Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:47 AM

188 posts, read 550,898 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any feedback on the different universities in San Antonio? My husband and I will be relocating this summer, and I work in higher education administration. I know there are a lot of universities in the area, but I have no familiarity in terms of the caliber or reputations of the schools. Can anyone provide feedback on the local universities or point me the direction of a good resource for researching them? I know that working for and attending a university are two completely separate things, but I'm curious about general reputation as a place to work or attend.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 11:47 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,438,492 times
Trinity I believe is considered the best. Small liberal arts private school, near downtown. In the same vein is University of the Incarnate Word, except it's catholic. In the public realm we have UTSA, which is a very large 25,000+ student university. It's starting to earn real respect and become more than a commuter college.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:55 PM

330 posts, read 1,372,556 times
From my not-very-informed perspective, the more "respected" universities are the three smuboy86 mentioned (UTSA, Trinity, and UIW), and I would add St. Mary's to the list as well. Texas Lutheran University is also a respected liberal arts school not too far away in Seguin. Our Lady of the Lake University is another, although I don't know much about it other than that their commericals are pretty low-tech.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:57 PM

592 posts, read 2,024,476 times
st marys our lady of the lake

Old 01-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTPot View Post
I'm curious about general reputation as a place to work or attend.
If you use the "Search This Forum" feature to search for the names of universities mentioned here, you'll find some good subjective opinions about each of them. I remember a recent thread about UTSA that I found enlightening.

Here's a complete list of local higher education institutions from Flash Detection.

Colleges and Universities in San Antonio

Old 01-16-2008, 06:17 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,176,172 times
As anyone in academia should know, the definitive university rankings are compiled by the Carnegie Foundation. See:
Carnegie Classifications (http://www.carnegiefoundation.org/classifications/ - broken link)

San Antonio does not have a Carnegie I school, which is the most prestigious tier (i.e. doctoral granting major research university). UT-Austin and Rice are the only top-tier schools in Texas (sorry Aggies!).

That said, one can get a good education at a variety of schools (Trinity and UTSA included). But in terms of the academic pecking order, neither Trinity nor UTSA are at the top.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:20 PM

251 posts, read 710,253 times
Why do people compare universities like UTSA, which isn't even 30 years old yet, to schools like UT-Austin, which has been around for over 100 years and is one of the most endowed schools in the nation?

Old 01-16-2008, 07:29 PM

188 posts, read 550,898 times
Thanks for all of the information. The list of institutions was really helpful. I hadn't even thought of UTSA Health Science Center.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:31 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,024,233 times
UTSA is the 5th largest university in Texas, and the only Division 1 program in San Antonio. The campus itself is situated on 720 acres at the edge of the Hill Country. The school has 2 campuses (the main campus located on the Northwest side near Six Flags, and a newer downtown campus) as well as a museum. UTSA is an internationally-focused university. The school hosts students from some 100 different countries, and offers many international programs. Construction on campus (new additions, remodel, etc.) shows the schools rapid expansion. There is presently a quarter-billion dollars worth of construction going on at the campus. Numerous more projects are expected to come on board by the end of the decade.

UTSA.edu - Official website
GoUTSA.com - Athletics website

*Note - UTSA (University of Texas at San Antonio) is seperate from UTHSCSA (University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio) which is medical institution also in the UT System.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEsananto View Post
Why do people compare universities like UTSA, which isn't even 30 years old yet, to schools like UT-Austin, which has been around for over 100 years and is one of the most endowed schools in the nation?
In their defense, UTSA is the second-largest and fastest-growing institution in the UT System. Most people outside higher ed think of institutions in terms of athletics. They know that UTSA plays Division I basketball and is probably less than 5 years away from fielding a Division I football team. So the logical conclusion for people thinking in those terms is that since it has nearly as many students and intercollegiate sports, it must be getting close to UT-Austin's prestige. The truth is much more complex, as other posters in this thread have pointed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio