Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 03:50 AM

522 posts, read 1,132,761 times

Advertisements

if you want a ton of hours, be an overnight stock person! my husband used to stock for heb. worst job ever, haha! though that's stocking in general, not necessarily heb. when he worked there, they never seemed to have enough people, people would not show up for work, which meant a but load more work for those who did show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 04:12 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,781 times
My very first job was as a bagger at HEB. I was there probably less than 6 months, the pay was very low, I was told I was going to be included in the next cashier training program but then found out I wasn't. So I went across the street and applied at Target! It was a much better work environment, paid more, although the hours lasted a little later in the evening if I remember right (having to stay after closing to re-organize). I also worked at Bill Millers, Walgreens, and Home Depot.

I guess the plus with HEB was that they started allowing me to fill in and help other departments (deli, bakery, maintenance). It was a nice break, and the transition to any of them would of been available if I had pursued it.

Since Bill Miller is also being discussed - it was one of my favorite places to work. The manager gave raises pretty frequently, I started as a dishwasher but began training as line cook. There were some hectic days, but it was enjoyable, and paid more than any other place I was at before then. There were many opportunities to help out at different stores as well, which were usually interesting. This was probably the only job from back then I look back on and sort of miss..

However, the best thing I ever did was complete nursing school and get my license...

Old 04-09-2011, 05:01 PM

417 posts, read 816,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christie1182 View Post
Another point I would like to make.. in San Antonio, if you don't have a degree, but have customer service experience, you might want to look at call centers.. They are less lenient on flexibility, but they pay GREAT! San Antonio is the king of call centers, from banking, to insurance, to sales, it doesn't matter! If you have experience in talking to people, you will more than likely get the job!
I totally agree with christie1182. I was thinking "call center" as I was reading this entire thread.

Being on the phones all day may not be your ideal job, but many call centers in this area pay better than retail. I don't work in a call center, but the company I work for is call center-oriented, and the employees get the same benefits that the "corporate" employees get...INCLUDING health insurance and tuition reimbursement.

It sounds like your GF has a lot of customer service experience, so it probably wouldn't be a huge difference to handle customers over the phone vs. in person. And if she's really good, she could move up - especially if she completes a degree. I have known many people over the years who have gotten their degree while working, and while it isn't easy, it can be done - and it is worth doing, because like it or not, companies DO value degreed job candidates. Degrees can offer you additional critical thinking skills that you may not be able to get in other ways, and it shows determination and work ethic when you do get the degree.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:05 PM

14 posts, read 37,465 times
I agree with you poopycat...call centers definitely pay better than retail! Yes, as a customer service rep, I get the same as an executive.. (as far as benefits), and it's often enlightening when the VP calls in to ask ME questions about their benefits! They work for the company, and yet don't even read their policy.. reminds me of the average person! It's even better when the come for a "visit" and sit with me, and get to hear the calls I take! It's almost like an eye opener for them, and they begin to realize the importance of our job.. and how it pays their salary, for the house they live in, and the car their driving! It's like undercover boss.. without being undercover, because I can not in any way control the next call coming in! Yes, companies do value a degree.. so it is nice to work for a company that doesn't look too much into a degree, but values experience in that field. I don't necessarily agree with you by saying a degree shows determination and work ethic. I know plenty of people that have a degree and have absolutely have no work ethic.. (makes me believe that they got their degree because Mommy and Daddy paid for it, instead of busting their own butts to earn it... a little biased, but so what, my opinion) Some times worth ethic is determined by one's determination to succeed... such as kids to feed, and a house to provide for, this alone is enough for one to show determination and ethic.. Sometimes it's one's upbringing that shows work ethic, and they may not have had the opportunity to finish school or even go to college. All of this is up in the air, as far as I am concerned. I respect your opinion...hope you will respect mine!

Old 01-08-2016, 11:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Is there some secret to getting hired? Call a lot? Go back in person to inquire after applying??

My GF has applied there and Bill Miller's numerous times. Can't get a call back from either. Lots of relevant experience too.

It's weird!

Do they start pretty much everyone at around $9 an hour?

Do you mind sharing (DM is fine!) which store you're at?
Hi I work at HEB. That's awsome that your trying to get in with them their a great company. Something you should know when you fill out your application those questions you answer heb uses them to sort out applicants based on the type of people they want working at heb kind of like the fire department does lol. So don't give up. It took my 3 years to get a call.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:56 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,196,629 times
Hi! This thread is 7 years old and the OP has definitely moved on...just sayin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio