Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 10:50 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,743,763 times

Advertisements

I get what the activists were trying to do in the video but watching it it seemed like A they confronted the police. The video started with the activist dude saying "you can put that gun away....." and B they came across like raving lunatics. In a time where the world is on edge about guns I am not sure it helps anyone to stand on the corner with a rifle confronting police.

Again, I get open carry and I am not against it but I think they took a radical way to convey their message and it came across more as enticing the police into a lawsuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 12:48 PM

292 posts, read 365,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I get what the activists were trying to do in the video but watching it it seemed like A they confronted the police. The video started with the activist dude saying "you can put that gun away....." and B they came across like raving lunatics. In a time where the world is on edge about guns I am not sure it helps anyone to stand on the corner with a rifle confronting police.

Again, I get open carry and I am not against it but I think they took a radical way to convey their message and it came across more as enticing the police into a lawsuit.
It was behavior intended to provoke a response, and I agree it was "radical." It's equal radical for some government officials of a tiny city to decide that state law doesn't apply to them and that they can do whatever they please. If I'm not mistaken, the mayor is an attorney, he can't plead ignorance as an excuse.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:46 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,333,940 times
Remember that San Antonio had a similar law a few years ago. When I asked the SAPD spokesperson how this conflicted with the state, he said they would enforce the city law. They changed their mind later.

Old 04-01-2018, 02:01 AM

265 posts, read 535,753 times
Penal code 42.01 subsection 8 makes it illegal to 'brandish a weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm.' If OPPD received just 1 call from someone alarmed by the conduct of these 'defenders,' then the police had authority to act.... regardless of their "city ordinance." The subsequent resistance by the suspect(s) further fueled alarm and raised the mount of force necessary in executing an arrest and accordingly, additional charges.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:49 AM

7,131 posts, read 11,860,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John911 View Post
Penal code 42.01 subsection 8 makes it illegal to 'brandish a weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm.' If OPPD received just 1 call from someone alarmed by the conduct of these 'defenders,' then the police had authority to act.... regardless of their "city ordinance." The subsequent resistance by the suspect(s) further fueled alarm and raised the mount of force necessary in executing an arrest and accordingly, additional charges.
Nope - because of an overreaction by a unreasonable person, you don't get to go busting heads. The weapon was slung/holstered - therefore, no cause for alarm by a reasonable person.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:44 PM

265 posts, read 535,753 times
Think of the venue, we're talking about Olmos Park, a step up from Alamo Heights... the police cater to the hyper-sensitivities and respond and take action on calls other departments don't. It is what is expected of them. Any reasonable person would know this. The protesters knew this and knew it would cause alarm, that's intent. They went looking for trouble and found it.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:34 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,860,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John911 View Post
Think of the venue, we're talking about Olmos Park, a step up from Alamo Heights... the police cater to the hyper-sensitivities and respond and take action on calls other departments don't. It is what is expected of them. Any reasonable person would know this. The protesters knew this and knew it would cause alarm, that's intent. They went looking for trouble and found it.
Doesn't give the PD grounds to do what they did.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:24 AM

603 posts, read 446,775 times
Quote:
OLMOS PARK, TX - Members of the group Open Carry Texas are planning a massive protest where dozens, if not hundreds, of armed people will line the streets on Olmos Park this Saturday.
Armed protest planned in Olmos Park this weekend | WOAI

Old 04-03-2018, 07:02 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,042,763 times
That'll be fun to watch.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:14 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,798,277 times
Alamo Heights quickly voted to remove an similar ordinance after the Olmos Park incident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio