Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 6,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele164 View Post
I need suggestions on good places to live. My husband will be working on the south side at 35 and 410. We want the best public schools for our kids, one starting kindergarten this fall. We are lookinig to spend $250,000 to $300,000 on a home. My husband does not want a long commute, less than 45 minutes. He will be driving early in the morning, around 6 am and later in the day after 6 pm. What are the best places to live with excellent schools, and newer homes?

Thanks,

MB

Hi Michele,

The Northside ISD and the Northeast ISD are your better bets for schools. You can find new housing along 1604 to the west side - Westcreek is a great neighborhood, Alamo Ranch, Arroyo Crossing, Legacy Trails, Sonoma Ranch (north a little more), etc. There is loads of newer homes available in your price range and driving distance. I lived in Westcreek and my husband commuted to Lackland. Average time was 15 minutes.

If you choose the Northeast side of town it would be a further commute and possibly travel through downtown, unless he looped around on 410.
Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 04:17 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,886,388 times
Ok, liet's stop bickering. You each have your own opinion, but the lady asked for help, not opinions and arguments.
Husband is working on the southside and southside has some very decnt new developements and the crime rates are no different than northside or westside.
Crime is not a big issue anywhere in SA. Gangs are a problem, and they seem to be on the east side at present.
Property crimes are pretty even all over town.
Southside is becoming the new northside. Stone Oak is nice and very trendy, but also the most inconvient place in SA to get to or from.
Check out the southside for new developemnents and also some areas have exsisting housing at good prices and lots of property for the money.
My opinion.
Now stop bickering and help the lady.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:14 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,032 times
She also asked for the best school districts and she's not going to find that in Edgewood, south san, or SAISD. The best school districts in San Antonio are AHISD, NISD and NEISD, that's not opinion, that's been true for years.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:06 PM

852 posts, read 3,814,417 times
Unless the kids are older, the schools don't matter a great deal. For quality of life, living closer to a new job would be more important than the relative ranking of kindergartens. The family could move to a good district when the kids are older and when they have a better feel for the area.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:10 PM
lcw

118 posts, read 669,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeAGradStudent View Post
Unless the kids are older, the schools don't matter a great deal. For quality of life, living closer to a new job would be more important than the relative ranking of kindergartens. The family could move to a good district when the kids are older and when they have a better feel for the area.
Do you have kids? I am guessing not as I am pretty sure you wouldn't want your kids in SAISD or Edgewood. Those schools are the dumps and in my opinion the most important years are the early ones.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:52 PM

162 posts, read 599,472 times
I live in Stone Oak and Canyon golf and I commute 35mile one way everyday, and I am on the road at 5:30am. My kids are attending Canyon Ridge Elementary, then Bush Middle and Reagan High. The Guadalupe Lopez Middle will be opening soon and the LBJ High in Bulverde Rd will be opening as well. This will remove the cap for Bush and Reagan unless there are more people moving into the community.

The traffic here in SA is ok compare to traffic in H1/H2 Hawaii freeways that I am used driving into. BTW, we paid $320k for Ryland Home's 3400 sq ft in a golf course community. We also bought two resale investment homes next to Warren High school and near UTSA (Oxbow). If interested, check out San Miguel, Links @ Canyon Springs, Ridge, and Fairway Bridge.

Aloha!

Old 02-22-2007, 09:57 PM

283 posts, read 1,836,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HI2VegasNowSA View Post
I live in Stone Oak and Canyon golf and I commute 35mile one way everyday, and I am on the road at 5:30am. My kids are attending Canyon Ridge Elementary, then Bush Middle and Reagan High. The Guadalupe Lopez Middle will be opening soon and the LBJ High in Bulverde Rd will be opening as well. This will remove the cap for Bush and Reagan unless there are more people moving into the community.

The traffic here in SA is ok compare to traffic in H1/H2 Hawaii freeways that I am used driving into. BTW, we paid $320k for Ryland Home's 3400 sq ft in a golf course community. We also bought two resale investment homes next to Warren High school and near UTSA (Oxbow). If interested, check out San Miguel, Links @ Canyon Springs, Ridge, and Fairway Bridge.

Aloha!
The extra travel time is worth it, isnt it?

Glad to see you made the right choice and made Stone Oak your new home.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0vemberHAWK View Post
The extra travel time is worth it, isnt it?

Glad to see you made the right choice and made Stone Oak your new home.
The 40 - 45 minutes commute is worth it. I met my boys' classmate's parents that work in the Toyota plant and live in Stone Oak area as well, and they also love it!

Old 02-22-2007, 10:06 PM

283 posts, read 1,836,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HI2VegasNowSA View Post
The 40 - 45 minutes commute is worth it. I met my boys' classmate's parents that work in the Toyota plant and live in Stone Oak area as well, and they also love it!
That is the exact point I have been promoting on this site for a while now.

If you have the means($$$) to do so, then I highly recommend living in Stone Oak regardless of travel time to and from work. It is worth it knowing that your children are in a safe area going to safe schools all in a beautiful surrounding.

And if you have high school age kids that participate in sports, well, Reagan is always the best at almost every sport out there!

Old 02-22-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
If they’re interested in those statistics all they have to do is simply ask whichever real estate agent they’re dealing with and they should then be able to obtain those numbers.
Wow! This is similar to the Papadon vs Olecapt (real estate agent) from the Las Vegas Review Journal forum at http://www.reviewjournal.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio