Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 10:59 PM

32 posts, read 77,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Mom View Post
Not sure if Tejeda is 78258, I think that is is mostly Bush. There is also the new Lopez MS which is on Hardy Oak.

Neighborhoods that feed to Tejeda in the 250K-350K range:

Cibolo Canyons (Roan Forest Elem - New elem in 2010)
Encino Park Area - various subdivisions (Encino Park Elem)
Fox Grove (Bulverde Creek Elem)
Terraces (Encino Park)
Bulverde Village (Roan Forest - New elem in 2010)
Pinon Point (Roan Forest)

All these homes are off Evan's/Bulverde area. Just note that if you are too far North on Bulverde it's Comal District, and too far East on Evan's is Judson (Fox Grove is the last NEISD development, however the apartments across the street from Fox Grove are Judson)

There will be a new elementary school in between Bulverde Village and Cibolo Canyons in 2010. Out of the three in the Tejeda area, I personally feel that Bulverde Creek is the best - but they are all great. Encino Park is an older school, but still has an excellent program. Roan Forest is also very good, although several people I know have had issues with the principal. We have been very happy with Bulverde Creek.
Thanks to everyone for all of the info. We are in the process of house-hunting; hubby is already working in SA and the rest of us hope to follow soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 10:52 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,553,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Mom View Post
Not sure if Tejeda is 78258, I think that is is mostly Bush. There is also the new Lopez MS which is on Hardy Oak.

Neighborhoods that feed to Tejeda in the 250K-350K range:

Cibolo Canyons (Roan Forest Elem - New elem in 2010)
Encino Park Area - various subdivisions (Encino Park Elem)
Fox Grove (Bulverde Creek Elem)
Terraces (Encino Park)
Bulverde Village (Roan Forest - New elem in 2010)
Pinon Point (Roan Forest)

All these homes are off Evan's/Bulverde area. Just note that if you are too far North on Bulverde it's Comal District, and too far East on Evan's is Judson (Fox Grove is the last NEISD development, however the apartments across the street from Fox Grove are Judson)

There will be a new elementary school in between Bulverde Village and Cibolo Canyons in 2010. Out of the three in the Tejeda area, I personally feel that Bulverde Creek is the best - but they are all great. Encino Park is an older school, but still has an excellent program. Roan Forest is also very good, although several people I know have had issues with the principal. We have been very happy with Bulverde Creek.
There are one or two neighborhoods in '58, but, you are correct, it's mostly '59 AND '60. There are two new elementaries under construction, slated to open 2010: Tuscany Heights, and Bulverde Village (not official names). Until then Roan is capped in certain grade levels, overflow school is Bulverde Creek. All will feed into Tejeda/Johnson, with the possible exception of Tuscany. And yes, take one step to the north or east, and it's an entirely different district!

Old 12-20-2008, 12:14 PM

135 posts, read 512,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnzFam View Post

At this point we are really leaning towards the Krueger/Jefferson/O'Connor area house. We really wanted to wait to actually move until over the summer (so we could save up some $$ & we also don't think switching schools mid-year would help the situation at all, I fear it'd make it worse), & do some serious research/house hunting in the meantime, but not sure. Moving is going to be a financial stretch for us no matter what, but right now (Feb. 1st actually since we have to give our current landlady 30 days notice) would prove to be really difficult. Hubby doesn't start his 2nd job until Wednesday. We really like the house (especially for the price) & the area though so we're trying to decide what we should do.
Just a little update.

The realtor called late last night & told us to go ahead & put the application in! I guess he talked to the owner & they are willing to hold the house so we could move in Feb. 1st. Still trying to figure out if we can even do it (as in come up with the deposit) & we need to talk to our current landlady. She's been great to us & we don't want to step on her toes, but we're just worried if we wait until over the summer we won't find what we're looking for. Ugh, I hate trying to make major life changing decisions like this.

I talked to my son to see what his thoughts are about changing schools mid-year & he seems to think he'd rather move now, than later. That way he'd know some of the kids already when they move on to middle school next year.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:21 PM

135 posts, read 512,957 times
Any further thoughts on these schools?

Elementary: Scobee, Steubing, Nichols

Middle: Stevenson, Stinson

Old 12-23-2008, 08:36 PM

242 posts, read 665,424 times
Used to work at a school outside SA, and they did the same thing. Subs cost money - parent volunteers don't.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:59 AM

52 posts, read 165,513 times
I have 3 school age children. One in 5th grade at Kruger Elementary,one in 8th grade at Jefferson MS,and a freshman at OConnor HS. We are also a military family and move quite often and I will say that moving this direction during our, every 3rd year rotation in n out of SA, has been one of the best. All 3 of my kids love their respective schools. Last year when we moved here MS was the big issue for us because my oldest had gone to Zacahary for 2 months last time we were here and HATED it. I would strongly recommend these schhols.

And no offense to anyone in Bridgewood,but I have heard about things in that neighborhood and was told by family who are police as well as a real estate agent that the neighborhood is not the best. We live in Wildhorse and really love it here. Good luck in your search! If you are still looking there are a few houses for sale all around the neighborhood depending on your needs I think houses range from 2 BR up to 5 BR's! I'll be sad to leave in June!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:39 AM

4 posts, read 13,775 times
Check out the STEM academy in NEISD (www.neisd.net/stem) Our son was in GT all through emementary and his GT teacher told us about this wonderful program.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mec1976 View Post
Check out the STEM academy in NEISD (www.neisd.net/stem) Our son was in GT all through emementary and his GT teacher told us about this wonderful program.
Although the STEM Academy is new, my family has known 3 families who sent kids to one of the magnet schools at Krueger. In each of those 3 cases, the kids were unhappy with the magnet program and ended up transferring back to their home middle school. I'd recommend asking a lot of tough questions and speaking to other parents before sending a kid to an NEISD magnet middle school.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:55 PM

4 posts, read 13,775 times
My son was suppose to go to regular Kruger, which has a reputation for being rough. STEM is held at Nimitz for the middle school and Lee for the high school. I agree that you should ask a lot of questions, but don't judge every program by one.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:12 AM

905 posts, read 2,958,824 times
I can't speak for middle school STEM, but the STEM at Lee and the DATA at Roosevelt are both very good programs with excellent teachers. Call the schools and arrange for a tour or go to one of their information nights, if the dates haven't already passed.

I've heard that the kids that are unhappy with the program are ones that didn't want to be there in the first place. Then there is the maturity factor that is so diverse within the age groups. The kids that do want to be there will tell you they wouldn't go back to their base high school. They get opportunities there that they wouldn't normally get at their regular high school.

Feel free to PM me for any other questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio