Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:54 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Well...she is an actor! If you've heard her in a regular interview her accent is not at all offensive. She has a very gentle personality with some serious smarts to go with it!
And you forgot the killer abs. She still looks good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 08:06 PM

322 posts, read 903,199 times
I heard Fran Drescher had taken lessons to get rid of the accent and had gotten good at sounding intelligent. Then the producers of "the Nanny" wanted her to play up her accent as much as possible.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:28 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
I've met and greeted some people. It just helps to work with me..

Old 12-23-2008, 04:35 PM

5 posts, read 15,807 times
South Bound: I'm from Pittsfield, just around the corner from you. Moved to be near my daughter. She's been here 3 years and has heard a couple comments about us Yankees overrunning the state, but it was done in (mostly) a jestfull way. She did notice that more drivers would not give her a break on the road when she had MA plates on, as opposed to after getting her TX plates. Be prepared for aggressive drivers. I've been given the "one finger salute" twice in my 6 weeks that I've moved here. Better get those plates changed! I find people to be friendly but on the reserved side compared to the North East. Its different here and takes some getting used to. Needless to say, the weather is much nicer. Good luck!

Old 12-23-2008, 08:34 PM

242 posts, read 665,658 times
I was born and raised in Holyoke, although I moved down here after 20+ years in NY. Haven't really encountered any prejudices down here, except for maybe a few scattered individuals (which you get anywhere). Agree with most of the other posters. BTW, if you decide to make the move, which I recommend, DM me - love to keep in touch with someone from "the old neighborhood".

Old 12-30-2008, 12:08 AM

187 posts, read 946,159 times
So I went to grad school in Chicago. A year or so after I was there my grandmother called me.

"I want you to have fun while your up there but never forget your from south of the Mason-Dixon line."

I will always remember this. It was great.

Me personally? I do see a lot of yankee influence here already which is a bit disconcerting. I just hope we never lose our southern hospitality, Tex Mex and our laid back attitude.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:09 AM

46 posts, read 138,091 times
Thanks so much for everyone who posted! This did a lot to overcome my hubby's nerves!

Now if I can just get him to cut the apron strings from his mom so we can make the move....

Old 01-02-2009, 10:46 AM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,977 times
Yankee Doodle went to town a riding on a pony,
pulled a feather out his butt,
and called it maccaroni!!

Sorry, im an idiot sometimes.....had to. As long as a Yankee isn't a fan of the "Yankees" he's alrighty in my book!

Old 01-03-2009, 09:16 AM

46 posts, read 138,091 times
No, he's a Red Sox fan! Now I need to convince him to make the move.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:16 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,723 times
My question remains: Why do we still even call people 'Yankees?' A bit archaic if you ask me and reeks of people who still live in the past. The war (at least, the civil) is over.

I don't see people calling Southerners 'Rebels.' When I encounter people who insist on calling me Yankee (thanks to my Chicago heritage), I usually peg them as idiots. It's not just beating a dead horse, but overall bad manners. I see no need for any of it.

Just my opinion. We're all people, no matter WHERE we come from

BN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio