Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 06:27 AM

8 posts, read 11,488 times

Advertisements

Please be postive I am curious about living in Bourne as a african american . I looked at the demographics from couple years back over 78 percent causcian. We are a family that is use to diversity a miltary family and have live in areas with people from every background so wanted to know is this area and school friendly and somewhat diverse as will have a son in highschool . We love the area and homes we know we love everyone and are christians but do know some areas can be bias. Thanks just checking snd looking to buy a home we love in the area .

Last edited by elnina; 06-30-2016 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 06:38 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,829,912 times
I think you mean "Boerne". Hopefully, someone in here has first-hand knowledge because I don't.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:26 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,046,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikip000 View Post
Please be postive I am curious about living in Bourne as a african american . I looked at the demographics from couple years back over 78 percent causcian. We are a family that is use to diversity a miltary family and have live in areas with people from every background so wanted to know is this area and school friendly and somewhat diverse as will have a son in highschool . We love the area and homes we know we love everyone and are christians but do know some areas can be bias. Thanks just checking snd looking to buy a home we love in the area .
We are a mixed family (me-Black/her-White) and we are building a home in Fair Oaks Ranch (Boerne). Even though it was a bit in the higher price range, we loved the quiet settings, trees, and "safe" community in FOR so we decided to build our "forever home" here. We are both Retired Military Professionals used to living in multi-cultural settings. My wife is an AF brat who spent the majority of her youth right here in SA so she calls this home. I was raised in the south. We also have a son in HS but he will be attending his senior year at his current school on the other side of town in the upcoming school year. I heard the Boerne ISD system is one of the best, if not the best in the San Antonio area, but I do believe the African American demographics is pretty low compared to Caucasians and Hispanics. I think I will only be the 2nd AA in my community of about 120 families. According to the recent demographic listing, there are only 71 AAs out of 9600 living in my zip code.

Last edited by Remington Steel; 06-29-2016 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: na

Old 06-29-2016, 08:06 AM

245 posts, read 236,101 times
If by diverse, you mean have a large African American population, the answer would be no. Boerne is a majority white population town, with a decent number of Hispanics sprinkled in. There are very few black folks in Boerne. I wouldn't necessarily let that scare you though. Most people are very friendly and it is a very nice area.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:15 PM

8 posts, read 11,488 times
Yes that area I'm speaking about .

Old 06-29-2016, 12:26 PM

9,849 posts, read 13,690,768 times
If diverse and military go hand in hand got you I'd check out some if the bigger homes in Schertz or the more swanky part of Alamo ranch. Schertzcwill be on the other side of town and Alamo ranch is fairly south and west of Boerne.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:04 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,034 times
I find Stone Oak to be fairly diverse for San Antonio. I volunteer at the schools so I can say firsthand that there is definitely more of a racial and nationality mix than there was when my oldest first started. Again, that's FOR San Antonio and Mexican Nationals are definitely the biggest influx out here. As to how AA kids are treated in school, I'd say they are judged on who they are not race. The athletes of both genders are quite popular based on the reaction at the Bush Athletics ceremony last month. VERY pro-military in this area. It's even next to Camp Bullis so we get serenaded by machine guns sometimes during training.

Location is not especially close to Ft Sam or the Med Center but somewhat between the two. The schools are excellent but ridiculously competative. The area is around 30 yrs old so houses are newer. Traffic is heavy. Zip codes are 78258, 78359, and 78260, not all officially SO but all the same area.

Another option is 78209 which is Alamo Heights. It would be closer to both areas. Excellent schools but probably less diverse. More "old money" vs " new money" and middle class out in the SO area. The houses in your price range would be older but less cookie-cutter. Depends on what your personal preference is.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:34 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,486,784 times
Our son plays on 2 different baseball leagues in Boerne, 1 being Little League, and I can honestly say that in the past 6 seasons he has been there, this last season was the first time I saw an African American family at the fields ...

Any other time I have been in Boerne running errands, which is pretty much weekly for the past 8 years, I have never seen an African American person ... So to answer your question, Boerne is not very diverse at all ... The people are very nice and I don't think that you would encounter any problems there at all, but if little to no diversity would make you uncomfortable then you may want to look elsewhere...

Old 06-29-2016, 09:24 PM

245 posts, read 236,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
Our son plays on 2 different baseball leagues in Boerne, 1 being Little League, and I can honestly say that in the past 6 seasons he has been there, this last season was the first time I saw an African American family at the fields ...

Any other time I have been in Boerne running errands, which is pretty much weekly for the past 8 years, I have never seen an African American person ... So to answer your question, Boerne is not very diverse at all ... The people are very nice and I don't think that you would encounter any problems there at all, but if little to no diversity would make you uncomfortable then you may want to look elsewhere...
Frankly, I have to agree. There are virtually no black folks in Boerne (less than 1%). That doesn't mean the area is bad or that anyone would be treated poorly. It just means that if by diverse you mean are there lots of AA people, well, there aren't. I personally do not feel that should dissuade anyone from living there. I don't feel anyone would encounter any difficulties living there.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:06 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,118,732 times
What I have observed is that having a military background trumps everything else around here in terms of acceptance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio