Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 09:09 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,060,777 times

Advertisements

Since I started a few threads I thought it would be nice if I at least came and gave my take and showed some appreciation to you all.

I didn't take notes but I'll do my best to get names right:

Friends drove down from Austin to meet me Saturday evening and we went to the Riverwalk. Ended up at The Original Mexican Restaurant and Bar, which was... overpriced and mediocre. We had fun catching up but food wasn't really anything note worthy. After that we went briefly to Coyote Ugly which I would've liked to stayed at for a while but they weren't comfortable so we didn't order anything and just left. They really wanted cocktails and we found a place called Swig. Drinks were very good but the music was absurdly loud for the atmosphere. To answer the Hwy 37 question we walked back no problem.

In fact at no point in San Antonio did I not feel safe, even in questionable areas.

On Sunday I did go to Bolner's Meat Market only to learn they're not open on Sundays Never did make it back there unfortunately. I then went to Collector's Authority which was a bit disappointing, really hoping to find some collectible toys but it didn't compare to my local shop, even if I was after comics. He told me I might have better luck at some indoor flea market nearby that started with a P I believe. After circling the lot 4 times without finding a parking spot I gave up. Then I went over to Metroflex Gym and got a workout in.

Stopped at some Bill Miller's BBQ which was packed. I asked the woman at the take out counter what they're specialty is and she read me the specials... I said no no no I mean what are you all known for? She said BBQ. Right, but what is your top seller? Oooh the Brisket. Okay I got the brisket meal to go and brought it back to my hotel. What a ****ing disappointment that was!

Exhausted and feeling a bit malnourished decided to hit up H.E.B. and got a rotisserie chicken and side dish to have for dinner so I could eat the rest the next day. Not the best grocery store I've been in but not the worst either. Food was pretty much what I'd expect for a rotisserie chicken from a grocery store.

After the show I went back to Metroflex for another workout, great gym if you're a serious lifter like me. Spaghetti Warehouse was the only place I ate at on Monday. Sat at the bar and the people were really friendly. Food was actually quite good too for a chain restaurant (I had no idea it was a chain).

On Tuesday I went to Dragon's Lair Comics, looked like a really nice area of town. The shop was good though didn't have any older toys for me I liked it more than Collector's Authority. If I lived in S.A. the games would bring me in. Checked out the supplement shop in the same parking lot and that place was really good. Unfortunately I went into Drunken Barrel (think that was name) and so disgusted at the bartender. Asked what local beers she has and she said Budweiser. I said no no no like from San Antonio or at least Texas and she said Shiner Bock.. I mean seriously she was a terrible bartender and I came real close to saying it to her.

Anyways... then I went to The Pearl district which was terrific and really made my stay in San Antonio worth it. Stopped in to a few places but ended up eating at The Granary as soon as I smelled the food. AMAZING! Had their own beer and the BBQ Brisket Ramen which was all terrific. The entire staff and everyone at the bar was friendly too. Just overall a good place, wish my friends and I had gone here on Saturday instead of Riverwalk.

Woops almost forgot Hotel review: Red Roof Inn Downtown. Meh. It did it's job. Shower was crazy powerful, breakfast was terrible, cleaning crew didn't come every day. But price was good and was walkable to convention center and Riverwalk :\ They also really need stairs in the middle of the building. Slow elevator and no alternative unless you walk to an end.

Other than that San Antonio seemed alright. I liked the architecture a lot and y'all have some crazy highways but they seemed pretty efficient to me, if not slightly terrifying at times having to exit on Left and Right sides so much. Never got stuck in serious traffic though. I wouldn't mind another trip there sometime to see and try more things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 09:22 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Since I started a few threads I thought it would be nice if I at least came and gave my take and showed some appreciation to you all.

I didn't take notes but I'll do my best to get names right:

Friends drove down from Austin to meet me Saturday evening and we went to the Riverwalk. Ended up at The Original Mexican Restaurant and Bar, which was... overpriced and mediocre. We had fun catching up but food wasn't really anything note worthy. After that we went briefly to Coyote Ugly which I would've liked to stayed at for a while but they weren't comfortable so we didn't order anything and just left. They really wanted cocktails and we found a place called Swig. Drinks were very good but the music was absurdly loud for the atmosphere. To answer the Hwy 37 question we walked back no problem.

In fact at no point in San Antonio did I not feel safe, even in questionable areas.

On Sunday I did go to Bolner's Meat Market only to learn they're not open on Sundays Never did make it back there unfortunately. I then went to Collector's Authority which was a bit disappointing, really hoping to find some collectible toys but it didn't compare to my local shop, even if I was after comics. He told me I might have better luck at some indoor flea market nearby that started with a P I believe. After circling the lot 4 times without finding a parking spot I gave up. Then I went over to Metroflex Gym and got a workout in.

Stopped at some Bill Miller's BBQ which was packed. I asked the woman at the take out counter what they're specialty is and she read me the specials... I said no no no I mean what are you all known for? She said BBQ. Right, but what is your top seller? Oooh the Brisket. Okay I got the brisket meal to go and brought it back to my hotel. What a ****ing disappointment that was!

Exhausted and feeling a bit malnourished decided to hit up H.E.B. and got a rotisserie chicken and side dish to have for dinner so I could eat the rest the next day. Not the best grocery store I've been in but not the worst either. Food was pretty much what I'd expect for a rotisserie chicken from a grocery store.

After the show I went back to Metroflex for another workout, great gym if you're a serious lifter like me. Spaghetti Warehouse was the only place I ate at on Monday. Sat at the bar and the people were really friendly. Food was actually quite good too for a chain restaurant (I had no idea it was a chain).

On Tuesday I went to Dragon's Lair Comics, looked like a really nice area of town. The shop was good though didn't have any older toys for me I liked it more than Collector's Authority. If I lived in S.A. the games would bring me in. Checked out the supplement shop in the same parking lot and that place was really good. Unfortunately I went into Drunken Barrel (think that was name) and so disgusted at the bartender. Asked what local beers she has and she said Budweiser. I said no no no like from San Antonio or at least Texas and she said Shiner Bock.. I mean seriously she was a terrible bartender and I came real close to saying it to her.

Anyways... then I went to The Pearl district which was terrific and really made my stay in San Antonio worth it. Stopped in to a few places but ended up eating at The Granary as soon as I smelled the food. AMAZING! Had their own beer and the BBQ Brisket Ramen which was all terrific. The entire staff and everyone at the bar was friendly too. Just overall a good place, wish my friends and I had gone here on Saturday instead of Riverwalk.

Woops almost forgot Hotel review: Red Roof Inn Downtown. Meh. It did it's job. Shower was crazy powerful, breakfast was terrible, cleaning crew didn't come every day. But price was good and was walkable to convention center and Riverwalk :\ They also really need stairs in the middle of the building. Slow elevator and no alternative unless you walk to an end.

Other than that San Antonio seemed alright. I liked the architecture a lot and y'all have some crazy highways but they seemed pretty efficient to me, if not slightly terrifying at times having to exit on Left and Right sides so much. Never got stuck in serious traffic though. I wouldn't mind another trip there sometime to see and try more things.

The riverwalk is terrible for Mexican food!

Old 03-12-2015, 09:22 AM

432 posts, read 523,621 times
Grip the steering wheel real good if you are going through the I10-410 from any direction. And pay real good attention to the road action in order to stay alive. I'll swear everyone speeds up to quickly get through this exciting interchange.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:25 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,060,777 times
Ooh here's some pictures I took:

Old 03-12-2015, 09:30 AM

358 posts, read 577,764 times
Most of the tourist food downtown is pretty bad. Most any Mexican food downtown is bad. I've always assumed they keep it tepid for the touristas.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:45 AM

480 posts, read 1,183,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
The riverwalk is terrible for Mexican food!
Iron Cactus being an exception on the Riverwalk. It's pricey but very good. I take my out-of-town guests there frequently and intentionally avoid the other "Mexican" food places.

Off the RW, there are some very nice taquerias with excellent menu selections and really good food for a lot less money than you'd spend on the Riverwalk.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:46 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Ooh here's some pictures I took:
You can post your pix in a SA Photo thread (see sticky)

Old 03-12-2015, 09:52 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,576 times
Looks like you did not follow all the restaurant recommendations that were given to you in your other thread.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:05 AM

359 posts, read 773,953 times
Quote:

Bill Millers is fast food bbq. HEB rotisserie chicken is chicken left under warmer lamps all day, and Spaghetti Warehouse is bland Italian.

You made some bad culinary choices my friend. You should've consulted your trusty CD.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:05 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDillo View Post
Iron Cactus being an exception on the Riverwalk. It's pricey but very good. I take my out-of-town guests there frequently and intentionally avoid the other "Mexican" food places.

Off the RW, there are some very nice taquerias with excellent menu selections and really good food for a lot less money than you'd spend on the Riverwalk.
I second Iron Cactus. That place is good. Casa Rio is the worse Mexican food on the riverwalk and possibly downtown (2nd worse if Mi Tierra is the first)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio