Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 07:57 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,186,979 times

Advertisements

So Grisham got what he wanted, but now he's calling for the police chief to be removed? He should leave that to the voters.

ProTip for Mr. Grisham: guns aren't required to remove someone from office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 09:31 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,828,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
So Grisham got what he wanted, but now he's calling for the police chief to be removed? He should leave that to the voters.

ProTip for Mr. Grisham: guns aren't required to remove someone from office.
There's more to the story on the Chief than just being the chief - his actions on this arrest are in question, as they have been on several others. Anyone that has watched me on this page over the years know how supportive I am of LEO's generally - but this one I can't support, and it's not just because of this one incident.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
There's more to the story on the Chief than just being the chief - his actions on this arrest are in question, as they have been on several others. Anyone that has watched me on this page over the years know how supportive I am of LEO's generally - but this one I can't support, and it's not just because of this one incident.
That's fine with me. I don't know anything about the chief, but there's nothing that dozens of armed kooks can do that the voters can't do better. At this point they're grandstanding attention seekers itching for a confrontation. If they don't live in Olmos Park they really have no dog in the hunt now that the ridiculous ordinance has been repealed.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
That's fine with me. I don't know anything about the chief, but there's nothing that dozens of armed kooks can do that the voters can't do better. At this point they're grandstanding attention seekers itching for a confrontation. If they don't live in Olmos Park they really have no dog in the hunt now that the ridiculous ordinance has been repealed.
THAT aspect of it, I don't disagree with. Although I find your characterization of them as "kooks" somewhat telling. Would you say the same if these were blacks protesting after the city finally agreed to honor MLK? In case you haven't noticed, the 2nd Amendment is under fire from many directions. Many of these folks are simply fed up with being poorly treated because they support gun ownership.

Do I agree with the protest? A LOT will depend on how they carry it off. If it's a simple march down the street with some signs, meh - let 'em do it. If it's disruptive to the point of being out of line, not so much. Thing is, sometimes it's a good thing to bring attention to the issue and make folks aware that it IS legal to do something. Obviously, I'm VERY pro-2nd, but won't be participating. Had the city NOT rescinded its' illegal ordinance, I WOULD have. The best thing the city can do is just ignore it, IMO, as long as they stay within legal bounds.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:42 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
Where will the march be? I'm interested.

"Somebody can accidentally shoot somebody, accidentally or someone could get into a fight with each other for some stupid reason," said Sheri Funk.

Most pro-2nd Amendment people are exactly the type of people that are LEAST likely to "accidentally shoot someone".

Old 04-03-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
THAT aspect of it, I don't disagree with. Although I find your characterization of them as "kooks" somewhat telling. Would you say the same if these were blacks protesting after the city finally agreed to honor MLK? In case you haven't noticed, the 2nd Amendment is under fire from many directions. Many of these folks are simply fed up with being poorly treated because they support gun ownership.

Do I agree with the protest? A LOT will depend on how they carry it off. If it's a simple march down the street with some signs, meh - let 'em do it. If it's disruptive to the point of being out of line, not so much. Thing is, sometimes it's a good thing to bring attention to the issue and make folks aware that it IS legal to do something. Obviously, I'm VERY pro-2nd, but won't be participating. Had the city NOT rescinded its' illegal ordinance, I WOULD have. The best thing the city can do is just ignore it, IMO, as long as they stay within legal bounds.
I called them kooks because I've been aware of Grisham for a long time and that's how he strikes me. It would be fine if he and his minions march with signs tomorrow, and I wouldn't even mind if the signs gloat a bit about the results their last stunt achieved. But now that they've achieved their goal there's no need for dozens of wannabe Rambos walking around with ARs.

For what it's worth, I'm also a strong 2A supporter, gun owner, veteran, and licensed to carry. It just makes my skin crawl when a bunch of guys bent on confrontation think it's a good idea to swarm a public area with rifles. They about half a step removed from the so-called sovereign citizens that you see on YouTube. (Speaking of YouTube, I just read that they have an active shooter at their headquarters.)

EDIT: Early news reports say that the shooter is a white woman wearing a headscarf.

Last edited by DerpyDerp; 04-03-2018 at 02:55 PM..

Old 04-03-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Most pro-2nd Amendment people are exactly the type of people that are LEAST likely to "accidentally shoot someone".
Clearly not an accident, but one of the Open Carry Texas members shot and killed her husband and stepdaughter not too long ago:

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...nd-5952908.php

Old 04-03-2018, 04:56 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
Quote:
Clearly not an accident, but one of the Open Carry Texas members shot and killed her husband and stepdaughter not too long ago:

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...nd-5952908.php
Guess what? Just today, someone, somewhere who is NOT an Open Carry Texas member shot and killed her husband and stepdaughter.

Soviet said "most" anyway, he never said Pro 2A people never commit murder.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Guess what? Just today, someone, somewhere who is NOT an Open Carry Texas member shot and killed her husband and stepdaughter.

Soviet said "most" anyway, he never said Pro 2A people never commit murder.
I was driving home my earlier point where I described the Open Carry Texas people kooks. It has nothing to do with them being pro-2A and everything to do with their confrontational tactics.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I was driving home my earlier point where I described the Open Carry Texas people kooks. It has nothing to do with them being pro-2A and everything to do with their confrontational tactics.
So - you would characterize the labor movement, civil rights groups and political activists in the same manner?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio