Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2016, 05:37 PM

55 posts, read 89,586 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

After extensive searching and weighing pros and cons, my family and I are putting roots down in the St. Hedwig, Adkins, La Vernia area. We chose this area based on a shorter commute to work, affordable housing with acreage, and just the lovely country feel.

Regarding schools, our property is situated on the Bexar County line and we are zoned for East Central ISD even though geographically we are closer to La Vernia schools. I've heard good things about La Vernia ISD but they were all rather vague, generalized statements. I can't find even generalized statements about East Central ISD, which concerns me.

- Are the La Vernia and East Central school districts comparable regarding quality of education?

- What about special education programs? Does one district do better than the other?

- Is there a program in Texas where we can select or "buy into" a different school district? Even if it's in a completely different county?

Any additional info or personal experiences regarding living in this area, attending school or teaching in either of these districts would be greatly appreciated. The most informative thread I was able to find was 10 years old and it was sparse, so some current info would be welcomed.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 07:00 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
La Vernia ISD is better and they get more parental involvement. La Vernia is at the center of the ISD while ECISD has many communities within its border. All that said it is not that much better.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:05 AM

208 posts, read 381,511 times
I believe state law requires one to attend school in the school district to which they pay taxes to regarding their residential address. Meaning...if you physically live in the East Central School District (ECSD), your child or children must attend an ECSD school.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:51 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Cop View Post
I believe state law requires one to attend school in the school district to which they pay taxes to regarding their residential address. Meaning...if you physically live in the East Central School District (ECSD), your child or children must attend an ECSD school.
Unless one of the parents is a teacher at a school out of the district where the family lives, then the student can go to that school.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Cop View Post
Thanks for your response. Disappointing but perfectly logical. Half of the street we live on is zoned for La Vernia and the other half, East Central. I picked the wrong half!

Does anyone have any information on ECISD? I've gathered that John Glenn Elementary is well-liked but that the middle and high schools leave a lot to be desired.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:18 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Unless one of the parents is a teacher at a school out of the district where the family lives, then the student can go to that school.
Even then, it is up to the district to accept those kids as out of district students.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:51 PM

Posting this here since it's relevant. There's a vote on May 7th to approve a new bond for ECISD which would cover a brand new PK-5 school for the St. Hedwig area plus renovations to other 3 elementaries and a new performing arts center.

ECISD bond will address growth - San Antonio Express-News

Old 04-29-2016, 07:15 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Even then, it is up to the district to accept those kids as out of district students.
Right...and I must add I just learned that a family relative who lives just outside of Kerrville city limits but is in a zone for Ingram school district is allowed to pay a small fee to the Kerrville school district to send her kids there instead of Ingram. Perhaps not all districts do this though.

So I don't think it is state law that the kids MUST attend the school they are zoned in.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Right...and I must add I just learned that a family relative who lives just outside of Kerrville city limits but is in a zone for Ingram school district is allowed to pay a small fee to the Kerrville school district to send her kids there instead of Ingram. Perhaps not all districts do this though.

So I don't think it is state law that the kids MUST attend the school they are zoned in.
Thanks for the info. Someone else had mentioned to me that they were able to "buy in" to another district also, but it was in a rural area so perhaps the driving distance made the switch more logical or something. But you're right, I don't think it's a statewide law.

For anyone else in my situation, I did verify that La Vernia ISD does not accept out of district transfers of any kind. I'm still going to physically check out the schools in both districts so I will use this thread as a place to put any info I dig up, since a City-Data search yields very little.

Thanks again for all the input.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:46 PM

8 posts, read 9,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids7states View Post
Thanks for your response. Disappointing but perfectly logical. Half of the street we live on is zoned for La Vernia and the other half, East Central. I picked the wrong half!

Does anyone have any information on ECISD? I've gathered that John Glenn Elementary is well-liked but that the middle and high schools leave a lot to be desired.
Having graduated from East Central recently, I can say that it is one of the most underrated schools in San Antonio. John Glenn is the best elementary school in the district and it is highly rated. Although there is some ares for improvement at the Middle and High school level, placing your child in the AP/Dual Credit program at the high school will provide them with a good foundation for them to be successful in college. Many of my classmates who graduated at the top of our class, myself included, went on to attend the top universities in the state and are doing very well. I hope this gives a small insight on the district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio