Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 06:56 AM

4,445 posts, read 5,369,319 times

Advertisements

So this thread is still open...

White people helped children and then we had to criticize that fact that they were too white.

Welcome to the sh%tshow that is 2019 and beyond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 08:10 PM

4,421 posts, read 6,278,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbcfy View Post
So, I received my copy of the 2019 Charity Ball Rotogravure in the mail, which is basically the magazine that all the Lily-White 209 crowd publishes every year to show off how much money they give to children’s causes in San Antonio.

Holy Smokes. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a more self-serving self-grandious display before in my life. Here, have a look:

https://www.cbaofsa.org/files/docume...9_Roto_Web.pdf

Did I say Lily-White? Because yup, it’s bright in there. Not a single person of color is a member of this group of folks... and I believe ONE Hispanic. If it’s not blue hairs sitting prim-and-proper for the photographers on furniture that probably smells like mothballs, it’s pictures of the up and coming society ladies who married into old 209 wealth (oil, real estate development) posing with disadvantaged children that they’re raising money for. “Children Benefit Always” - as well as all the egos. Lots of photos of very advantaged children in there as well - and the common uniform seems to be lily-white linen.

I wonder if you can find a copy of the Rotogravure on the east side anywhere, or in any of the south side HEBs?

I get that once you can look past all these folks scrambling to grab hold of a disadvantage child to take a picture with, all the while promoting their own businesses that mostly cater to, well, themselves, I suppose they do some good for the community.

But still, gross.

The "lily white" 209 crowd? Alamo Heights ISD is 46% non-white.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:39 PM

874 posts, read 2,898,496 times
Quote:
I think the point is that San Antonio is a pretty diverse community. Probably one of the most diverse large cities in all of the United States.
I didn't read through all of the comments, but... San Antonio is NOT a diverse city. Definitely not one of the most diverse. Diverse = great deal of variety. San Antonio = not so much variety. It seems to be growing less diverse over time. Not saying that is a good or bad thing - just an observation.

2018 Census: 64% Hispanic, 25% White, 7% African American, 0.7% Native American, 2.7% Asian...

Last edited by buffy888; 10-16-2019 at 09:48 PM..

Old 10-17-2019, 01:20 PM

1,378 posts, read 740,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
So.....enlighten us, Oh Exalted Posturing One....

How much money did YOU donate to that same cause?

Wow, not surprised by your response here. You do realize that with non profits, its more than just money right? A person can donate supplies/resources, and volunteering while donating your time, also donates money wise since its money that they do not have to pay.

Quote:
You know when you open up a guide that shows how much a family or individual donated to a cause, and there is an “Anonymous” entry? Yup, that’s my family.

I don’t need to drop my shorts and compare sizes with anyone. My family feels just as good either giving $$ to a good cause, or donating our time and effort, without anyone having to “know” about it.
No one has said it, so I will, Good job and thanks for donating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Well that's wonderful...thanks for your contribution.
So why all the racist comments in your original post? Who cares what color skin they have?
Judge a person by their actions and the way they present themselves, not their skin color.
Why is it racist to point out the obvious? The city is 64% hispanic and its all caucasian people..that doesn't seem odd to you?

You do realize that people with old money have that money because in Texas, hispanics were kicked off their own land and some were even refused to be sold houses in certain neighborhoods right?

Old 10-17-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakssa View Post
At least they are giving back to the community and who cares what race they are?! You sound more envious than anything!
Throwing money at the problem is probably the laziest thing that a person can do. If they really want to give back, why don't they go to the south or east side and help out with non profits there? Oh wait, you won't catch them on that side of town I bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I guess the moral of the story is "Don't succeed and give back to the community via an event that continues to grow each year, because someone's going to be more concerned about the color of your skin than the good you try to do."

Racist much?
That's the least that they can do considering how when Anglo Americans came in, they harassed Texian citizens and kicked them off their land. This is why some people are stuck in generational poverty.

Quote:
Again, no. I've already had to back you off another issue (chase policy?) by DESTROYING YOU WITH FACTS AND LOGIC like Ben Shapiro, so... . I'm kidding....

I'm actually pointing out the lack of diversity in a San Antonio institution that is a self-serving bubble and completely insular. And let's be realistic. That whole dog and pony show look-at-me! effort raised a little over a million dollars. There are some private schools in San Antonio that raise almost that much just for their annual funds.

Like I pretty much said in the title - it's a big circle jerk for the 209 crowd and really doesn't do THAT much for the community. It's more of a huge social process for a lot of folks.

Anyway, I'm being much more light hearted about this whole thing than most of you. It's fun to poke fun at these folks sometimes, and it's good to have the tough conversation every once in a while about this stuff.
Destroy you with facts and logic...lol..oh man you are too much, get'em!

Old 10-18-2019, 08:57 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,035,507 times
The backlash from all of this anti-white garbage is not going to be pretty. Surely you understand this.

Old 10-18-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
The backlash from all of this anti-white garbage is not going to be pretty. Surely you understand this.
How so in a city that is 64% hispanic?

Old 10-19-2019, 08:33 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,735,619 times
Quote:
So, I received my copy of the 2019 Charity Ball Rotogravure in the mail, which is basically the magazine that all the Lily-White 209 crowd publishes every year to show off how much money they give to children’s causes in San Antonio.

Holy Smokes. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a more self-serving self-grandious display before in my life. Here, have a look:

Did I say Lily-White? Because yup, it’s bright in there. Not a single person of color is a member of this group of folks... and I believe ONE Hispanic. If it’s not blue hairs sitting prim-and-proper for the photographers on furniture that probably smells like mothballs, it’s pictures of the up and coming society ladies who married into old 209 wealth (oil, real estate development) posing with disadvantaged children that they’re raising money for. “Children Benefit Always” - as well as all the egos. Lots of photos of very advantaged children in there as well - and the common uniform seems to be lily-white linen.

I wonder if you can find a copy of the Rotogravure on the east side anywhere, or in any of the south side HEBs?

I get that once you can look past all these folks scrambling to grab hold of a disadvantage child to take a picture with, all the while promoting their own businesses that mostly cater to, well, themselves, I suppose they do some good for the community.

But still, gross.
Unreal and other worldly to say the least! I’ve never look San Antonio so white other than the Cavalier float at the River Parade. Where do they all hide? They must be a pretty racist group if they didn’t even let coconut Ernesto Ancira join “the club”. Nothing wrong with being Anglo white, just seems odd in a city where they are a minority.

Old 03-04-2020, 08:54 AM

658 posts, read 725,855 times
Quote:

But still, gross.
Just on the topic of "lily white" to describe Caucasian people, I had a good friend with blond hair and blue eyes and white skin. She was Chilean and lots of idiot Spanish speakers in NYC assumed she was just a "white" person with that sterotype, that she couldn't possibly understand Spanish or couldn't possibly be Hispanic. So check all your prejudice there because being white skinned doesn't mean you're not also Hispanic. And being "of color" doesn't mean much since Italians are "of color" and can be quite dark while not being Hispanic at all. Hispanic is not an "of color", it's an ethnicity and anyone can be Hispanic and still part of their race. There are only three races.

And no matter how mad you are about those particular white people having money, it's still offensive to call Caucasian people "lily white" as some kind of slur. There's nothing wrong with having white skin just as there's nothing wrong with not having white skin. You judge like mad crazy.

Old 03-04-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
So check all your prejudice there because being white skinned doesn't mean you're not also Hispanic. And being "of color" doesn't mean much since Italians are "of color" and can be quite dark while not being Hispanic at all. Hispanic is not an "of color", it's an ethnicity and anyone can be Hispanic and still part of their race. There are only three races.

And no matter how mad you are about those particular white people having money, it's still offensive to call Caucasian people "lily white" as some kind of slur. There's nothing wrong with having white skin just as there's nothing wrong with not having white skin. You judge like mad crazy.
So do you do everything the government tells you to do? Who taught you that Hispanics are not "of color" and that they are a ethnicity and not a race? The government? Your friends? Have you actually asked a Hispanic person what they think? Most will say that they are POC and they are not considered "white". And btw, Native Americans are considered a race, so are Asians, and African Americans.

And yes there is something wrong with this when its an organization that has very few members of another race, especially when said race is a majority in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio