U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-19-2008, 08:42 AM
 
59 posts, read 55,961 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi

Excuse my lack of knowlege but I think I am excused cuz I will be coming to the US for the first time ! I just wana know if you guys get any life- threatning extreme weather conditions in SA, cuz I think the Southern coast of the states is the area that is prone most to such threats. I have also heared that there are snakes in Texas !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have only seen snakes on TV before and they scare the s**t outta me even when they are only shown on TV ! So do you get lots of them in San Antonio ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-19-2008, 08:53 AM
 
259 posts, read 819,992 times
Reputation: 132
Plenty of snakes here, but you'd have a hard time finding an area of this country that doesn't have them. It's no big deal.

The chances of getting killed by a snake, tornado, lightning or flood are about the same as winning the lottery. Relax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 09:02 AM
 
59 posts, read 55,961 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
Plenty of snakes here, but you'd have a hard time finding an area of this country that doesn't have them. It's no big deal.

The chances of getting killed by a snake, tornado, lightning or flood are about the same as winning the lottery. Relax.
Mind you the first time I have ever played the lottery I won ( not the grand prize though) so you never know where the luck is hiding hhhhhhhhhhhhh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 09:03 AM
 
656 posts, read 1,686,251 times
Reputation: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromThereNearHere View Post
Hi

Excuse my lack of knowlege but I think I am excused cuz I will be coming to the US for the first time ! I just wana know if you guys get any life- threatning extreme weather conditions in SA, cuz I think the Southern coast of the states is the area that is prone most to such threats. I have also heared that there are snakes in Texas !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have only seen snakes on TV before and they scare the s**t outta me even when they are only shown on TV ! So do you get lots of them in San Antonio ?
San Antonio is far enough inland where Hurricanes (which can affect the entire East and Southern coasts) are significantly weakened before they get here, typically we just get heavy tropical rain out of them. You could easily go four years and never even see that though.

Tornadoes (which are very different from Hurricanes) typically run from north Texas all the way up the middle of the country. I can't remember a Tornado ever having an effect on San Antonio proper, but there have been some within 100 miles or so.

Earthquakes also are not a problem here. In fact several large companies have located data centers here because of how unlikely it is to have natural disasters affect the facility.

Ohh, and I don't think I've ever seen a poisonous snake within the City Limits. Besides unless your messing with the snake they are more likely to try to slither off than bite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 09:04 AM
 
259 posts, read 819,992 times
Reputation: 132
I've survived a tornado, but I've never won the lottery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 09:05 AM
 
259 posts, read 819,992 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty12 View Post
I can't remember a Tornado ever having an effect on San Antonio proper, but there have been some within 100 miles or so.
Tornado Damages NE Side Neighborhood - San Antonio News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/13685671/detail.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 09:10 AM
 
656 posts, read 1,686,251 times
Reputation: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
Tornado Damages NE Side Neighborhood - San Antonio News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/13685671/detail.html - broken link)
Well there you go... I stand corrected, although that was the smallest type and did not cause the kind of damage you can see in Tornado Alley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 09:18 AM
 
259 posts, read 819,992 times
Reputation: 132
A Google search found this right here on City-Data:

San Antonio-area historical tornado activity is below Texas state average. It is 19% greater than the overall U.S. average.

On 4/28/1953, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 15.3 miles away from the San Antonio city center killed 2 people and injured 15 people.

On 11/22/1961, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 5.1 miles away from the city center caused between $500 and $5000 in damages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 09:22 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
8,400 posts, read 20,157,873 times
Reputation: 4435
It's nothing to worry about, they do get an occassional thunderstorm that can be nasty but for the most part, you don't have to worry about the weather here anymore than anywhere else.

As for snakes, most are more afraid of you than you are of them. Just use a little common sense (don't stick your hand under rocks if you are out hiking in the Hill Country) and chances are you won't even see one.

If I may ask, where are you visiting from?

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 09:26 AM
 
59 posts, read 55,961 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
It's nothing to worry about, they do get an occassional thunderstorm that can be nasty but for the most part, you don't have to worry about the weather here anymore than anywhere else.

As for snakes, most are more afraid of you than you are of them. Just use a little common sense (don't stick your hand under rocks if you are out hiking in the Hill Country) and chances are you won't even see one.

If I may ask, where are you visiting from?

Cheers! M2

I am from the southern part from the mediterranean sea but I have been living and studing in Europe(UK, Germany and Swizerland) for years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top