstairs so it is not a failed mall by any sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wonderland View Post
I agree I hope it doesn't its the only mall that people can really relax and enjoy being in. Can't wait for the summer concerts.
It's great that you're a fan of Wonderland (you're ID is an obvious indicator), but based on what we witnessed a few weekends ago that mall is on life support and it's not looking good!

I don't disagree that it's a nice facility, and a lot of work has been done to modernize it but the simple fact that it lacks stores or customers bodes poorly for its future. Something drastic has to be done soon or it will be on its death throes. I don't think its close proximity to North Star and even Ingram (which is a lot less nicer) help, but you can't ignore the fact that both of those malls are bringing in the people whereas Wonderland is not.

I too would love to see Wonderland rise from the ashes, all the ingredients are there but as I've said some spectacular marketing has to be done or it is doomed. It would be very sad to see it go, given its long history and impact on San Antonio; but unless something drastic happens, I believe that will be its unfortunate destiny...

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 06:47 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Wonderland is pretty much dead. It is nothing more than an glorified flea market at this point.

The mall could also be looked at as a 20,000 sq ft nail salon too.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:58 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
I haven't been "in the mall" in several months, and it was dead then, but I must say that Burlington Coat Factory could not get any more ghetto. Dear God, what happened? Unfortunately, we had a couple glasses of iced tea at dinner......we used the restroom and someone (in the women's restroom, no less) had dropped a deuce on the floor and there it sat. I was horrified.

We had already looked around some and the clothing sections were just destroyed. The only "neat" section was the bedding. I will never go back to that nasty store again, ever.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:08 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I haven't been "in the mall" in several months, and it was dead then, but I must say that Burlington Coat Factory could not get any more ghetto. Dear God, what happened? Unfortunately, we had a couple glasses of iced tea at dinner......we used the restroom and someone (in the women's restroom, no less) had dropped a deuce on the floor and there it sat. I was horrified.

We had already looked around some and the clothing sections were just destroyed. The only "neat" section was the bedding. I will never go back to that nasty store again, ever.
That is just gross sapphire.

I would be horrified too.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:34 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Burlington Coat Factory at 281 and Bitters is a bit cleaner. There's also one in Live Oak but I haven't been to that one. I love BCF because of the vast selection of ...coats and household trinkets.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:30 PM

22 posts, read 52,168 times
As much as I like the mall, I stay out of Burlington, the people who work there are RUDE. The people who shop there make it worse. If Wonderland is to improve they need to non-renew the Burlington and replace it with something else. At this point even a Wal Mart or an HEB would be an improvement.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:24 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
I don't think the Wonderland management can afford to lose any stores, even Burlington Coat Factory!

I would put their current capacity at 10-20% at best, there is a lot of unused commercial space in that mall. There's about zero chance of a Walmart and/or HEB, the former won't go in because of the Target, the latter won't be bothered as there is in indication that the location would be lucrative for them.

If anything needs to go, it's that horrible flea market section that's at the Target end of the mall!

Inasmuch as I would love to see Wonderland rise from the dead, I wouldn't bet a dollar on it. The odds are highly against it...

Old 02-08-2011, 06:22 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times
Quote:
Dear God, what happened? Unfortunately, we had a couple glasses of iced tea at dinner......we used the restroom and someone (in the women's restroom, no less) had dropped a deuce on the floor and there it sat. I was horrified.
LOL! That is too funny! I'm thinking that, even though it was in the women's restroom, it was the dubious mischief of a man. Call me crazy, but.....

Old 02-08-2011, 07:01 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
LOL! That is too funny! I'm thinking that, even though it was in the women's restroom, it was the dubious mischief of a man. Call me crazy, but.....
Trust me, women are more nasty than men. I will leave it at that.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:14 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times
Quote:
Trust me, women are more nasty than men. I will leave it at that.
Yikes! /me runs and hides....

Seriously, though. I remember when Wards closed in the mall. Then Wendy's closed in there over by the Bijou Theatre/Food Court. I went to Jackson & Lujan Eyecare for many years, and if you went on a Saturday you had time to walk around the mall before you could see a doctor. Then Jackson & Lujan moved down the street.... I have a feeling that really hurt mall business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio