Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:10 PM

146 posts, read 517,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Apples and oranges between the two cities. When house prices in Bulverde start comparing with those in Newport Beach you may have something to complain about...

Though it might have seemed like I was complaining, I really wasn't. I'm just trying to get opinions while in the process of figuring out which state and city would be best to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 12:41 PM

734 posts, read 3,015,864 times
If you are looking for the Sonterra/Stone Oak area with lower taxes, you do have a few options. Anything that is out of the city limit yet still Bexar County will have a slightly lower tax, although that is subject to change with future annexation. Where I live, Fox Grove, is one of those. (Not Stone Oak, but in the vicinity - Evan's, East of Bulverde Rd.) There are other similar areas - Bulverde Village on Bulverde Rd. There are some in Stone Oak as well, but those house prices are much higher. Are you speaking of the town of Bulverde North on 281 or the subdivisions along Bulverde Rd? Some people get the two confused.

Personally, I would pick this area over California but it would depend on many other factors: family, job, schools, quality of life, monthy expenditures, etc.

Last edited by Turtle_Mom; 06-23-2008 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 06-23-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Mom View Post
If you are looking for the Sonterra/Stone Oak area with lower taxes, you do have a few options. Anything that is out of the city limit yet still Bexar County will have a slightly lower tax, although that is subject to change with future annexation. Where I live, Fox Grove, is one of those. (Not Stone Oak, but in the vicinity - Evan's, East of Bulverde Rd.) There are other similar areas - Bulverde Village on Bulverde Rd. There are some in Stone Oak as well, but those house prices are much higher. Are you speaking of the town of Bulverde North on 281 or the subdivisions along Bulverde Rd? Some people get the two confused.

Personally, I would pick this area over California but it would depend on many other factors: family, job, schools, quality of life, monthy expenditures, etc.

Living in IL and trying to plan a first visit to possible relocation areas in a different state is difficult, so thanks for the help. I didn't know anything about subdivisions along Bulverde Rd, so I was refering to the town of Bulverde along 281 as a spot I was looking at. That is, if Bulverde Hills (15 minutes away from my work) is in Bulverde. I'm guessing it is but I'm not sure. Anyway, do you think the town of Bulverde and Bulverde Hills (wherever that is) will eventually be annexed? If not, that would be an area I might be interested in due to cheaper taxes ($3000-3200 compared to 4000 in Stone Oak, so it seems). Then again, even though it's only a 15 minute drive from Bulverde Hills to 607 E. Sonterra Blvd SA/Stone Oak (where I would work, but my wife would need a nearby hospital for employment), the property tax savings in Bulverde Hills might be canceled by the extra gas if I could instead find a house five or so minutes away from employers. Maybe one of the locations you mentioned would be the best place for my wife and I.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:

This is the bulverde hills area. I'm not sure if it's part of bulverde.

Driving Directions from 30905 Deerfield Ter, Bulverde, TX to 607 E Sonterra Blvd, San Antonio, TX

Old 06-23-2008, 04:33 PM

431 posts, read 1,204,175 times
Stone Oak, Encino Park, Redland neighborhoods, and even Thousand Oaks areas would be WELL WORTH the extra city taxes paid due to traffic and construction on 281.

Since I don't work near Sonterra, I would even pass on Stone Oak and Encino Park as well (for now at least).

Old 06-24-2008, 11:38 AM

734 posts, read 3,015,864 times
Yeah that is Bulverde, a seperate town.

There is a new hospital being built on Sonterra as well, so that would work for your wife possibly. There is another hospital on Stone Oak Parkway too. Bulverde isn't going to be annexed, I believe it is Comal County and not Bexar County... but I might be wrong. I don't think that is that bad of a commute, but 281 is getting worse and worse.

I say weigh your options, and cost comparisons. To me, living outside the loop and in a friendly neighborhood away from the freeways is worth a slightly longer commute to things. But I also live in the school district I want to, and near most shopping.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Yeah that is Bulverde, a seperate town.

There is a new hospital being built on Sonterra as well, so that would work for your wife possibly. There is another hospital on Stone Oak Parkway too. Bulverde isn't going to be annexed, I believe it is Comal County and not Bexar County... but I might be wrong. I don't think that is that bad of a commute, but 281 is getting worse and worse.

I say weigh your options, and cost comparisons. To me, living outside the loop and in a friendly neighborhood away from the freeways is worth a slightly longer commute to things. But I also live in the school district I want to, and near most shopping.
Thanks for the info. Yes, Bulverde is 11 miles north on 281 is a seperate town. It's Bulverde Hills that I'm not sure where is or what it is. So is highway 281 going to be the new toll road or will highway 281 remain in addition to the new toll road that is being built? I wonder how much the tolls will be if that new toll road will be the only way from Bulverde into the Sonterra Blvd area. I know around Chicago there are some pricey tolls. Some 3$ something each way. If the 281 toll will be around that, the extra gas and 5 day round trip toll will make it more expensive to live in Bulverde than in Stone Oak. I'm guessing the construction and the commuting from the small towns of Bulverde and Timberwood Park are the causes of the severe traffic. Is that correct or is there traffic coming from other areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio