Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 11:52 AM

95 posts, read 77,210 times

Advertisements

I have read that the city is 7% black. Also, do you think I could get a job teaching special education in the city?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-24-2016, 12:00 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,272,660 times
Sure and maybe.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:03 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,057,245 times
You mean Black "people" or African-Americans? You say "blacks" like it's the 1930s.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:06 PM

61,903 posts, read 87,406,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
You mean Black "people" or African-Americans? You say "blacks" like it's the 1930s.

Too much PC. Maybe OP is not Americanized yet...
Nothing wrong with saying Black.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:50 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,065,970 times
I've heard that bilingual special ed work is pretty easy to get. Do you happen to be bilingual (Spanish)?

Old 06-24-2016, 01:06 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,793,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I know, right? I am still waiting for people to stop saying "gays".

Old 06-24-2016, 01:46 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,973,582 times
You'd be fine, but San Antonio apartments in safe/nice areas are not as cheap as some Austin posters make them out to be.

I would start applying now! It's already late in the game and most districts have already done their hiring for the upcoming school year.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:49 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,397,217 times
Default Can't say for Sure?

I cannot answer your question on race as I am uninformed entirely. I would answer yes though, right offhand. Here at this forum I have read this very topic answered by other blacks both ways, sometimes effusively answering a positive "YES"! It is great here!
Other times I have seen not so positive an answer to this question of how welcoming is the city San Antonio
for blacks.
It is quite the ethnic melting pot here in San Antonio and has been for centuries, it has been a crossroads
here for a long time, and I think not much in this aspect has changed unless you are from New York City. Entire ethnic groups, communities, have transplanted here and disappeared, been swallowed whole and nothing remains but for a minor influence here and there.
Like the guy in a men's dress suit and cowboy hat whom rides by horseback into San Antonio from Castroville all the time.
Is he still around?

Just kidding Pancho, about New Yorkers of course. Hot Sauce manufactured in New York State IS of questionable taste around here however.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:31 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,915,120 times
You need only fear other blacks here. Well, actually just those that are in gangs or other criminal activities. That goes for any race or ethnicity of course. We take in newcomers quite well here. The predominately black east side though is seeing an upsurge in violence. I'd just avoid that area and find a more peaceful part of town. Loads of teaching jobs here with huge school district budgets. Our school systems should be second to none.

Last edited by SATX56; 06-25-2016 at 12:06 PM..

Old 06-25-2016, 03:54 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,491,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
You need only fear other blacks here. Well, actually just those that are in gangs or other criminal activities. That goes for any race or ethnicity of course. We take in newcomers quite well here. The predominately black east side though is seeing an upsurge in violence. I'd just avoid that area and find a more peaceful part of town. Loads of teaching jobs here with huge school district budgets. Our school systems should be second to none.
Hopefully for the OP, if she decides to move here, most San Antonians are not as misinformed as this poster. This kind of post is not really a good example of how "welcoming" San Antonians can be to black people. The east side is actually majority Hispanic, and the black share of the population in that area has steadily gone down. There is also a lot of gang activity in parts of the west side that barely have any black people, so I don't see the point in pointing the finger at only 7% of the population for an upsurge in violence. There are other areas in San Antonio with sizable black populations that do not have high rates of violent crime. The east side, just like the west side, is a poor area with few economic opportunities. Naturally, gang activity is going to be higher there.

It would be more helpful and welcoming to tell the OP which parts of town are best rather than try to demonize the people of her race. Telling the OP she should fear only other black people here is completely unhelpful and doesn't answer her question at all. There are still places in the U.S. that are not welcoming to black people, so this type of question is not unreasonable. I don't know why someone always has to be passive aggressive on this forum when this type of question comes up. It's as if you're offended by someone having the audacity to ask if a city will be welcoming to people like her.

To the OP, I'm often the only black person posting in a variety of threads here. That's just to let you know that you may not be receiving any firsthand accounts. As a black woman who lived in San Antonio for decades, the statement that you need only fear other blacks here is preposterous. This implies that people of other races in San Antonio do not commit a lot of crime, only blacks do.

Last edited by L210; 06-25-2016 at 04:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio