Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 02:43 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,046,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
Can't they still just drive out 471 to Medina county and buy them there? (Or any other county)
I understand they wouldn't be able to shoot them in Bexar (legally) but buying them shouldn't be a problem. Did I miss something?
shhhhhhhhh!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 02:44 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,837,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
Can't they still just drive out 471 to Medina county and buy them there? (Or any other county)
I understand they wouldn't be able to shoot them in Bexar (legally) but buying them shouldn't be a problem. Did I miss something?
They will most likely ban the sale, use and transport of fireworks in certain areas also..as they did for July 4th.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:51 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,219,486 times
I can get them. Anybody want some fireworks??

Seriously, it is VERY dry and very dangerous right now. Personally, I don't buy them.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:00 PM

905 posts, read 2,963,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Whaddya think of this? This is going to strike a nerve on some folks.

Alamo Fireworks filed suit against Bexar County late Tuesday over its ban on the sale and use of fireworks this holiday season. The company is seeking more than $400,000 in disaster relief funds for the churches, nonprofit groups and families that work the fireworks stands as fundraisers.

Alamo Fireworks sues county (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Alamo_Fireworks_sues_county_for_non-profits.html - broken link)
Disaster relief funds? They've got to be kidding! Sounds like a frivolous lawsuit that should be tossed out!

Old 12-17-2008, 05:34 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,848,079 times
next the Hotels on Austin Hwy are going to sue because they are losing business due to the ban on 1 hour motel visits. ergo same result, same loss of business.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:39 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,012,345 times
Well the ban should have had public input.

That being said Wilson Co. and Medina Co. are selling them so why the law suit? They should just take their booths out there.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:09 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,021,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Well the ban should have had public input.

That being said Wilson Co. and Medina Co. are selling them so why the law suit? They should just take their booths out there.
It isnt that simple.. they have to pull permits one year in advance to even set up a fire work stand.. (city rules) Do I care that they are not able to sell fireworks? no.. but the people who depended on that money from the fireworks sales.. ie the churches and people who run the stands
that really do depend on that money to come in are the ones hurt from this...

basically it is a dog eat dog world..

Old 12-17-2008, 06:58 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,012,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
It isnt that simple.. they have to pull permits one year in advance to even set up a fire work stand.. (city rules) Do I care that they are not able to sell fireworks? no.. but the people who depended on that money from the fireworks sales.. ie the churches and people who run the stands

Thinks for the education I was unaware.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,163,206 times
I heard Alamo Fireworks president Michael Girdley on talk radio this morning speaking very cogently about this. After hearing the very defensive-sounding response that Nelson Wolff gave to a reporter's question about this lawsuit, I'm thinking that the most likely outcome is an out-of-court settlement of this case and Alamo will get some money. If that happens, it won't be popular, and as one of the talk radio hosts pointed out, the public will remember this case and may choose to stop buying fireworks because of it.

If there is a settlement, I'd like to see the fireworks companies cough up some money to cover the out-of-pocket costs of fighting fires started by their products.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:23 AM

657 posts, read 1,939,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post

What city? Most of these stands are not located in any city to require a permit from. They are outside city limits. This is why this is a Bexar county issue, and the county can only act under limited authority from the State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio