Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 01:16 AM

32 posts, read 77,883 times

Advertisements

Hello!
We are researching the San Antonio area as we are being relocated for my husband's job. We would like to have a decent size yard with a 3000+ sq. ft home. We ran across the Dancing Bear Ranch information and really like what we've seen so far but realize it's only via the internet at this point. Can anyone tell me anything about the area in particular the schools. We have read that Northside ISD is one of the top SA School Districts but know that ratings can vary by schools. We have two Elementary age children so schools are a top priority for us. I can't find a specific school name on the NSISD for this area but stumbled across the Elementary School name "Knowlton". Tax records don't have the School District mentioned so at this point I'm not real sure what district the area is in. How about private schools in this area?

Would appreciate any/all information you could share with me regarding the Dancing Bear Ranch area.

Looking forward to relocating to the SA area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 08:51 AM

I just found what seems to be an updated NSISD district map that show the Dancing Bear Sub in the Scarborough Elementary area. Does anyone know anything about that school other than it's just opening in Aug 2008?

Old 07-31-2008, 09:37 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,542,025 times
I was just looking at the Dancing Bear website and it shows Ward Elementary. I am unfamiliar with the area but we did drive by it this weekend while we were out for a drive by the lake.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:42 AM

15 posts, read 46,402 times
Dancing Bear Ranch is in the Medina Lake area and is a good 30 miles from downtown San Antonio.

Where will you husband be working?

Dancing Bear is a really nice development, homes are big as are yards. The elementary school will be Scarborough Elementary. Don't know too much about it.

Here's its website and a picture of it.

Profile : Scarborough : Northside Independent School District - San Antonio, TX 78238

http://www.nisd.net/images/dynamic/shead/179

Also, here's the Dancing Bear Ranch website:

Dancing Bear Ranch

Old 07-31-2008, 09:43 AM

15 posts, read 46,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygreeniii View Post
I was just looking at the Dancing Bear website and it shows Ward Elementary. I am unfamiliar with the area but we did drive by it this weekend while we were out for a drive by the lake.
That Ward listing is old, as that is the school currently serving Dancing Bear but a new school is set to open next month.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:54 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,208,719 times
Dancing Bear is nice but I personally think the land is over priced. It is not very pretty land, has a bunch of cedar trees. It goes for about $35-45K/acre, I just think that is high when you can go a few miles down the street and buy for $8 or $10K an acre. Of course you won't get the amenities though.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:56 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,542,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis View Post
That Ward listing is old, as that is the school currently serving Dancing Bear but a new school is set to open next month.
I kind of thought it might be.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:55 AM

Thanks for all of the replies from everyone. I just saw Ward listed as well so I was even more confused! ha!

Where are you refering to when you say "a few miles down the street"? We're not familiar with the area at all so want to be sure we haven't overlooked an area we should be checking out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
Dancing Bear is nice but I personally think the land is over priced. It is not very pretty land, has a bunch of cedar trees. It goes for about $35-45K/acre, I just think that is high when you can go a few miles down the street and buy for $8 or $10K an acre. Of course you won't get the amenities though.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:58 AM

Thanks for all of the info. I'm not sure of the exact location of the office as they have a couple of different ones so he will probably be going to all of them for meetings.

We're in the Austin area now and he currently commutes 25+ miles so 30 would be too bad depending on how the traffic is. Do you know anything about the commute from there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis View Post
Dancing Bear Ranch is in the Medina Lake area and is a good 30 miles from downtown San Antonio.

Where will you husband be working?

Dancing Bear is a really nice development, homes are big as are yards. The elementary school will be Scarborough Elementary. Don't know too much about it.

Here's its website and a picture of it.

Profile : Scarborough : Northside Independent School District - San Antonio, TX 78238

http://www.nisd.net/images/dynamic/shead/179

Also, here's the Dancing Bear Ranch website:

Dancing Bear Ranch

Old 07-31-2008, 01:34 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,208,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdoodah View Post
Thanks for all of the replies from everyone. I just saw Ward listed as well so I was even more confused! ha!

Where are you refering to when you say "a few miles down the street"? We're not familiar with the area at all so want to be sure we haven't overlooked an area we should be checking out.

You can buy acreage not in a subdivision and spend a whole lot less $$. There are plenty of acreage tracts for sale, you just have to check with the local realtors. Of course, you wouldn't have the rec center or pool. That really isn't my type of thing so it wouldn't matter to me.
Dancing Bear is right on the county line, so if you go any further north you will be in Bandera County which will put your kids in Bandera ISD instead of NISD. There is also Bear Springs Ranch, which is closer to San Antonio and still in NISD.
I don't mean to talk down about Dancing Bear, it is a nice place. I just personally think it is over priced for all the cedar trees and not many oaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio