Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 02:52 PM

531 posts, read 2,074,525 times

Advertisements

It seems like HEB has a near monopoly on groceries in San Antonio. I have been to several cities in USA and have never seen a company that has so much market share in 1 city. Why is this, is there any company that can compete with HEB?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 03:07 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
San Antonio is pretty much 'home turf' for HEB, so I think they work a little harder to keep the upper hand. There are other stores (most notably, I think, Albertson's). There are a few Fiesta's, too.

Anyway, HEB is a private company that historically has reacted quickly to 'needs' and provided good products for the price, as compared to the larger chains. HEB is growing, now, so it will be interesting to see if they can keep their competitive advantage.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:52 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Thanks to the huge military presence in this city, and the various commisary privileges at all the installations, the "civilian" grocery shopping market found itself competing with lower prices. Retired and off base/post military families needed to have a good reason to shop in the neighborhoods. HEB found the formula that could beat out the local grocers but still stay competitive with the commisaries. When I moved back here 10 years ago, there were Albertsons and Safeway....and a few others....one by one they closed up. Now HEB has it's "Central Market" stores to appeal to a higher end shopping market. They not only have gone international into Mexico...but are now spreading all over Texas.

They are a HUGE success story out of a small mom and pop grocery from Kerrville. As long as the military is in town, it's doubtful that HEB will hike up their prices. They know that they aren't really the only grocer in town.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:07 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,155,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
It seems like HEB has a near monopoly on groceries in San Antonio. I have been to several cities in USA and have never seen a company that has so much market share in 1 city. Why is this, is there any company that can compete with HEB?
There used to be a larger selection of grocery stores to choose from but over time, they've closed up shop. The sheer number of HEB stores in the city doesn't help if you're a competitor. Albertson's closed in 2002 because they were losing money in Texas. They also closed all their Houston area stores but there are still a few stores in Austin and over 75 in the DFW area. Kroger left back in the early 90s because I heard there was a problem with unionization and their workers wanting more money. Instead of caving, Kroger just abruptly closed their stores and left the city. Someone with more info on this can correct me, please. Kroger is very successful in Houston and the DFW region.

Through the years, grocery stores have come and gone. Handy Andy was here for a long time but in the mid 90s, it was bought by a company that eventually went into bankrupt protection. It couldn't sell the 21 Handy Andy's so the chain folded in the late 90s. There were other stores including the old grocery chain, Piggly Wiggly. There were warehouse grocers also including one called Mega or something similar. You pretty much had to shop from the open boxes instead of choosing items off shelves and you had to bag your own groceries which didn't sit well with people who were used to HEB and their customer service. None of these lasted very long in SA.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:27 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
Got to say that out of all the places that I have lived and spent some time in,(enough to do some grocery shopping) Denver,Austin, Dallas, Chicago,Indy, Cinci and Omaha I love HEB the best for the freshness and the friendliness. I remember when we just moved to Omaha we asked for some tortillas and they sent us to the chip section cause all they had was tostitos! That was either Baker's or HY Vee.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:19 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
I remember a big tactic that HEB would use against its competitors. They would run full page ads in the newspaper that compared individual prices in a basket full of groceries with side-by-side listings to show how much cheaper their prices were. After Albertson's departed HEB then tried to take on Walgreen's in the medical goods arena. Well....there are more Walgreen's than ever now. You can't win them all.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:00 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times
As a newbie to the Austin area - I have to say I love HEB. Fresh food, great prices... some out of the ordinary items. It seems like there has always been one main local grocery store in each major city I have lived in... NOVA area is Giant, Seattle is QFC - but HEB does it better!

Old 02-05-2007, 10:07 PM

305 posts, read 1,618,714 times
940, I think you are thinking of Mega-Mart. The location I remember was on San Pedro just past that neat saloon I used to go to but now that name escapes me. I think after Mega-Mart left, it was Eagle, then after that I think there was a dancing/disco joint? Probably this is one for the GBNF thread.

When I saw the title, I thought this was going to be about Green Acres.

Last edited by irnag; 02-05-2007 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: add

Old 02-05-2007, 10:18 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
940, I think you are thinking of Mega-Mart. The location I remember was on San Pedro just past that neat saloon I used to go to but now that name escapes me. I think after Mega-Mart left, it was Eagle, then after that I think there was a dancing/disco joint? Probably this is one for the GBNF thread.

When I saw the title, I thought this was going to be about Green Acres.
Up in the Dallas area we had a similar grocery concept called Sack N Save. It's still there (in Bedford). I hated it! I never could find anything.

I forgot about the superstores we have here now.....like Super Target and Super Walmart.....now with grocery stores included. So there are some options besides HEB. I hate them too, however....to be honest, I hate grocery shopping! Nothing like trying to read a tiny scribbled list and walk a football field length store (several times a trip) at the end of the day....only to get home an forget something important. THAT's what Walgreen's is good for.....

Old 02-06-2007, 07:22 AM

305 posts, read 1,618,714 times
I need to correct my previous post. It was Magna-Mart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio