Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:29 PM

77 posts, read 480,925 times

Advertisements

After being stationed in San Diego Ca for 13 years. I actually grew tired of San Diego (imagine that) and wanted to go somewhere else. Anywhere but in the state of California. My last 2 yrs in the military, I got sent to Jax Fl and that was even worse. When my time to retire came up, I didnt want to stay in Jax and because of the expense, California wasnt an option. The family and I checked out San Antonio is this is where we are.
My honeymoon affair with the city is pretty much over with and my wife although tolerates it wants to move back to Ca.
Granted that even though our nearest relatives are in Ca, we own our home and I enjoy a pretty good quality of life that I could not have had in Ca.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 01:12 PM

63 posts, read 239,134 times
Great Question! My wife and I relocated here from California. We had discussed renting our house out and moving when the next day my company offered me a relocation package here (call it fate I guess). We jumped on the idea. I came here first to purchase a home and my wife soon followed. I don't have family ties in SA but I do in East Texas. It's great, I'm still far enough for them to have to call before they come over. lol
We don't regret moving here. The weather is great and my wife enjoys the fact that her full time job is now working out five days a week and Lifetime. The lifestlye here is great for families. However, we really miss going to Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley, San Francisco and on and on.
We'll probably move back after our renters lease is up at the end of this year. I love Texas but I didn't realize how much we'd miss the mountains, wine country and the bonfires on the beach. To each his own. Good luck!!

Last edited by WarrenFamilyFaith; 02-26-2007 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: Correction

Old 02-26-2007, 01:33 PM

797 posts, read 2,992,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenFamilyFaith View Post
We'll probably move back after our renters lease is up at the end of this year. I love Texas but I didn't realize how much we'd miss the mountains, wine country and the bonfires on the beach. To each his own. Good luck!!
I love the weather here but I too did not realize how much I would miss the NW scenery. I am hoping with extended summer vacations camping in our travel trailer back in the NW will hold me over and keep up is SA longterm.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:50 PM

545 posts, read 2,284,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
I believe he’s talking about staying in San Antonio prior to meeting his wife. He had no family ties to stay however he did.
You beat me to the punch...that's exactly right. I had decided I was staying in San Antonio long before I met my wife. Moving to Chicago only sealed the deal in my mind.

After moving there, I have to echo many of the things winst0n said...especially the part about wasting so much money on rent. I'll add parking to that as well. We could have never afforded our own home in Chicago, but here, we live very comfortably.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:16 PM

469 posts, read 2,342,551 times
We moved here from San Diego because CA has issues that we no longer wanted to deal with. I had a job opportunity that was a creer change but allowed us to finally own a home and my husband can be an at home husband (he loves it). No way that was going to happen in California. Also it's more family oriented than where we came from. We do miss San Diego and all of our friends there but we're working on moving them out here. We're not moving back.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:29 PM

63 posts, read 239,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post
I love the weather here but I too did not realize how much I would miss the NW scenery. I am hoping with extended summer vacations camping in our travel trailer back in the NW will hold me over and keep up is SA longterm.
LOL. I hear ya. We really do like the "chill" factor here. We fly back twice a month which is why we're questioning our current situation. Our renter in CA is great and wants to continue renting and we really like our house here... We're so confused!! LOL
Enough babel.. We haven't seen the spring or early summer yet and I have yet to see fiesta and all of the other festivities San Anotnio has to offer. Who knows we may end up staying.....

Old 02-26-2007, 07:34 PM

162 posts, read 599,569 times
Lived in Waipahu, Hawaii since 1982, relocated to the 9th island in Las Vega$, NV, in Jun 2004. Didn't like it all even though I had a good job and a house there. After spending couple months during the summer of 2005 in San Antonio, I proposed to my wife, and she accepted even though she though that it's a cow town. We move here in July 2006, and we love it here! We already had five families from Hawaii, San Diego (Rancho Penasquitos), and Vega$ visited and they're working on moving here as well! We don't have families here, and there not that many Asians (Filipinos) unlike Hawaii; however, the people here are friendly which reminds me of the Aloha spirit. BTW, we sold couple townhouses in Hawaii and just sold our house in Vegas as well.

Last edited by HI2VegasNowSA; 02-26-2007 at 07:46 PM..

Old 02-26-2007, 07:45 PM

11 posts, read 43,136 times
Interesting! I hope to hear more responses. It sounds like SA grows on you! The cost of living seems to be enough to fall in love with the place.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:24 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,556,142 times
We moved here about 8-1/2 years ago from Southern California (were living in Menifee, but had spent the most time in Huntington Beach). My husbands company was opening a new facility here and he was recruited to join the ranks. Since housing was so expensive in CA and relatively cheap here, we took the plunge. Had never even *been in* SA before. Our kids had only known CA and were pensive. However, we all jumped right in to SA life and found many things that we loved. Through the years, I have to admit, I have missed SoCal (bonfires at the beach being one of the big ones). However, since the tiny, 1000sqft. house that we moved from now sells for about $850,000, we are priced out and could never move back. Add to that the fact that our oldest daughter married a native Texan (who would never *consider* moving out of Texas) and now has two little ones - there are roots here now. We've also come to truly *love* SA's downtown! When our youngest kids are a little older, we plan to escape the suburban sprawl and move downtown!

Old 03-03-2007, 07:19 PM

17 posts, read 88,358 times
Hi,
I just moved to SA from NY. I lived in NY for 25 years and decided to move to SA with my fiance and two kids because of the cost of living in NY. We sold our house in NY and were able to cash it in here for a larger house that my sons can enjoy. So far we love it here. My fiance does have some family here and I'm working on getting my side of the family here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio