Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 08:23 AM

3 posts, read 2,665 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I have spent a little bit of time on the forums and have a few questions that only people who really know San Antonio can answer!

We are empty nesters and are planning to move to San Antonio sometime in mid/late calendar 2018.

We are coming from the Chicago area. We have identified some things we would like to finding a neighborhood but have no idea how to narrow it down (before getting in touch with a Realtor).

We want to buy a home. Our budget will max out at 825K.

-Gated community
-Ideally somewhat quiet neighborhood but obviously that can't be guaranteed anywhere
-Near(ish) drive to shopping/restaurants (could be a mall)

I'll just note because it might help that we are not cool, foodies or hip. Lol. We love to get out on occasion to museums or concerts but that is not a huge priority for us to be near: a nice house with privacy, safety and near to regular shopping for errands are our priorities.

The Dominion, Stone Oak and Alamo Heights are neighborhoods I listed based on my search.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 08:48 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,569,031 times
Your budget will carry you extremely far in San Antonio. Likely, you will find that you spend much less than that.

Keep in mind that we do not have an income tax here, but rather depend upon substantial property taxes. Dependent upon the school district, and whether you are in or out of the San Antonio city limits, a house assessed at about 375,000 will pay about $9000 in annual property taxes.

The shopping part is pretty easy...About every 2-3 miles, or so, there is usually a large pocket of retail. Gated communities are common in areas built in the last 20-30 years.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:43 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,415,730 times
Budget will go a long way. Alamo Heights and the '09 area is not gated, but have their own police departments that are quite reliable.

The AH area is quite convenient to museums, art and newer areas of redevelopment. Traffic is not a problem since your loop exposure is limited.

Would stay away from Stone Oak(traffic and road construction) or Dominion(I-10 Boerne traffic).

Old 08-14-2017, 09:56 AM

9,854 posts, read 13,741,111 times
I'd look in Oakwell Farm, 78218. It's just outside of Alamo Heights, right near the airport, the Quarry and easy to get downtown if you're hosting guests and need to do the tourist thing. It is also gated. FWIW, 410 traffic can be nearly as bad during rush hour as the Boerne traffic. Nothing compares to 281 traffic unless you're going to head up to Austin. Since moving to Austin and coming home to see family I will hit 410 at rush hour on occasion and think to myself "Well, I should have waited until 8 to get home...."

Old 08-14-2017, 10:54 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,801,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Would stay away from Stone Oak(traffic and road construction) or Dominion(I-10 Boerne traffic).
X2

And although your budget is way over what Alamo Ranch prices are...I would throw in AR on the list of places with traffic woes.

It seems Alamo Heights is your best bet.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:15 AM

50 posts, read 65,530 times
AR does have deal Webb, 55+ gated community. May be what they are looking for?

Old 08-14-2017, 11:48 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,801,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roader View Post
AR does have deal Webb, 55+ gated community. May be what they are looking for?
Good point. Del Webb would be an good option but only if they are not going to do a lot of driving in the area.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:23 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,440,613 times
Traffic in AR is not that bad, compared to Stone Oak and especially compared to like DC, Austin or LA traffic.
Alamo Ranch traffic is pretty limited to the rush hour, is easy to avoid and even during that time, on the main roads, it still isn't what I would call bad being from the DC area.

Last edited by prim8; 08-14-2017 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: readability

Old 08-14-2017, 01:08 PM

584 posts, read 1,194,878 times
Shavano Park area may be an option. There is an area that my run group run through all the time. It isn't gated but the homes are on nice lots and spread out. One of the streets is Wagon Trail Road. This area you can't even tell you are in the city. Feels like you are miles away. Shopping is super close also.

Canyon Springs is just past Stone Oak and is outside City Limits. Your price point would allow you to look at homes in the Estate/Trails/Reserve. These homes are on the golf course..well not all but some. Canyon Springs school district is divided into two parts. NEISD and Comal ISD. Comal is much cheaper school district but still a good one. Yes there is traffic to deal with during peak times but shopping and restaurants are convenient.

Link to Shavano Area
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;...v_COIN_2_A00SN

Old 08-14-2017, 01:10 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,741,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin927 View Post
Shavano Park area may be an option. There is an area that my run group run through all the time. It isn't gated but the homes are on nice lots and spread out. One of the streets is Wagon Trail Road. This area you can't even tell you are in the city. Feels like you are miles away. Shopping is super close also.

Canyon Springs is just past Stone Oak and is outside City Limits. Your price point would allow you to look at homes in the Estate/Trails/Reserve. These homes are on the golf course..well not all but some. Canyon Springs school district is divided into two parts. NEISD and Comal ISD. Comal is much cheaper school district but still a good one. Yes there is traffic to deal with during peak times but shopping and restaurants are convenient.

Link to Shavano Area
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;...v_COIN_2_A00SN
Shavano park traffic leads right into the 10/1604 traffic. That's the only drawback I would see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio