Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 08:56 PM

303 posts, read 366,908 times

Advertisements

So, I received my copy of the 2019 Charity Ball Rotogravure in the mail, which is basically the magazine that all the Lily-White 209 crowd publishes every year to show off how much money they give to children’s causes in San Antonio.

Holy Smokes. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a more self-serving self-grandious display before in my life. Here, have a look:

https://www.cbaofsa.org/files/docume...9_Roto_Web.pdf

Did I say Lily-White? Because yup, it’s bright in there. Not a single person of color is a member of this group of folks... and I believe ONE Hispanic. If it’s not blue hairs sitting prim-and-proper for the photographers on furniture that probably smells like mothballs, it’s pictures of the up and coming society ladies who married into old 209 wealth (oil, real estate development) posing with disadvantaged children that they’re raising money for. “Children Benefit Always” - as well as all the egos. Lots of photos of very advantaged children in there as well - and the common uniform seems to be lily-white linen.

I wonder if you can find a copy of the Rotogravure on the east side anywhere, or in any of the south side HEBs?

I get that once you can look past all these folks scrambling to grab hold of a disadvantage child to take a picture with, all the while promoting their own businesses that mostly cater to, well, themselves, I suppose they do some good for the community.

But still, gross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 09:11 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,846,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbcfy View Post
I get that once you can look past all these folks scrambling to grab hold of a disadvantage child to take a picture with, all the while promoting their own businesses that mostly cater to, well, themselves, I suppose they do some good for the community.

But still, gross.
So.....enlighten us, Oh Exalted Posturing One....

How much money did YOU donate to that same cause?

Old 10-14-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
So.....enlighten us, Oh Exalted Posturing One....

How much money did YOU donate to that same cause?

You know when you open up a guide that shows how much a family or individual donated to a cause, and there is an “Anonymous” entry? Yup, that’s my family.

I don’t need to drop my shorts and compare sizes with anyone. My family feels just as good either giving $$ to a good cause, or donating our time and effort, without anyone having to “know” about it.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:44 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,505,675 times
Quote:
You know when you open up a guide that shows how much a family or individual donated to a cause, and there is an “Anonymous” entry? Yup, that’s my family.

I don’t need to drop my shorts and compare sizes with anyone. My family feels just as good either giving $$ to a good cause, or donating our time and effort, without anyone having to “know” about it.
Well that's wonderful...thanks for your contribution.
So why all the racist comments in your original post? Who cares what color skin they have?
Judge a person by their actions and the way they present themselves, not their skin color.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:05 PM

Racist comments? I don’t think so. Lack of diversity comments... you betcha...

And, I kinda did judge them by the way they presented themselves. Like, the magazine is literally a photo shoot of lily white “high society” in San Antonio.

They literally presented themselves to us and said “look at me!” LOL!

Old 10-14-2019, 10:40 PM

203 posts, read 561,627 times
Quote:
So, I received my copy of the 2019 Charity Ball Rotogravure in the mail, which is basically the magazine that all the Lily-White 209 crowd publishes every year to show off how much money they give to children’s causes in San Antonio.

Holy Smokes. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a more self-serving self-grandious display before in my life. Here, have a look:

https://www.cbaofsa.org/files/docume...9_Roto_Web.pdf

Did I say Lily-White? Because yup, it’s bright in there. Not a single person of color is a member of this group of folks... and I believe ONE Hispanic. If it’s not blue hairs sitting prim-and-proper for the photographers on furniture that probably smells like mothballs, it’s pictures of the up and coming society ladies who married into old 209 wealth (oil, real estate development) posing with disadvantaged children that they’re raising money for. “Children Benefit Always” - as well as all the egos. Lots of photos of very advantaged children in there as well - and the common uniform seems to be lily-white linen.

I wonder if you can find a copy of the Rotogravure on the east side anywhere, or in any of the south side HEBs?

But still, gross.
At least they are giving back to the community and who cares what race they are?! You sound more envious than anything!

Old 10-15-2019, 06:01 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,354,787 times
Another quality post on the city data forum.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakssa View Post
At least they are giving back to the community and who cares what race they are?! You sound more envious than anything!
Envious? Just a wild guess here... I'm thinking.... that you misinterpreted my post.

I think the point is that San Antonio is a pretty diverse community. Probably one of the most diverse large cities in all of the United States.

The entire thing reeks of wealthy elitist conspicuous consumption and much much less doing a good thing. In a time where income inequality is quite possibly never more acute, something like this is simply gross.

But yea, I'm super envious!

Old 10-15-2019, 06:45 AM

4,333 posts, read 7,245,155 times
Quote:
IIRC for at least the past 30 years, a copy of that magazine has been included in an October Sunday edition of the E-N after the ball is held. I wasn't aware of another distribution channel for that annual photo magazine, and I haven't seen the printed one for this year yet.

Aren't all those corporate sponsors listed participants, too?

Old 10-15-2019, 07:54 AM

7,131 posts, read 11,846,771 times
I guess the moral of the story is "Don't succeed and give back to the community via an event that continues to grow each year, because someone's going to be more concerned about the color of your skin than the good you try to do."

Racist much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio