Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 03:53 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,825,678 times

Advertisements

I too think Dancing Bear is nice, but a tad overpriced. There's another subdivision just before DBR--Laurel Canyon Ranch I think. And as the previous poster stated, there's Bear Springs Ranch too. Much larger lots than DBR from what I've seen. I remember reading somewhere here on CD that the big building being built at the entrance of Bear Springs Ranch is going to be a Community Center/Guest-house type ammenity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 08:36 PM

288 posts, read 926,555 times
My husband and I actually looked at a home in DB this past weekend. This home was 2,500 square feet on about 2 acres for $285,000. We didn't like the home, it needed a lot of work, so we drove around for a while. There are homes of all types in the neighborhood. By that I mean styles, masonry, price range. There are homes those cost close to or over $1 million, down to the one we looked at which was the cheapest. Considering that land is cheaper just miles down the road in Lakehills, I too think the land is overpriced. We currently own two lots in Lakewood Estates, which is a subdivision actually on the lake. We have a lake park, pool, pavillion, and slip. We bought 2 acres with a great lakeview for $38,000, and 1.2 acres on a corner just yards from the lake park for $20,000. We like the neighborhood as it has county water and electricity. Some of the homes are older and not so pretty, but the new homes being built as well as homes built within the last 6-8 years are very nice. Our neighbor's home was on the market for close to $400,000. There are lots ranging from 1 to 6+ acres. If you want to DM me I can give you more information on the area.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:43 PM

86 posts, read 314,617 times
I am very familiar with Dancing Bear (I live there) and the Medina Lake area. I've been there for over 12 years and in the Bandera County area for over 20.

Dancing Bear's grand plan is to eventually be a small "city" - there are over 3000 acres slated to be developed and there is a retail center planned for the front. They say they are going to build horse stables, riding areas, etc at one end (but I think this is a *long* way down the road) And of course this was all before things changed with housing and gas, so it's slowed down quite a bit and plans may have been altered at this point, but I am trying to explain where the pricing strategy comes in.

We looked at a LOT of land in the Bandera, Medina and Kendall county area and for the price, amentities and school district, we felt like DB was the best value. It IS pricier than lots "down the street" - but you have to decide what's important to you. If amenities (free clubhouse rentals, free lake park rentals, fitness center, pool, gated entry, curbed streets, school district (esp NISD), underground electric, central water (which means no well drilling)) are what you are looking for, then it's a great place to consider, and in my opinion the ONLY place at the Lake to look. There are other areas that are cheaper (and still nice in many ways) but they don't really compare when you break it all down.

Laurel Canyon Ranch - very nice acreage, underground electric, a tad more reasonably priced - however no gated entry and Medina Valley ISD. Closer to San Antonio, further from the Lake.

Bear Springs Ranch - only part of it is NISD - the rest is Medina Valley ISD. You will find a variety of homes and above ground electric. The entry area is dated and needs work (although dancing bear could use some finishing touches too) Prices are lower here than the other two.

SAFD, I know the home you looked at - we call it the "sad" house (we have seen it inside) - unfortunately it needs lots of TLC and is not indicative of the quality of most of the other homes in the area.

I hope this info helps

Old 08-01-2008, 10:13 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadleyzoo View Post
I too think Dancing Bear is nice, but a tad overpriced. There's another subdivision just before DBR--Laurel Canyon Ranch I think. And as the previous poster stated, there's Bear Springs Ranch too. Much larger lots than DBR from what I've seen. I remember reading somewhere here on CD that the big building being built at the entrance of Bear Springs Ranch is going to be a Community Center/Guest-house type ammenity.
If you mean that huge white building on the left entrance, I believe that is a house and a very expensive one at that.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 8,450 times
Down the road a bit is Laurel Canyon Ranch. It is the same deal as dancing bear but is on a 1445 acre ranch with a 600 acre nature preserve. They also have underground electric and telephone and is on its own water system. The lots are starting at 79900. If you want to know anything else give me an email at wwcoffey@gmail.com.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 7,569 times
I live in Bear Spring Ranch and northside schools are great if you ask me if your child has a choice as to what high school you can send your child to. I would pick O conner over Taft. It is a newer school and very updated as for its campus and there education rates very high. The knowton elementry is ways off but so is eery thing out her but it is a good school. they are building a new school closer to still water subdivision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdoodah View Post
Hello!
We are researching the San Antonio area as we are being relocated for my husband's job. We would like to have a decent size yard with a 3000+ sq. ft home. We ran across the Dancing Bear Ranch information and really like what we've seen so far but realize it's only via the internet at this point. Can anyone tell me anything about the area in particular the schools. We have read that Northside ISD is one of the top SA School Districts but know that ratings can vary by schools. We have two Elementary age children so schools are a top priority for us. I can't find a specific school name on the NSISD for this area but stumbled across the Elementary School name "Knowlton". Tax records don't have the School District mentioned so at this point I'm not real sure what district the area is in. How about private schools in this area?

Would appreciate any/all information you could share with me regarding the Dancing Bear Ranch area.

Looking forward to relocating to the SA area!

Old 06-01-2009, 08:22 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Nice and scenic out there but Booooooooonies!! Traffic out that way I could live without. Almost to the county park at the lake. I was out there Saturday; boats, trailers, jet skis , stupid drivers. Some dangerous areas for having to travel daily.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:39 AM

27 posts, read 69,482 times
Maybe take a look at Callison Ranch. It's on 471 a few miles past Talley Road.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:15 AM

4 posts, read 16,784 times
I have lived in Dancing Bear for about 4 years now. When we first got here the Elem school was Ward but then this past school year they opened Scarborough. The school is nice--I have had a few minor complaints about them but its a new school so I am giving them some time to get their act together! Here is my BIG complaint about the school system and living in DBR--the bus ride is horribly LONG. The elementary kids get picked up at around 6-6:10 am and don't get home until 3:45-4:00. Our kids are the first picked up and the last dropped off. The middle and high school bus comes at 7am and most days they don't get home until 5:45. That is a long time on the bus and there have been times when my kids didn't even have a place to sit because the bus was too full. My husband has spoken to the bus company multiple times--we have written complaint letters multiple times and still nothing has been done to improve the situation. We have been driving our kids to school in the morning and then letting them ride the bus home, that way it is only one long stretch on the bus. As for the drive/traffic, it is awful. I'm not going to sugar coat it--the roads were re-paved a while back and they added a couple of areas where you can safely pass, but if you get stuck behind one of those big trucks coming to or from the rock quarry, its going to take you a while to get where you are going. There are dozens and dozens of trucks on the roads now, so be prepared for sometimes long commutes. My husband works on Lackland and it takes him 35-40 minutes to get to and from work. Those are the two big down sides to being out here. On a positive note, the neighbors out here are great. Its like having an extended family. We have get togethers for all the big holidays and if you ever need a helping hand, there is always someone there willing. We have a club house now with a work out room that is open to all residents and a pool. There is also lake access across the street (even though the lake is so low at the moment its is dry) That said, there have been a lot of promises from the DBR owners that they have not come through on and sometimes I wonder if we will ever get everything they advertise and promise we will have. But its a relatively new subdivision and each year we get more things to make life easier out here. Thats my take on life out here in the "boonies"! Good luck with your search. txmom2twins

Old 07-29-2009, 12:05 PM

4 posts, read 16,869 times
Lakehills has been my residence for more than 25 years, long before the Dancing Bear Rach developed.It was a surprise since the property is real rugged. DB has underground utility, makes the property much nicer. And the swimming pool is very nice, it's just finsihed this past year, although the lake is very low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio