Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 01:52 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,140,362 times

Advertisements

My sister and her husband is moving to San Antonio from Los Angeles and looking to buy a house. Any area to avoid? Forgot to mention that she will be working in downtown and looking not to spend over 500k

Last edited by looker009; 05-19-2020 at 02:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 06:55 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,773,330 times
In my opinion, this is not a good place to ask what areas to avoid. Too many different responses tend to happen. Do a search on this forum and you know what I mean.

With that budget and working downtown, your sister will be fine living downtown in my opinion. Some place near Southtown, Pearl, etc.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:05 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,032,612 times
I`d personally avoid these four zip codes:

https://therivardreport.com/sas-wors...our-zip-codes/

There are plenty of other places that are poor and/or unsightly, but San Antonio is a pretty chill city given its size and poverty.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:18 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,690,768 times
What things does your family want to be around? Suburban? Urban? Big giant house where the San Antonio spurs live or historic house near downtown? Are schools important? Would they go private if they lived in an area where schools weren't good? Is husband working? Where is that job? Have they been to San Antonio before? Are they only wanting to move here because of work? Have they visited before? Agree on a search.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:47 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,002,363 times
Avoid the west side, east side, and south side. If they are spending 500k on a house I can't imagine they would even look in this area.
Nice areas near downtown:
King William - nice, big, and historic homes just south of downtown
Monte Vista - similar to King William but north, slightly newer, and further from (but still close to) downtown. Closer to the northside which has shopping and lots of the nicer amenities in town
River road - right next to Monte Vista, smaller homes but in an artsy neighbourhood. If they are super liberal or want to live right next to Brackenridge Park they might enjoy this area
Alamo Heights/Terrell Hills/Olmos Park/rest of Alamo Heights school district - this is probably where they will want to live if they have kids or plan to have kids and want them to go to public school. It is north/northeast of Monte Vista. Still pretty close to downtown. It's a very similar vibe to Monte Vista but slightly newer

There are other nice areas but when people work downtown it seems these are the common places to live. The other nice places are typically further north or northwest. If they want to send their kids to public schools but not Alamo Heights then it might make sense to move near Churchill, Clark, Reagan, or Johnson high schools, but if they are fine with private or charter schools I think "inside the loop" should work out

Old 05-19-2020, 09:25 AM

Thanks for everyone reply. School is not important being kids have finished high school. They never even been to the state before, they are just moving because of the jobs. They normally like to go out to restaurants etc

Old 05-19-2020, 09:42 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,773,330 times
Quote:
Avoid the west side, east side, and south side.
I highly recommend you do not completely shut out these sides. Especially if schools isn't an issue.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:47 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,690,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Thanks for everyone reply. School is not important being kids have finished high school. They never even been to the state before, they are just moving because of the jobs. They normally like to go out to restaurants etc
They need to visit and see what the city is like before deciding on where to live. They can take our advice, which is usually honest and truthful, but is full of personal preferences, as you saw above where someone said not to rule out the westside after someone else plainly said to avoid it.

Old 05-19-2020, 12:09 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,528,555 times
Rent for a year and get a feel for the city, 500K house in Southern California is much different than 500K in SA.
Real estate will also likely be cheaper next year if COVID affects the economy as bad as I believe it will.

Old 05-19-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Rent for a year and get a feel for the city, 500K house in Southern California is much different than 500K in SA.
Real estate will also likely be cheaper next year if COVID affects the economy as bad as I believe it will.
Yes i expect it to drop. I am realtor in California but obviously know nothing about TX real estate market. I been looking online and honestly would expect homes to be much bigger at $500k. For example i assume this one is in the center of the city https://www.redfin.com/TX/San-Antoni.../home/48725386
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio