Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 09:52 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times

Advertisements

Where is Alon? There's an enormous HEB at Blanco and SR 1604. Surely that one won't close?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 10:10 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Where is Alon? There's an enormous HEB at Blanco and SR 1604. Surely that one won't close?
No. The HEB at Blanco/1604 just completed a huge renovation/expansion turning it into one of the largest HEB Plus stores in town. Alon Center is at the southwest corner of Wurzbach Parkway and Northwest Military Highway. There are three older HEB's in the general vicinity to the new Alon Center store: West/Blanco (now very run down), Lockhill-Selma/Northwest Military (also run down) and Huebner/Northwest Military (a converted Albertson's in a still nice shopping center.

When I lived in the area (in Churchill Forest at Blanco/Wurzbach Parkway) we had hoped the Blanco/West store would be renovated as it is very busy but in very poor condition. After Katrina and many of those apartments turned into section 8 housing the situation got much worse and we quit shopping at that store. Until we decided to move - the thought of a new HEB not nearly as big as the new Plus stores was very appealing. The Alon Center store will be about the same size as the Blanco/West store but much more upscale with some Central Market features. The question has and remains which stores will HEB keep/renovate/close after the new Alon Center Store opens. With the new community going in adjacent ot the Alon Center there will be more families so it might be that HEB could keep all the stores. But I doubt it. It would be nice if they kept all the stores but took the advantage of additional capacity to alternately renovate the older stores.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:11 AM

I also wonder what will happen to the HEB at Evans/281 once the new store opens. Obviously the old one will close...but what will happen to that location? That is a big store to fill.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:30 AM

944 posts, read 3,063,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Boycotting a store because it's going to move??? That's a good tactic to keep them in the neighborhood!

Exactly. Not to say I'm surprised of course...

Old 07-24-2008, 12:14 AM

796 posts, read 3,049,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
I also wonder what will happen to the HEB at Evans/281 once the new store opens. Obviously the old one will close...but what will happen to that location? That is a big store to fill.
You know, I never thought about that. That's a good question. Now I am curious.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:45 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
When the closed the old Austin Highway HEB for the new one they built across the street the old facility was chopped up to make small store space. An anna's linens, AT&T store, Fantastic Sam's and some other small shops went in there.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:01 AM

82 posts, read 310,975 times
Default Colorado Rust

The color is called Colorado Rust, and hopefully, when the plan is complete, it will appeal to more of us.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2begreen View Post
The color is called Colorado Rust, and hopefully, when the plan is complete, it will appeal to more of us.
Are you talking about the shopping center where the old Michael's was?

Old 07-24-2008, 06:52 AM

791 posts, read 3,960,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
That one may be because of the Presa St. HEB closing--the downtowners are upset about that one. The nearest one will be the new one at McCreless IIRC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Those people are stupid as the company is offering to bus them from the other location. How many other company's would do that?
There have been no concrete agreements or plans to provide transportation for local South Presa residents to get to the new grocery store - just a lot of public relations talk. Many of the residents of that neighborhood are low income senior citizens who will have no way to get to the store now, unless HEB follows through with their PR offer. I would hope that people around the city do demonstrate they care and are paying attention to this issue now that the TV cameras have moved on.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:03 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Celeste: I do hope that HEB provides transportation to their new store. I think that would be an amazing gesture of goodwill for them. I do understand that the residents have a valid concern regarding "their" store closing, and I feel for them. I think what bothers outsiders looking in is that they come across as if to say that HEB "owes" them, or that it's something that HEB HAS to do, when clearly they don't. But that has been argued in another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio