Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 03:36 AM

222 posts, read 706,831 times

Advertisements

Homeowner shoots, injures intruder on Northwest Side (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA070108.METRO.shooting.fb1295b.html - broken link)

I went outside because my dog was going NUTS about twenty minutes before this happened. I went outside again when he wouldn't quit barking and noticed police lights all over the place behind us and saw a helicopter hovering right above us with a spotlight on. I figured someone was hurt but over here it's usually an ambulance picking up an old person. I can't believe I didn't make more of the hovering helicopter. What an idiot! My dog NEVER goes crazy like he did tonight, either, which was what prompted me to go outside. I love that little mutt. If anyone WAS contemplating our house I'm sure he was a huge deterrent.

We've been begging for more lights over here for ages. Break ins and burglaries have been WAY up but there hasn't be anything this scary that has happened. Most of it is the "bust into your car around 3 am garbage". It's SUPER dark though and we're easy targets when it comes to that (well, not us with our million watt lights, mini attack dog and security cameras!) Maybe someone will listen now, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 03:47 AM

604 posts, read 1,531,237 times
All I can say is that I HOPE I have the peace or piece ( ) of mind to stay calm as these homeowners did and properly choose,between the 357, shot gun or 22.....if some one ever breaks into our home!

Old 07-01-2008, 04:11 AM

222 posts, read 706,831 times
I would definitely HURT someone. I waited up to see the 5 am news. They said he was a 21 year old male on a bike and he had BEER. I'm SICK right now. My daughter and I left late (but before everything happened) after my husband got home from work to return a few redbox movies and there was a guy on a bike behind us and across the street. He got really close to the window and stared right into the car on my side. I was trying to back out and he just kind of stayed there looking at us like "I dare you to back up while I"m in the way". If the bike is a smaller dirt bike (and this guy was older. . he looked out of place on it) then I'm sure it's the guy. He LOOKED like a creep, I'd never seen him here before and he was definitely a troublemaker. I feel pretty gross right now.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:46 AM

266 posts, read 706,775 times
well it may be cold hearted but i say good. one less pos off the planet. thank god we are in texas. in montana they probably would charge the home owner, its crazy up there.

good news for you is crime will drop in your area for a while!

Old 07-01-2008, 07:20 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,715,840 times
Man cleared in shooting to death two people who broke into neighbor's home:

Texas man cleared in fatal shootings of suspected burglars - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-na-shoot1-2008jul01,0,6571056.story - broken link)

Old 07-01-2008, 07:47 AM

81 posts, read 230,732 times
gotta love a good ol' texas jury that can render a common sense verdict!

Old 07-01-2008, 07:54 AM

380 posts, read 1,280,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Man cleared in shooting to death two people who broke into neighbor's home:

Texas man cleared in fatal shootings of suspected burglars - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-na-shoot1-2008jul01,0,6571056.story - broken link)
You got it first TNick...either way, I'm very happy for Mr. Horn.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:54 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,400,668 times
Best part about this is it gives new meaning to "just a home robbery". Those were almost becoming tolerable as long as the perp didn't hurt anyone, but now the tables have turned. Hopefully this will be an avenue that civilians can use to trim down the numbers of bad guys and so far it seems to be very effective. All those nay sayers that claimed the armed homeowner could probably have their gun used against them are definitely eating crow. I have yet to hear of that happening since the Castle Doctrine was signed.

and I heard about that guy in Pasadena being cleared last night. Where I work, we were cheering him on in the hope that the law could be expanded even further and we weren't disappointed. The bad guys should be realizing they're actually the bad guys and the law is finally not on their side..

Old 07-01-2008, 08:16 AM

4,132 posts, read 7,198,272 times
The area is called Lindsey Place. Looks nice from the outside but when you get in there it's another story.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:32 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,715,840 times
If I witnessed someone breaking into a house and stealing my neighbor's stuff, I would call the cops and video tape the entire thing--they'll get everything back and more from the insurance company. I dont' think I would be able to kill people for stealing material things that can be replaced. HOWEVER, if someone broke into my house and my family was in danger, I'd shoot, even if they are unarmed. The risk of them returning to your house again in the future is pretty common. I've witnessed this happen to a neighbor in a town I used to live in.

I THINK Mr. Horn did the wrong thing by shooting two burglars at an empty house with their backs away from him...they were already running away. It was not even his place. Even Mr. Horn has gone on the record to say that he wished he did not shoot them. He got caught up in the moment and I'm not too sure what I'd do in his place.

I think there's a difference here. Thoughts? Burglars could care less whether someone is gonna shoot at them or not, it certainly hasn't detered anyone from breaking into homes...an all time high even now in Texas.

P.S> The burglars were illegal immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio