Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:10 PM

141 posts, read 508,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
If you're talking about the store on the corner of S. Alamo and Beauregard (near Mad Hatter's), I'm pretty sure it's closed. Last time I walked by it was a hair salon I think. That store had been there forever, I was pretty surprised to see it gone
if the place the two of you are talking about is Tienda Guadalupe, then yeah it's gone. One of the original owners Danny Lozano, who passed in '93, was my cousin. i remember heading out there when it opened in the late 80's. if you ever saw a little, smiling Mexican lady dishing out homemade enchiladas, rice and beans, chances are it was my grandmother. i didn't understand "the arts scene" at that age, but i was intrigued by all the Day of the Dead stuff. i knew about it from the movie THE MILAGRO BEANFIELD WAR, so to see it up close was fun and memorable. did anyone on the board ever visit the store? i'm curious. thanks for the memories... (if i'm correct about your recollections. )

i think my grandmother still does some of the Day of the Dead stuff or can get some. if anyone is interested i can ask around.

Last edited by rexkwandosatx; 09-15-2008 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: added extra information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 10:06 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,136,780 times
Yay Rex! That was the exact store/gallery I was thinking of. I remember your cousin Danny. What a sweet. happy, enthusiastic soul, he was! I remember the first time I went in there. Me & my girl friends were riding our bikes, through downtown, then on to Alamo/King William area. La Tienda was open that Tuesday night, so we parked our bikes & went in. I was blown away with the Mexicano artsy kitsch. I remember buying a "Loteria" pin for cheap, and still have and wear it to this day. Your cousin Danny had such a strong pride for his ancestors and their culture, that it was natural for him to display it in a way that would make anyone interested. About 4 years ago I met a grievance counselor in Florida, that said she loved the whole Dias De Los Muertos celebration. And she loved comming to San Antonio, to experience it. She also mentioned that your cousin Danny's La tiende de Guadalupe was one of her most favorite shops to go too. You need to be very, very proud and honored that your cousin, Danny, helped open up many peoples eyes, to "The Day of the Dead"!

Old 09-16-2008, 12:31 AM

504 posts, read 1,457,062 times
there are plenty of botanicas on zarzamora and commerce all the way to zarzamora and fredricksburg. there are about 10 places. they are on martin, guadalupe, durango, all over the place.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:43 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,014 times
I used to pop in from time to time, but this was more recent so I never met your family. Lovely little store. Shame it's gone.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:59 PM

358 posts, read 821,395 times
I have a Day of the Dead shirt from Moondog Shirts in Austin. Not sure where she gets the fabric.

Moon Dog Shirts

Old 10-06-2008, 08:24 AM

260 posts, read 1,135,819 times
Alamo Fiesta party supplies on Main St has a ton of this kind of thing... we were just in there last week getting a pinata for my son's birthday, and had a lot of fun looking at all the DOTD stuff...

Website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio