Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:45 PM

288 posts, read 926,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
If there is a settlement, I'd like to see the fireworks companies cough up some money to cover the out-of-pocket costs of fighting fires started by their products.
I second that (or probably hundreth it by this point), but in all seriousness, I think Alamo should be embarrassed for filing such a lawsuit. It is not a light issue for the county to enforce such a rule which impacts an industry. They do not come to these decisions quickly (for the most part ). It is very upsetting to me that Alamo is taking a decision to help PROTECT LIVES and making it the equivalent of a sum of money. Actually, it is infuriating to me! If a firefighter were to become injured while fighting a fire started by fireworks can they sue the fireworks industry? Ask any firefighter about last New Year's and they will tell you they are thrilled with the thought of lessening the risk of danger even a little bit. Yes, there are going to be "those people" using fireworks, but it WILL be decreased. Last New Year's was proof enough that they should be banned forever. Period. It actually surprises me that fireworks are legal and actually geared towards the younger crowd. It's illegal to walk across the street without using a cross-walk, even when sober and there are no cars, but its legal to be drunk, in a large group of people, around children and homes, and use a flame to light another explosive which is intended to "go round and round wherever it goes where it stops nobody knows"?!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 09:02 AM

340 posts, read 645,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFD_Wife View Post
I second that (or probably hundreth it by this point), but in all seriousness, I think Alamo should be embarrassed for filing such a lawsuit. It is not a light issue for the county to enforce such a rule which impacts an industry. They do not come to these decisions quickly (for the most part ). It is very upsetting to me that Alamo is taking a decision to help PROTECT LIVES and making it the equivalent of a sum of money. Actually, it is infuriating to me! If a firefighter were to become injured while fighting a fire started by fireworks can they sue the fireworks industry? Ask any firefighter about last New Year's and they will tell you they are thrilled with the thought of lessening the risk of danger even a little bit. Yes, there are going to be "those people" using fireworks, but it WILL be decreased.
I agree. Just before New Year's in 2005, some kids with fireworks caused a large fire that spread through Kennedale and Arlington Texas, taking several homes with it. As a volunteer wildland firefighter living across the street from where it started, I packed up and helped fight it, along with many neighbors. My uncle and one of the homeowners (whose house burned to the ground) were almost seriously injured or killed when a propane tank was comprimised. I am 100% for a fireworks ban when the conditions warrant it and for heavy enforcement. Unfortunately, a fireworks ban wasn't issued for Tarrant County that year until two days after the devastating north Texas fires.

Safety trumps profits and fundraising. Simple as that.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:29 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,838,481 times
Comal County, Kendall, Bexar and Guadalupe counties, in addition, Wilson follows instituting the ban. "County commissioners gave Quinney authority to enact a ban at their last meeting, he said. On Thursday he enacted a ban to take effect from Dec. 20 through Dec. 22 and wrote to Gov. Rick Perry asking him to extend it through Jan. 5. Quinney said the large number of fires during this period last year prompted him to make the decision in order to protect people and property. "
Looks like Alamo fireworks is gonna just go ahead and end up suing Governor Perry and get it over.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:39 AM

260 posts, read 573,540 times
They should just ban anything that goes boom,bang and is a threat to people and property!
It's illegal to have a pipe bomb, but firecrackers are o.k.? Why? They both go boom/bang. Granted the firework is not as dangerous as a pipe bomb but still dangerous.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:45 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,672,947 times
I saw two firework stands at corner of 1283 and PR37 near Medina Lake. I wonder how many of these fireworks will make its way into Bexar County?

Old 12-22-2008, 02:12 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,211,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
I saw two firework stands at corner of 1283 and PR37 near Medina Lake. I wonder how many of these fireworks will make its way into Bexar County?
There is a burn ban in effect in Bandera county. The stands will be open but they are supposed to eliminate the missiles with fins and skyrockets. We'll see

Here is a link to the article:
Bandera Bulletin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio