Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 10:00 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I heard that was going to happen. Any idea what the timeline is?
Don't know, but have hopes for new addition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 01:47 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Have you been to the Blanco @ 1604 store? They have an entire camping build out to sell knock off of YETI accessories. So odd.

A friend of mine complains about it.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:44 PM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Interesting that Central Market has most beautiful stores in Dallas, Houston and Austin, but not San Antonio.
There are TWO stores in Austin and TWO in Dallas (SIX in the area). The newest store in Dallas is truly a state of the art.
And the Houston store with over 85,000 sqft is the largest.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:53 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
The clientele in Dallas is completely different. Also the Krogers, Tom Thumbs, Aldi's, Trader Joe's, Albertson's (and I think I'm forgetting a chain or two) are competitors there that SA HEB's don't really have to contend with. Yes we have TJ's but they're too spread out to really hurt HEB. Not sure about Houston's market.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:55 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Interesting that Central Market has most beautiful stores in Dallas, Houston and Austin, but not San Antonio.
There are TWO stores in Austin and TWO in Dallas (SIX in the area). The newest store in Dallas is truly a state of the art.
The Stone Oak Market has a very modern look like the Montrose market. Alon is also unique. Demographics and population size are obvious answers to your query.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:33 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Bear in mind that the San Antonio store is 20 years old and is in a small building with limited room for expansion. I'm sure if they built a new one, it would be large and beautiful. But I'm not sure San Antonio can support two CMs.

Have you seen the new HEB downtown on South Flores? (The HEBita?) It's tiny and beautiful, with fantastic pizza.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:45 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Bear in mind that the San Antonio store is 20 years old and is in a small building with limited room for expansion. I'm sure if they built a new one, it would be large and beautiful. But I'm not sure San Antonio can support two CMs.

Have you seen the new HEB downtown on South Flores? (The HEBita?) It's tiny and beautiful, with fantastic pizza.
I don't see why not, I could see one opening up on IH10W somewhere between 1604 and the Dominion. Do wealthy people from up there seriously drive all the way down to Alamo Heights for better variety or do they opt to instead go to the Whole Foods up there?

Usually, its the people within loop 410 that are inconvenienced with having to travel North... for example with Costco, all SA locations are along North 1604.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:54 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I don't see why not, I could see one opening up on IH10W somewhere between 1604 and the Dominion. Do wealthy people from up there seriously drive all the way down to Alamo Heights for better variety or do they opt to instead go to the Whole Foods up there?

Usually, its the people within loop 410 that are inconvenienced with having to travel North... for example with Costco, all SA locations are along North 1604.
Based on income levels Schertz, Alamo Ranch, Leon Springs, and Stone Oak could all support CM. There was a press release that said they were not expanding the CM presence in San Antonio. Instead they were opting for the Plus model like Blanco which has many of the CM brand items.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:18 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,536,063 times
^^ That makes sense. Regarding the "HEBita" on Flores downtown, a friend of mine works there and he says they don't sell cigarettes or ice strategically. They don't want the community to treat it as a convenience store and it helps keep out the riff-raff.

This is one thing I appreciate about HEB. Unlike WalMart or Target where every store is basically the same, each HEB store has its own layout and "personality." My mother likes to shop at the smaller elevated one on Nogalitos just Southwest of downtown where parking is under the store. Even though she doesn't live in that area, she prefers that HEB because it isn't as overwhelming as the bigger ones South of downtown and it actually feels like you are shopping at a Soriana or other supermarket in Mexico with the carts that go up the ramp. It used to feel more like a little Handy Andy before they demolished and rebuilt it a few years ago.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:58 PM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:

Just googled that location and indeed, it looks very nice. I might make the trip across the town to explore.

However, our Central Market is old, and small, and the selection of gourmet or imports is pretty mediocre.
Are we too poor or unimportant to have a nice store like the other big cities? Or perhaps the company thinks they don't need to invest their money because here is no competition to beat?
What are the upscale grocery stores in San Antonio? Do we have any?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio