Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 12:16 PM

15 posts, read 121,158 times

Advertisements

The 2008 phone books came out and guess what!
My privacy has been stolen! Now everyone knows my number and exactly where we live!
THIS IS UNFORGIVABLE AND INEXCUSABLE!

EVERYONE CHECK YOUR PHONE BOOKS IF YOU HAVE A RESTRICTED PHONE NUMBER!

THIS SHOULD BE CONSIDERED A FEDERAL VIOLATION OF THE PRIVACY ACT! WE ARE VERY CLOSE TO OBTAINING AN ATTORNEY'S ADVICE.

Now I have 30 years worth of relatives and businesses to contact and to ICE THE CAKE!
Time Warner said they would have to add an additional charge of $4 a month more to our bill for keeping an unlisted phone number!? WTH!!!!
I DON'T THINK SO, since they promised the service switch from Ma bell would never be altered!

You also loose the ability to block last incoming phone numbers with Time Warner/roadrunner.

WE ARE VERY UNHAPPY CAMPERS!

If there are any attorney's out there reading this please post on a possible reimbursement solution to having our privacy violated so freely.

This is going to take weeks to notify everyone that our number of 30 years has changed and now it's going to take another 3-6 months to register the new number with the national do not call list too!

TIME WARNER LISTEN UP! YOUR LOOOOOOSERS and LIARS and stop violating peoples rights to privacy just to make a buck.

Even though the time warner manager told me that they would not charge me the $4 a month (which I imagine will be another lie when the bill comes out) for their blunder to change my number and keep it private this does not even begin to cover my privacy release issues nor the time to change 30 years of personal and business contacts!

Did you also release all the private phone listing to your favorite basketball spokes people?!
I bet you didn't dare screw them over because you know they would sue the pants off you for privacy violation issues!, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 12:27 PM

127 posts, read 494,928 times
LOL @ landlines...

Old 02-09-2008, 01:00 PM

470 posts, read 1,952,494 times
Texasoasis, I don't mean to be rude or pushy, but please... if you find it in your heart...

Tell us how you really feel.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinocowboy View Post
Texasoasis, I don't mean to be rude or pushy, but please... if you find it in your heart...

Tell us how you really feel.
I know I lost it there but I really can not stomach lairs, and this is twice now they have told us lies about our service pricing would never increase and now the lie about the privacy number.

I can't be the only person this has happened to, I hope there is a class action suit come from this, privacy issues are serious matters in today's times.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledWife View Post
LOL @ landlines...
I know, landlines are considered silly now but I am a caregiver to a 78 years old stroke victim so getting contact with 911 is the most important issue why we didn't go cellular, I understand that calling 911 on a cell can be sketchy especially if the weather is bad, and that is when you would need them the most.

Husband carries a cell but it goes with him to work.

I am so stupid for ever trusting a cable tv company with such an important thing as our phone service.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Nowadays, I don't think that an unlisted number is particularly valuable.

My phone number is listed and I average less than one unsolicited call a week. Since I'm on the Do-Not-Call list, the only unsolicited phone calls I get are from places I do business with that have my number anyway; political calls; survey calls and calls from charities. In the latter 3 cases, they're exempt from the DNC list and they probably use robo-dialers that call numbers in numerical order, regardless of whether they are listed. I don't see how an additional $4/month for an unlisted number would get me $4 worth of benefit.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Nowadays, I don't think that an unlisted number is particularly valuable.

My phone number is listed and I average less than one unsolicited call a week. Since I'm on the Do-Not-Call list, the only unsolicited phone calls I get are from places I do business with that have my number anyway; political calls; survey calls and calls from charities. In the latter 3 cases, they're exempt from the DNC list and they probably use robo-dialers that call numbers in numerical order, regardless of whether they are listed. I don't see how an additional $4/month for an unlisted number would get me $4 worth of benefit.
Hi Bowie!
Well I agree I do work nights and sleep days so day calls are a problem, but the main issue with them giving out my private phone number in the phone book is my address is there for everyone to find. I live a very private life and just don't let every tom, dick or harry know my home address.
Now it is in the phone book!

I wonder if Time Warner will buy me a new residence?
I really do need to get an attorney for this.

Privacy may not be a big issue to some but to others such as police officials, judges and that type privacy can be life or death if some grudge filled lunatic can just pop open the phone book and drive to your house!

That is why being unlisted is such a good thing and Time Warner violated this trust!

Old 02-09-2008, 03:53 PM

778 posts, read 2,503,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasoasis View Post
I know, landlines are considered silly now but I am a caregiver to a 78 years old stroke victim so getting contact with 911 is the most important issue why we didn't go cellular, I understand that calling 911 on a cell can be sketchy especially if the weather is bad, and that is when you would need them the most.

Husband carries a cell but it goes with him to work.

I am so stupid for ever trusting a cable tv company with such an important thing as our phone service.
Two quick points: Not to rag on TWC, but when I had my phone through them, it was an absolute necessity to have a cell phone. My phone was out at least once a month, and sometimes for more than 24 hours. Try calling 9-1-1 when the cable is out.

Second, other than it is a total pain in the butt, now that you have changed your phone number, what is the issue? If someone looks you up in the phone book, and calls the old number, it won't get to you anyway. If your complaint is about the address, I got news for you, your name and address is part of the public record via Bexar Appraisal District. Unless you have been renting for the past 30 years and don't own.

Please don;t misunderstand; I'm not trying to say you are making a big deal out of nothing. If you told TWC you wanted your phone unlisted, they should have left it unlisted. But in the grand scheme of things, I doubt the Texas Hammer is going to be taking your case.

Sorry.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:18 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
Yea, and have you ever done a Zaba search on anyone....you can find WAY too much info on ANYONE on the internet these days...I don't think much of anyone uses the phone book anymore.

Not to quibble with your lack of security, but I think it may be a false sense of security if that is the issue.

It is like folks that like the "security" of living in a gated community....like every pizza driver (current or past) does not know the code to get in??????

Old 02-09-2008, 08:03 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times
I started out years ago with a listed phone number, but got it unlisted after a few years of being inundated with solicitations, crank calls, people researching their family tree, etc. It was well worth the one or two dollars a month for the substantial reduction in nuisance calls.

After SBC/AT&T jacked up the monthly cost of keeping a number unlisted to about five dollars, I decided to go ahead and let it become listed again. I figured with Caller ID, Privacy Manager, and being on the Do Not Call list, the need for keeping a number unlisted is not as great as it one was.

In the two years since I've been re-listed, about the only solicitations I've received have been from companies I do business with, charities, and survey takers, but I got these when I was unlisted.

Also, AT&T doesn't charge to withhold your address from the listing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: