Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 06:50 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,746,446 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't buy in a neighborhood that didn't have a strong HOA. I moved out of one that had a weak HOA that was designed originally for the builder but left the neighborhood with no recourse for dealing with real problems. I had a dead beat neighbor that had abandoned his home and didn't do anything to take care of it. The neighbors tried everything they could to deal with it - but the nearly non existent HOA couldn't help us.

When I went looking for a place to build - I wanted an HOA that was strong and had lots of rules to prevent me from getting into that situation again. I love it that you can't park on the street at night, that you must bring your trash cans in by a certain time and that if you ever want to paint your trim (I am building in a standard four sides brick community) you have to get HOA approval.

I am tired of living in a community where only 50% of the people care about their yard and house. If you don't want an HOA then go live in the country in your double wide with the spare car up on blocks! Ok...yes that is a little bit of a generalization...but I might as well been in that situation in my old neighborhood. I really feel sorry for my old neighbors. The ones that kept their houses up - will suffer long term if they don't get out now. I lived between an abandoned home and a home occupied by an elderly cat lover that had four cars in his driveway even though he and his wife only drove two of them. His yard was covered in "potted plants" and "yard art". It was awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 06:58 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
If you don't want an HOA then go live in the country in your double wide with the spare car up on blocks! Ok...yes that is a little bit of a generalization...but I might as well been in that situation in my old neighborhood.
Our non-HOA neighborhood has sold houses in the $500K range lately, despite the higher rate of foreclosures elsewhere. That's higher end, but the range has been $250-350K overall, for 1000-1500 SF on small lots.

Guess we're managing in our double wide somehow.

I do wish we had an association that could keep out flippers though.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:12 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,746,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Our non-HOA neighborhood has sold houses in the $500K range lately, despite the higher rate of foreclosures elsewhere. That's higher end, but the range has been $250-350K overall, for 1000-1500 SF on small lots.

Guess we're managing in our double wide somehow.

I do wish we had an association that could keep out flippers though.
Clearly after you cross a certain price range...the less desireable folks won't be able to live in your community...but that doesn't apply to the average neighborhood. That said - I am building in a community that has a price range of $300K-$550M and they have an HOA. But after my last experience I wanted the HOA.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Clearly after you cross a certain price range...the less desireable folks won't be able to live in your community...but that doesn't apply to the average neighborhood. That said - I am building in a community that has a price range of $300K-$550M and they have an HOA. But after my last experience I wanted the HOA.
At the moment this community is very mixed income and we like that. Yes, there are some crack shacks, but slowly they're being improved. I'd prefer to keep the mixed income and the lack of HOA and deal with the occasional bad yard than to be subject to someone's whims about paint color* and when I can bring my trash cans in (although, often my neighbor will bring them in for us if he gets home before we do).

Just a personal preference. You can have your HOA. But your generalization is hardly accurate.

*paint color does have to be approved by the historic society, but it's based on historically accurate colors rather than someone who just doesn't like purple. The only rule is no black trim.

I should also add that this is a neighborhood where every house is different - some built in the same era will have a similar style, but they're all very unique. So there's no reason to try to make every property uniform.

Last edited by Chaka; 03-11-2008 at 07:28 AM..

Old 03-11-2008, 09:36 AM

188 posts, read 551,139 times
I appreciate everyone's feedback. It's interesting to hear opinions both for and against HOAs.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:20 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,694,284 times
There would be less of a need for HOAs in SA if we had a stronger city government that enforced code compliance in a timely manner and were held accountable for their lack of action.

They should add a few rules to the books such as absolutely no boat or RV storage in your driveway. Stricker yard and home maintenance enforcement would make the city look soo much better.

I remember being in Milwaukee years ago...and was amazed how ALL the lawns were maintained, even in the poor parts of the city. I was told if you didn't mow and edge your lawn, the city would come do it for you and bill you for it. I guess this level of enforcement coincides with keeping the snow off your sidewalks in the winter.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:00 PM

841 posts, read 1,747,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
There would be less of a need for HOAs in SA if we had a stronger city government that enforced code compliance in a timely manner and were held accountable for their lack of action.
Amen! The biggest problem we have in our neighborhood is with the city not enforcing the rules (well, and the school district but that's a different story). We bought in our area (voluntary HOA) thinking that the protections of a historic district would be sufficient. Unfortunately, we have had a handful of neighbors who move in (in other words, they weren't residents before the historic district came into being) thinking they can replace historic windows with vinyl or be the first with a front yard fence. Permits or Historic Review? What for? I've known some really persistant people in the neighborhood who fight for months just to get the attention of the city. Sometimes they are successful (the fence came down), but most of the time the city just ignores the situation.

I'm not saying that everyone who works for the city doesn't care (I've worked with some GREAT people at the city), but it seems that a lot of those in the management positions only serve to prevent action from taking place.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:27 PM

330 posts, read 1,373,084 times
Quote:
I am building in a community that has a price range of $300K-$550M
Daaaaaaang, are those upper-end homes made out of diamonds?

Old 03-11-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Amen! The biggest problem we have in our neighborhood is with the city not enforcing the rules (well, and the school district but that's a different story). We bought in our area (voluntary HOA) thinking that the protections of a historic district would be sufficient. Unfortunately, we have had a handful of neighbors who move in (in other words, they weren't residents before the historic district came into being) thinking they can replace historic windows with vinyl or be the first with a front yard fence. Permits or Historic Review? What for? I've known some really persistant people in the neighborhood who fight for months just to get the attention of the city. Sometimes they are successful (the fence came down), but most of the time the city just ignores the situation.
Lately we've had the opposite - I think because so many people are working on their houses, there's someone driving around every day dinging people if they don't have permits. The city finds it worthwhile because they can make some $$$ with fines. Thing is, it's not because anyone is doing anything 'wrong', they're just painting their houses - something that hadn't been done in 20+ years. We took no risks, however, we get permits for everything and run everything external through the historic review board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio