Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 11:02 PM

51 posts, read 126,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If your complaint is about the address, I got news for you, your name and address is part of the public record via Bexar Appraisal District.
Actually, the appraisal district does conceal addresses of the people TexasOasis mentioned (police officers, judges, etc.) if they apply for it, so TexasOasis is, IMO, completely justified to be upset about this.

Time Warner listed our previously unlisted number and address too when we first switched over and we were miffed as well. Never thought about suing though, and by now we're unlisted again.

@TexasOasis, if you do talk to a lawyer, please let us know what they said...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 11:52 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
Just wondering what the OP thought they could get as far as reimbursement and why exactly they would think that.. funny how that was one of the first things they thought of.. and as far as the Privacy Act, here it is (http://www.usdoj.gov/oip/privstat.htm - broken link), but it's not going to help you in this case..

Several posters were absolutely right when they said how easy it is to find someone on the intraweb...

Old 02-10-2008, 03:34 AM

355 posts, read 1,375,317 times
Its really not a secret where you live. I mean you have neighbors dont you? Im sure theyve all seen you walk into your home. Unless your'e Batman and you have a secret tunnel to your house.....

Old 02-10-2008, 05:44 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,956,511 times
Honestly.. drop roadrunner phone service, and then get a cell phone. Problem solved. There are stricter laws contacting you via a cell phone, and it s never listed in a phone book.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:53 AM

8 posts, read 36,711 times
If you are truly concerned about privacy, I would consider using a more discrete user name other than "texasoasis" in online forums...maybe "Bob"? If you are a member of any other online forums it is simple to google your user name and piece together information. People will be able to find your picture, name, birthday, interests, location, etc. etc. Then as a previous poster mentioned you just type that info into a search such as pipl.com and you can get phone numbers and addresses.

I believe it is wrong that your number was released, however, it is almost impossible to secure your identity if you actively post online with the same usernames, etc.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:15 AM

26 posts, read 34,739 times
Wow such drama...my phonebook goes right from the door to the recycle bin, phonebooks are so yesterday

Old 02-10-2008, 01:54 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
The easiest way I ever got around being listed was to put a false name on the telephone number. They have to list the name you give them. for years, I was ********. When ever I got a call for that name, I said no such person, hung up and no problem. It was free too.
AT&T has to list the name you give them and then, no charge for an unlisted number becasue my real name was not there. Now I have just cell and don't worry about it.
Being listed in the phone book is a very minor infringment on privacy. Most telephone books are only used to prop the kids higher in a chair for dinner.
Check yourself out on the internet and you will be amazed at how much is there...truth or not.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:57 PM

13 posts, read 31,501 times
I had the digital phone from Time Warner and experienced 2 very strange happenings: whenever I received a phone call, my wireless mouse would stop responding. This happened repeatedly, but the customer service people at TW had never heard of it and of course, had no idea what I was talking about and didn't believe me. Second, some of the features on my telephone were disabled, which I didn't appreciate. Finally, I don't like the idea of having phone service go out when the cable goes out -- how do you call to notify or complain? You need a secondary phone for that.

I personally love landlines. The connection is more secure, clearer, does not interfere with my mouse/computer, is reliable, and so on. I have a cell only for emergencies and never use it for conversations because all cell phones seem to get so HOT, plus they are small and uncomfortable for long periods of time, and often the connection will drop and/pr have other problems. Personally I am not a great fan of the cell phone but appreciate it in an emergency.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:49 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
I'm fairly certain your mouse stopped respondng because it is also on the same 2.4 GHz freq.. That's where most wireless appliances are and it will also do it with a land line. I have a 5.8 GHz cordless phone from Panasonic and it doesn't interfere with anything. My major problem prior to changing was it interfering with my wireless router. The microwave also doesn't interfere with the 5.8 GHz range. There is also the new 6.0 GHz DECT phones and I would imagine they would be the same as far as not interfering with other appliances.
As far as losing service, it happens with regular phone lines also, or at least it did for me back when I had at&t. That's one of the reasons I have a cell phone..

Old 02-10-2008, 05:51 PM

778 posts, read 2,503,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdog69 View Post
If you are truly concerned about privacy, I would consider using a more discrete user name other than "texasoasis" in online forums...maybe "Bob"? If you are a member of any other online forums it is simple to google your user name and piece together information. People will be able to find your picture, name, birthday, interests, location, etc. etc.
Yeesh! That little search was quite trip down memory lane!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: