Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 03:03 PM

32 posts, read 25,894 times

Advertisements

My company offered me a relocation package to San Antonio, so I have a good job going there, but I don't want to jump into buying a house right away. Looking up rentals, they seem to be as high as in Seattle, where I currently live.

I am still fighting the idea of relocating to Texas, even though I am single, with no family ties, and I will totally be on the same page with the Texans regarding politics and life in general.

Asking for advice on rentals - which area would be decent. I don't need a mansion, just a 1 bedroom, modest, but I don't want to end up in a slum. I've been reading all kind of horror stories on this forum and elsewhere about rentals in San Antonio, house break-ins and so on. I am trying to take everything with a grain of salt though.

Please give me some data - decent rental neighborhoods, what is a ballpark number for monthly rent, what should I look for.

Any other topics or ideas are appreciated. I am about 50-50 at this point, the work will be great experience, and I am not leaving anything I truly care about back in Seattle.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 05:36 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
Where is your job? San Antonio is a big, sprawling city. What is your budget?

And what is your perception about Texans regarding politics and life in general?

Old 05-02-2019, 07:34 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Where is your job? San Antonio is a big, sprawling city. What is your budget?

And what is your perception about Texans regarding politics and life in general?
This is the main thing. I believe it can take an hour to drive from one side of the city to another. Have you visited San Antonio yet? Is there anything that you need to have in a home? Close to a park, close to a specific type of store, close to doctors, etc?

Old 05-02-2019, 07:53 PM

I have been to SA several time for work, about a week at a time. My whole project is moving there and I have this offer to move and be there for at least 3-4 years, and maybe stay longer after this project is done.

Re: Texas, it's a republican state and I believe people are friendlier, straight shooters with more common sense and are more responsible than people from Seattle. I prefer that somebody tells me to my face what the issue is, and work it out, over people who smile to your face and stab you in the back, or passive-aggresively hold a grudge without openly admitting it. I don't involve myself too much in politics, but I am fed up with the liberal democrat stupidity that is so prevalent in the west coast.

One of the biggest issues for me will be the summer heat. Also, I like hiking (Seattle area is great for that) and going offroading on my truck, no idea how SA area looks like for those type of activities.

My work is about 10 miles SW of downtown, I believe the area is called South San Antonio. Ideal I would live a bit outside of the city, W or SW of the area.

Re: budget, I would like to pay up to $1200 / mo., I can afford better but I prefer to save the money, I don't have luxury requirements, i just want a safe area, don't want to deal with home or car break-ins and stolen property.

I am still pondering upon this, I hate moving and I am comfortable in Seattle, but I also like this opportunity and eventually I plan to leave Seattle and WA state when I retire (in about 10 years).

Old 05-03-2019, 12:46 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
Castroville, Devine, Lytle, Natalia, with Castroville being the nicest, sound like some places for you. Possibly Hondo or Pleasanton too. They will be a bit further out.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Castroville, Devine, Lytle, Natalia, with Castroville being the nicest, sound like some places for you. Possibly Hondo or Pleasanton too. They will be a bit further out.
WWith a $1200 budget in that area the OP should be able to get a nice country house for that price.

South San Antonio isn't nearly a cool/hip/millenial as the more central areas. I'm not sure what type of person you are when you say "hiking." When I hear hiking up here in Austin I think hipsters in Outdoor Voices gear walking on a gravel trail on the Greenbelt. When I think hiking in SA I think Government Canyon, trail boots and Nalgene bottles. What type of hiking are you in to? Instragram worthy hikes or get out of the hustle and bustle of the world and hike? Either way, we have some nice little spots in the immediate area (Government Canyon and Fredrich Park at the two that come to mind) and if you go out a bit further north towards the HIll Country there are some other spots as well.

The heat is REAL. I'm not sure how long you have to make a decision, but if it is a bit of time I'd schedule a trip for the end of May and see what the heat feels like to you.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:46 AM

@ashbeeigh, hiking = get out of the hustle and bustle, trail boots, nobody around me for miles, camping in my truck, watching the sunset and smoking my pipe. I don't do any social media, and not updating anybody on my whereabouts every 5 minutes.

I would love a small house with a huge garage, actually just a huge garage with a toilet, that's all I need.

Re: HEat, i lived in Florida for about 10 years (Ft. Lauderdate), took me 1 year to adapt to the hear and humidity there, but I was a lot younger and north Miami has (or had) a nude beach, so that made it easier. Any idea how is SA heat compared to Ft. Lauderdale?

Old 05-03-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mupsie View Post
@ashbeeigh, hiking = get out of the hustle and bustle, trail boots, nobody around me for miles, camping in my truck, watching the sunset and smoking my pipe. I don't do any social media, and not updating anybody on my whereabouts every 5 minutes.

I would love a small house with a huge garage, actually just a huge garage with a toilet, that's all I need.

Re: HEat, i lived in Florida for about 10 years (Ft. Lauderdate), took me 1 year to adapt to the hear and humidity there, but I was a lot younger and north Miami has (or had) a nude beach, so that made it easier. Any idea how is SA heat compared to Ft. Lauderdale?

It will be a trek to get compeltely away. I envison a good trip to Big Bend to get exactly what you are looking for, but you should be able to get some of that in the Hill Country. I can't speak to the heat, but I think those west and southwest areas that had been mentioned are good options for you. The closer you get to Culebra the more "suburban" it gets, so I would at least look out towards Medina Valley, but even those are getting sprawl-y.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:26 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
One good thing about getting out to the more rural areas......if you're a decent conversationalist with some patience, get to know the locals, and let it be known that you're the type that loves to "rough it" and just get away. Country folks are funny - but if they take a liking to you, you just might find yourself being invited to camp out at their "place in the country". As long as you treat the place with respect, you'll be good.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:13 AM

Castroville looks good, at least on google maps, it will be a 20 mile commute or so, which is really good. Roads seems very well maintained, not sure about traffic.

I tend to prefer more rural areas.

Thank you all for the input, I appreciate your time. Will do more research, but i'm liking the idea so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio