Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 11:37 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,747,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Another potential issue with putting AC in the garage is that the concrete floor could "sweat" with condensation and stay damp while the AC is on, due to its inherent moisture and the wicking effect when it draws moisture from the soil. Sealing the floor is probably a must to prevent that.
When a slab is poured isn't it poured over a thick plastic vapor barrier? How would it pull moisture up onto the floor? How would it be any different than the slab under your carpet? Now if the slab is poured right on dirt without any moister stop then I could see that - but I thought code called for some type of moister barrier between the slab and the dirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 12:15 PM

226 posts, read 926,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Some of the metal garage doors have rigid foam panel insulating kits available. My mom has a Clopay brand metal garage door, and the installer used one of these kits when he installed the door several years ago. It was cheaper than getting the door with pre-encased insulation. The insulating panels snap in on the inside.

For my garage door, I went to Lowes and bought sheet insulation with reflective coat and just cut out pieces with a box cutter to fit the garage door. It's a good cheap solution.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:16 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,796,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
When a slab is poured isn't it poured over a thick plastic vapor barrier? How would it pull moisture up onto the floor? How would it be any different than the slab under your carpet? Now if the slab is poured right on dirt without any moister stop then I could see that - but I thought code called for some type of moister barrier between the slab and the dirt.
Depends... what were the standards when your house was built? In my case, I have no clue what they did 17 years ago. (edit: o snap, never realized who i was replying to! didn't mean to stir up a mess o' trouble by asking about certain builders and foundations )

But installing a radiant barrier really cooled things down in the garage. It was a really unexpected outcome, but I'll take it.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Depends... what were the standards when your house was built? In my case, I have no clue what they did 17 years ago. (edit: o snap, never realized who i was replying to! didn't mean to stir up a mess o' trouble by asking about certain builders and foundations )

But installing a radiant barrier really cooled things down in the garage. It was a really unexpected outcome, but I'll take it.
I have no idea what the standards were 17 years ago...I would just imagine that the entire slab would be done the same way. Why put a moisture barrier under part of the slab and not the garage. I am not talking about builders here...just about construction standards. An honest question.

My house has a radiant barrier...but the garage is not insullated...it is hotter than heck out there in the afternoon/evening.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:03 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times
First if you're going to air condition a garage you want to insulate the roof or ceiling. Staple the roll fiberglass between beams.staple chicken wire across to help hold it up. For a much more finished and neater look put 4X8' sheets of styrofoam insulation over the roll fiberglass. If you want insulate the walls the same way or just use the 4X8 sheets. Seal around doors and windows. Get a slightly over sized (Btu rating) A/C for area.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:06 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,411,115 times
In the past , a house slab was poured separately from the garage. It was not done on the cheap, but more by convention. Now I think everyone, including the tract builders, pour the whole slab and garage as an integral unit.

I cannot believe that moisture would ever be a concern, but if so, a dehumidifier will more than suffice.

Insulating the garage is a must.I would insulate the ceiling and the non common walls with the house. On the common wall, a case could be made that moisture might be trapped and it insulated on the other side.

No window units because of a HOA? I was walking this morning and saw few garages or staff houses w/o window units. In fact, I saw a number of homes with window units.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
In the past , a house slab was poured separately from the garage. It was not done on the cheap, but more by convention. Now I think everyone, including the tract builders, pour the whole slab and garage as an integral unit.
Are you talking about detached garages? Those aren't very popular in San Antonio. Now in some cities (like Houston) they are everywhere. I have no idea about how those are constructed - but I could see them done differently in those cases. I am assuming that in a house where the garage is attached that the slab would be done the same for both the home and garage.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Are you talking about detached garages? Those aren't very popular in San Antonio. Now in some cities (like Houston) they are everywhere. I have no idea about how those are constructed - but I could see them done differently in those cases. I am assuming that in a house where the garage is attached that the slab would be done the same for both the home and garage.
I had a home built in the early 50's with an attached garage. It was evident that it was a separate pouring. I eventually enclosed it and made a living area.
Now it is simpler, even with a detached garage, to prepare the slabs the same and pour them at the same time.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
I had a home built in the early 50's with an attached garage. It was evident that it was a separate pouring. I eventually enclosed it and made a living area.
Now it is simpler, even with a detached garage, to prepare the slabs the same and pour them at the same time.
Very interesting. Learn something new every day. I can't imagine why they (builders) would do seperate pours. Is there a visible seam/joint between the house and garage? What tipped you off to the fact that they were two pours.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Very interesting. Learn something new every day. I can't imagine why they (builders) would do seperate pours. Is there a visible seam/joint between the house and garage? What tipped you off to the fact that they were two pours.
An obvious gap between the home and the garage that had a fabric expansion joint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio